Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD - Soloist SL7 (Pro Series)

Hi guys,

This year, after 20 years of playing guitar, and ten years making videos on YouTube, I wanted to do something special with a guitar. Something inspired by a piece of art given to me after a show by a fan who happens to be an artist. I've floated the idea of the concept I want to use in this thread: http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/152...series-Soloist

Needless to say, to make this possible, it was finally time for me to purchase another electric guitar. Being a huge fan of my 2002 Jackson DK-2, I naturally gravitated toward Jackson. This time, though, I decided to expand my musical range and dimension by purchasing a 7 string guitar - the Jackson Pro Series Soloist SL7 to be exact.

The guitar was delivered to my house the other day, and came with a Fazley guitar maintenance kit free of charge courtesy of Bax Music, so thanks for that, guys. I got a strap lock with it too, which is really nice.

PROS:

The oiled finish on the neck is sublime. It feels very silky and natural to play. The width of the neck, though different to what I am used to in the DK-2, is still not disconcerting as I thought it would be (I've filled in twice for guitarists who used seven strings, and played an LTD seven string and an Ibanez Universe, and I remember being very afraid and feeling comically like a beginner). It really is something which you pick up in a matter of hours and it doesn't feel unnatural at all anymore.

The satin black finish is really fantastic, and extends to the headstock, giving it a nice matte black menacing sort of finish.

The fretboard and fret work is really high quality - no need to fear MII as far as I'm concerned. The frets are seated really nicely, the locking nut looks well installed, the inlays are really nicely fitted and are made of what basically looks like brushed metal - a really cool idea for an inlay and set of nicely against the ebony of the fretboard, which is a deep, deep dark brown.

The Floyd Rose 2000 system is great, I've put it through a few initial paces and I'd have to say I prefer it to the JT-580LP so far.

The sound the guitar makes is really nice. There's a crunch combined with a good amount of sustain which I've really been enjoying.

The coil split function is a real eye-opener for me, I've never had this before and I see myself using it a lot in the future. The switch is also really tight and sturdily built, it feels very dampened in its motion.

CONS:

The pickups are a good deal more quiet than my DK-2 aftermarket ones. The DK has a Duncan Parallel Axis Distortion Trembucker in the bridge, and a Scorcher in the neck. In comparison to this, I expected the seven string Distortion set in the SL7 to sound about equal in volume to the pickups I put in the DK-2. Sadly, the neck pickup sounds a lot more trebly and brittle, and the bridge pickup a lot more hollow and quiet than I'd have liked. The actual sound is good, but the output deficit means I'm having to adjust to playing the guitar harder and working it more than I have with the Dinky. I thought I'd adjust the problem by raising the pickups closer to the strings, but since they're direct mounted... I can't.

The volume knob is at an obvious angle from the body. Not a deal breaker by any means, but enough to upset me for a brand new instrument.

That headstock is HUGE! So big that it won't fit inside a case meant for a six string Dinky or Soloist. But man does it ever look GREAT!

I've posted an unboxing and first impression video where I talk about all of these things, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGQOS41XIyQ

And a thorough sound runthrough where I do everything from raw signals, cleans, crunches and leads to comparisons to my DK-2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QMm7tr3keM

Enjoy!
    Last edited by GryphonGuitar; 05-29-2017, 08:07 AM.
    - Andi Kravljaca -

Cool. Is there no adjustment at all for those pickups? Is there any neoprene foam under them?

Comment

Well done videos. It looks amazing being black with ebony.
      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Kisonen View Post
        Cool. Is there no adjustment at all for those pickups? Is there any neoprene foam under them?
        It doesn't look that way, I'm afraid. When I unscrew the screws the pickup doesn't come up, it just get wobbly and comes off the body. Cool that it really is 'direct mount' I suppose, but it's unusual to not be able to adjust it.

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
        Well done videos. It looks amazing being black with ebony.
        It truly does. The piranha tooth inlays are a great help too, really bringing out the black in the fretboard. Loving the guitar so far, and thanks for the compliments about the videos!
        - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

Very nice! You'll definitely have to put some foam underneath the pickup to be able to raise it up. I had to do that with my Dinky when I put EMGs in it, I just used some extra foam that came in the pickup box.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Definitely, those pups would be raised one way or another if I wanted them raised.

I wasn't aware they weren't easily adjustable. That seems like a VERY bad idea. WTF?
            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Some pickup routes are deeper than others, coupled with the fact some pickup mounting legs are shorter than others, you'll need like a wooden "ramp" or foam under the pickup, longer wood screws (maybe even some surgical rubber tubing for the screws like some guitars with pickguards use) to raise the pickup to an appropriate level.

Or you can use the Mike Learn/FU Tone PMS Pickup Mounting System to help. http://www.fu-tone.com/catalog/index...roducts_id=261
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

That axe definitely looks like it means business!

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  Very nice! You'll definitely have to put some foam underneath the pickup to be able to raise it up. I had to do that with my Dinky when I put EMGs in it, I just used some extra foam that came in the pickup box.
                  But that would invalidate the whole 'direct mount makes for more sustain' Eddie Van Halen thing! -kidding.

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
                  That seems like a VERY bad idea. WTF?
                  Certainly a surprise for me, but honestly I've gotten used to it. There's enough gain to go around and I'm not 19 anymore. Those were the gain-maximizing days

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  Or you can use the Mike Learn/FU Tone PMS Pickup Mounting System to help. http://www.fu-tone.com/catalog/index...roducts_id=261
                  Didn't know about this - thanks! I was thinking of jamming a little piece of wood there otherwise, if I truly feel I need to raise them up.

Originally posted by BQlleFrQ View Post
                  That axe definitely looks like it means business!
                  It certainly does. I've even been reconsidering the artwork I'm planning for it because the satin black just looks so good. We'll see!
                  - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

Nice guitar!It should fit just fine in the Jackson badged SKB case.I have an older MIJ SLAT3-7 with the giant pointy headstock and it fits fine in all my Jackson soloist/dinky cases.

Comment

Working...
                    X