Belated NGD - Adrian Smith SDX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belated NGD - Adrian Smith SDX

So I didn't just get this guitar but I've just about finished setting it up so I like to play it.

I wasn't really looking for one but I noticed that this one had a few upgrades, including a Gotoh Trem and the change of pick guard with dual hums and single in the middle, which is better than two singles. Plus it seemed to be going silly cheap so I couldn't resist.

This one was made in Indonesia from what I remember the serial tells me and now I like it almost as much as my USA Pro Mods, and more than the Japanese Pro Mod I had, which I ended up selling on. It feels like a good, solid guitar.

I installed a real Schaller nut and had a recess cut to access the truss rod nut, and changed that nut to a 5mm one, like my other Strats that are modified somehow to access the truss rod without removing the neck.

I had the tech guy set it up but today I tweaked the truss some more to flatten the neck further and I really like how it plays. The frets feel really good.

I'm really digging have a strathead with the Jackson logo, like I saw a long time ago in the 90/91 catalogue.

I think this ones a keeper.

One thing, the trem is currently backed down almost onto the body, is that normal for these guitars?

Last edited by Genebaby; 06-29-2017, 12:03 AM. Reason: Photobucket!!!

Originally posted by Genebaby View Post
    This one was made in Indonesia from what I remember the serial tells me and now I like it almost as much as my USA Pro Mods, and more than the Japanese Pro Mod I had, which I ended up selling on. It feels like a good, solid guitar.
    A mate of mine recently bought one of these and brought it round, we got my USA production-run Charvel out and I think I actually prefer the SDX. Especially as the low E on my Charvel keeps going out of tune, I'm wondering if there's a fault with the Floyd as the string isn't slipping at the lock nut.

Comment

How does his trem sit in relation to the body? Is it regular height for a non-recessed guitar?

No idea what's up with your Charvel, but a better Floyd wouldn't hurt. I've changed out the Floyds on my two USA Pro Mods and this one came upgraded.

Comment

I wasn't expecting the zebras, but it looks very nice.

The post-MIJ's take a hit sometimes because of build quality, so it's great to hear a good story.
        I keep telling people that guitars need to be judged individually. Don't let one guy's good/bad experiences affect your choices.

I've got an Indian JS3 bass that has been perfect for 5 years. Does all the important things as well as my USA or MIJ guitars...sound, tuning stability, playability. In fact I can't find a single fault anywhere. Even the nut was slotted properly...unlike my MIJ.

I've also got a 2015 Chinese Ibanez Iceman with sloppy fret ends and crackling pots after 15 months. At $900 Canadian, it was 3 times the JS3 cost. The JS3 frets are perfect and the 5 year old electronics are still like new.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

One thing, the trem is currently backed down almost onto the body, is that normal for these guitars?
          Only if you'd want a non-pull up setup
          On mine I shimmed the neck so that the floyd rests almost flush on the body
          "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

How does his trem sit in relation to the body? Is it regular height for a non-recessed guitar?
            See the final photo in Post #1 of this thread: http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/149...in-polar-white

In other words, I was also disappointed that the neck pocket is made so that the neck is "parallel" to the body, forcing the Floyd to sit close to the body, rather than angled so that the Floyd sits higher.

If you want the Floyd to sit higher, you need similar ramps (shims) as these: http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and...or_Guitar.html

Comment

Love it! Congrats on that one, Vic.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                See the final photo in Post #1 of this thread: http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/149...in-polar-white

In other words, I was also disappointed that the neck pocket is made so that the neck is "parallel" to the body, forcing the Floyd to sit close to the body, rather than angled so that the Floyd sits higher.

If you want the Floyd to sit higher, you need similar ramps (shims) as these: http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and...or_Guitar.html
                Interesting. I see this is on your USA So Cal. I've only ever seen/played the San Dimas guitars, but all mine, USA or Japanese had the pocket angled so that the Floyd sat higher, just like 80's guitars.

Are all So Cal guitars like this too? Is it a pickguard thing?

Those shims look interesting, I might have to get one.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  Love it! Congrats on that one, Vic.
                  Thanks Joe. I keep telling myself, no more guitars.....maybe one day!

