Opinion on the Jackson SLXT X Series Soloist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion on the Jackson SLXT X Series Soloist

Ok, so I have $500 bucks to spend and was looking at the Jackson SLXT X Series Soloist. Sweetwater is getting them in at $499.99. Does anyone have any info if this is a good guitar for the money? I currently have a 60s re-issue road worn strat with fender custom shop 57/62 puckups and some other mods and am looking for a shredder to add to the collection. Thanks in advance!!

I have a kawasabi green SLXT that I bought several years ago when they first came out. Overall it's a pretty solid guitar and fun to play. The neck on mine is very thin and the back contour flattens out where it joins to the body. Mine came loaded with EMG-HZ pickups as opposed to the Duncan Design that are currently being offered. It's not a USA model but for the money you get a pretty good neck through Jackson.

I also bought mine from Sweetwater and they were great to deal with. Mine had a paint defect across the face of the guitar and Sweetwater was very cool to work with and replaced it with no problems. I can dig up the contact info of the sales rep that I bought mine from. He was a nice guy and pleasure to deal with. I've actually bought some other guitars from him since. You might be able to give him a call and see if he can give you a better price if you let him know you are looking at pricing from other dealers.

Comment

I've heard far more good than bad. It's not hard to find a happy SLX(T) owner on the forums.

$499 sounds like a great deal for a new model. I remember that's what they first sold for back in 2012 depending on the finish. Though, I expect prices would've varied.
      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyryche View Post
        I have a kawasabi green SLXT that I bought several years ago when they first came out. Overall it's a pretty solid guitar and fun to play. The neck on mine is very thin and the back contour flattens out where it joins to the body. Mine came loaded with EMG-HZ pickups as opposed to the Duncan Design that are currently being offered. It's not a USA model but for the money you get a pretty good neck through Jackson.

I also bought mine from Sweetwater and they were great to deal with. Mine had a paint defect across the face of the guitar and Sweetwater was very cool to work with and replaced it with no problems. I can dig up the contact info of the sales rep that I bought mine from. He was a nice guy and pleasure to deal with. I've actually bought some other guitars from him since. You might be able to give him a call and see if he can give you a better price if you let him know you are looking at pricing from other dealers.
        Thank you, yeah it couldn't hurt to get his info. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
          I've heard far more good than bad. It's not hard to find a happy SLX(T) owner on the forums.

$499 sounds like a great deal for a new model. I remember that's what they first sold for back in 2012 depending on the finish. Though, I expect prices would've varied.
          Thank you, yeah sweetwater hasn't gotten them in and I just happened to see the other day they were going to start carrying them. I've heard a lot of love for Jacksons but have never owned one myself. I used to own an 80s charvel and I really liked that. I'm sure this jackson will be every bit as good if not better. I like that this model doesn't have a floyd rose, it's a hardtail. I prefer a hardtail to be honest for the sustain.

Comment

All my Jacksons are string thru body.
            The thing about guitars, especially mass produced imports, is a few duds often times get through. Make sure there's a good return policy and be prepared for a guitar that may need to be set up in order to achieve anywhere near it's potential. I've heard Sweetwater does great setups, though.

I've had bad luck with plastic nuts, but fortunately I can get a new bone nut cut/installed for about $40 Canadian, and the gal that does the work knows I like really low action.

If you're in North America I'd check the local craigslist if used is an option.
            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

The thing about guitars, especially mass produced imports, is a few duds often times get through. Make sure there's a good return policy and be prepared for a guitar that may need to be set up in order to achieve anywhere near it's potential. I've heard Sweetwater does great setups, though.

I've had bad luck with plastic nuts, but fortunately I can get a new bone nut cut/installed for about $40 Canadian, and the gal that does the work knows I like really low action.

I've been checking out craigslist, only Jackson in my area is a dinky pro. Doubt that guy would let it slide for 500 lol. The sad thing is I live near a crappy city that hardly has any musical instruments for sale. I've been checking craigslist religiously over the last 3 months and the most listing under musical instrumen I've seen posted at once was around 280.

Comment

Well just for giggles I messaged the guy on craigslist that has the Jackson Dinky Pro 2015. And said he would take 550 for it if he still has in a couple weeks
                ( waiting on my tax return).

Comment

Would the Dinky Pro on CL be similar to this? I saw what appears to be the same guitar on CL for $600. Not sure how some of the people on CL come up with their prices. Usually my starting point is 50% of list unless it is virtually new and flawless or a rare vintage model.

Comment

Originally posted by jimg871 View Post
                    Would the Dinky Pro on CL be similar to this? I saw what appears to be the same guitar on CL for $600. Not sure how some of the people on CL come up with their prices. Usually my starting point is 50% of list unless it is virtually new and flawless or a rare vintage model.

http://www.proaudiostar.com/jackson-...FYKNswodfy8Dqg
                    yes that's the same exact guitar. Same color and all. Well tbh he has it listed for trad for an evh charvel and I asked if he would take 550 for it if he still had it in a couple weeks. He said yeah I could probably do that, just get ahold of me if I still have it. I thought those guitars were going for around $900 new so thought 550 would be about right on price but after seeing that maybe not.

Comment

Tbh I would rather have this guitar in a hardtail. Does anyone know if they make a model in hardtail?

Comment

Yes, the DK2 does come in a hard tail, but maybe not with that finish. I don't know why that guitar is $499, but that's even less than the X series sell for. Those Pro series are in the $800+ ballpark.
                        Last edited by Mudlark; 02-05-2017, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jimg871 View Post

http://www.proaudiostar.com/jackson-...FYKNswodfy8Dqg
                          so is 550 for a Dk2 with a floyd rose a good deal?

Comment

You can find pre-2012 Japanese DK2's all day on most craigslists in the $300 ballpark.
                            The 2012-present Mexican DK2's haven't gotten that cheap yet. I personally wouldn't pay over $450 with a case and ebony fret board.
                            Last edited by Mudlark; 02-05-2017, 08:11 PM.

Comment

You can find pre-2012 Japanese DK2's all day on most craigslists in the $300 ballpark.
                              The 2012-present Mexican DK2's haven't gotten that cheap yet. I personally wouldn't pay over $450 with a case and ebony fret board.
                              wow thank you, the cl around me is horrible. I need to look at the cities around an hour or 2 away from me then.

Comment

Working...
                              X