Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bringing Guitars to Canada From the States?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing Guitars to Canada From the States?

I was on craigslist and found this guy: https://bellingham.craigslist.org/msg/5985880923.html

Trans Green KE3 in pieces that needs a new trem, and maybe tuners. Has real Seymour Duncans, everything looks to be in good condition, and it comes with a hard case! I am a huge Kelly fan, and the trans green is a wicked finish. I think the price is a bit high with the work that needs to be done but first I need to find out if bringing it home will even be possible. I was wondering if anyone in Canada has had any troubles bringing guitars back across the boarder? The new C.I.T.E.S. Law will make things a lot more difficult too...
    2014 Jackson KEXMG - Gloss Black with Seymour Duncan Black winter
    Charvel Desolation Star DST-1 - Transparent Black
    Epiphone "1958" Korina Explorer - Ebony

Peavey 5150 II
    Peavey Valve King 4x12 Slant Cab

A few years ago, I brought back a guitar from the US. I was there on a business trip and had no issues.
    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Call the boarder and ask.

I have had 0 troubles bringing anything across the boarder, but the new CITIES law may affect you. Call and ask, they are usually pretty good about that sort of thing.

Comment

If you're carrying the guitar with you as a personal item CITES does not apply...you'll pay tax if it's over your personal exemption. The info can be found on the CITES web site or CBSA web site

Comment

Originally posted by daisp View Post
          If you're carrying the guitar with you as a personal item CITES does not apply...you'll pay tax if it's over your personal exemption. The info can be found on the CITES web site or CBSA web site
          Agreed!
          JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
          Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I will probably call the boarder to find out more. I did a bit of research and I was hoping having it as personal effects would be viable, but I came to the conclusion that only applies when you are leaving your home country. That would be because you won't be bringing the guitar back and are essentially exporting it. Even then it still seams like there is a risk they will seize it anyway...

Peavey 5150 II

Comment

If you are buying a guitar as a personal item (not intended for immediate re-sale) then it's your personal item...your conclusion is incorrect..but do what you think is best! I've already done this several times without issue

Comment

Originally posted by daisp View Post
                If you are buying a guitar as a personal item (not intended for immediate re-sale) then it's your personal item...your conclusion is incorrect..but do what you think is best! I've already done this several times without issue
                Okay, I overlooked one section in the CITES Q&A article posted in another thread: http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/151...ighlight=CITES. Inquiry 43:

43. I rarely sell my guitars outside the United States, but I have a customer coming to the United
                States to pick up a guitar in February. Will they be able to fly back to Japan with their
                instrument?

If the individual travels to the United States and hand-carries the guitar, we will consider this a noncommercial
                activity and therefore not subject to the CITES listing for rosewood, not including Brazilian
                rosewood (Dalbergia nigra), which is listed in CITES Appendix I. Please advise your customer to confirm
                with the Japanese CITES Authorities that they share this interpretation. If they require that the guitar be
                accompanied by a CITES document, our office will be able to issue one, assuming that all legal
                requirements are met
                Here is the Q&A: https://www.fws.gov/international/pd...ember-2016.pdf

Thanks for the help. Going to call the border too at some point, but right now I don't have long distance calling.

Peavey 5150 II

Comment

Working...
                X