Comment

Haha! I tell myself the same thing, and I'm usually pretty good for awhile.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Interesting. I see this is on your USA So Cal. I've only ever seen/played the San Dimas guitars, but all mine, USA or Japanese had the pocket angled so that the Floyd sat higher, just like 80's guitars.

Are all So Cal guitars like this too? Is it a pickguard thing?
                      I have a USA So-Cal and a Japanese So-Cal and they both have zero neck angle.

Comment

Nice upgrades...I upgraded mine too, first off, I put in my all-time favorite screaming lead and uber responsive bridge pickup, a DiMarzio Super Distortion , next I noticed the whammy would not stay in tune for anything and I suspected it was the pivot point studs. So I replaced them with some nice chrome ones to give it a sort of mild custom look (love it!), and omg what a difference! I can yank on that sucker all day and it does NOT go out of tune now. Then because the high E would slip off the fretboard, I had the nut replaced with a 5mm, I think that was the size and also shaved a bit of wood under where it is installed so it would sit just a bit lower to the strings. Big improvement there as well. Then I took it to a shop with a PLEK machine and now I've got the action dropped as low as it can go with 99.9% no buzzing and bends anywhere with fretting out. The neck was shimmed with a single thin piece of wood so that the bridge floats just where I like it and can pull up as well as dive. I too love the strat style headstock and it's not near as easy to find an HSS like that these days for some reason. The only thing that I still smack my head over the stupidity of design , was making the truss rod to where you have to take the whole damn pickguard off to get to it. Brainless! At least companies like Fender have finally come around to the genius way of doing it that Music man started, with the hex wheel accessible at the bottom of the neck. Anyway, this guitar is truly my go to now for rock/metal now...only thing I may upgrade at some point is a Dimarzio single coil in the neck and possibly upgrading the rather flimsy but typical import 5 way switch.

Last edited by sixpick; 05-30-2017, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                          I have a USA So-Cal and a Japanese So-Cal and they both have zero neck angle.
                          That's really amazing to me. The whole point of these guitars with the Floyds on top of the body and no rear routing is that they have the angle in the neck pocket. This is a first for me.

Did you get any of those shims from Stew Mac? Which did you get? I am thinking the 1 Degree?

Comment

Originally posted by sixpick View Post
                            Nice upgrades...I upgraded mine too, first off, I put in my all-time favorite screaming lead and uber responsive bridge pickup, a DiMarzio Super Distortion , next I noticed the whammy would not stay in tune for anything and I suspected it was the pivot point studs. So I replaced them with some nice chrome ones to give it a sort of mild custom look (love it!), and omg what a difference! I can yank on that sucker all day and it does NOT go out of tune now. Then because the high E would slip off the fretboard, I had the nut replaced with a 5mm, I think that was the size and also shaved a bit of wood under where it is installed so it would sit just a bit lower to the strings. Big improvement there as well. Then I took it to a shop with a PLEX machine and now I've got the action dropped as low as it can go with 99.9% no buzzing and bends anywhere with fretting out. The neck was shimmed with a single thin piece of wood so that the bridge floats just where I like it and can pull up as well as dive. I too love the strat style headstock and it's not near as easy to find an HSS like that these days for some reason. The only thing that I still smack my head over the stupidity of design , was making the truss rod to where you have to take the whole damn pickguard off to get to it. Brainless! At least companies like Fender have finally come around to the genius way of doing it that Music man started, with the hex wheel accessible at the bottom of the neck. Anyway, this guitar is truly my go to now for rock/metal now...only thing I may upgrade at some point is a Dimarzio single coil in the neck and possibly upgrading the rather flimsy but typical import 5 way switch.

Cool stuff. The studs are the only part of the Floyd equation on mine that has not been touched, but I may look into it when I get the neck angle sorted now and if I have any tuning issues when I actually start using it.

Comment

That's really amazing to me. The whole point of these guitars with the Floyds on top of the body and no rear routing is that they have the angle in the neck pocket. This is a first for me.
                              I agree.

Did you get any of those shims from Stew Mac? Which did you get? I am thinking the 1 Degree?
                              I've been tempted, but I haven't yet. Currently I'm dissuaded because StewMac products are expensive, StewMac's shipping costs are expensive, and there is almost always a less expensive alternative offered elsewhere (e.g. eBay) though I have not yet been successful locating any "knockoffs". If I do come across any, I will be sure to share the link and my experiences.

Comment

Working...
                              X