Old Texas flag DK2 Special run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Texas flag DK2 Special run

Do any of you remember who did those and how many were made?
    I thought it was a Guitar Xpress special but I'm not 100% sure.
    Have a nice day people.
    Facebook - Youtube

I've never heard of one.
    Anyone else?
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I never heard of it before this topic either. But now that I Google it, this page (http://www.jacksonguitarsonsale.com/...t-Job_149.html) says it's a factory finish, and this Reverb ad (https://reverb.com/item/4538635-jack...dk2-rare-texas) says only five were made.

Chrome hardware and Duncan Designed pickups means it's early 2000s. Mudlark might be able to to pinpoint a year based on the serial number. If what the ad says about there being five (or fewer) in existence, then I imagine all five would have been made simultaneously and would share a very narrow range of dates.

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 09-12-2017, 09:37 AM.

Comment

2002ish serial. Interesting.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Interesting. I'd never heard of that run, either.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Oh I remember the guitars, but I don't think it was such a small run. Only 5, for that price range, seems weird.
            Facebook - Youtube

Comment

It doesn't seem any different from a normal/stock DK2 of the time. The only thing different seems to be the special graphic, which is only on the face of the guitar body (not on the sides/back). Graphics on the Japanese guitars were done in Japan from what I understand. Would it seem reasonable that the production crew set aside a small number (in this case, five or fewer, assuming the anecdote is true) of "would-be-normal" DK2 bodies for the artist to do the Texas flag graphic?

What makes you believe there were more than five? The anecdote in the Reverb ad says these guitars were given to the sales team, ie - not for general sale. Methinks that a run of guitars made in larger numbers WOULD be for sale, but such a small number meant they were not intended for general sale.

I'm not doubting you at all, and perhaps I'm taking the Reverb ad anecdote too much at face value, but let me assure you I am as interested in solving fun mysteries on this forum as you are.

A Google search of "site:jcfonline.com texas flag" (https://www.google.ca/search?newwind....0.oj7aqIKUsnI) reveals zero relevant search results, indicating to me that this may be the very first time someone has brought this guitar to our attention. Couple that with toejam being here since the beginning and not remembering, and Mudlark the Human Encyclopedia not remembering either, and me being VERY observant and active in the early 2000s killing time on JCF instead of studying for university but not remembering, makes this guitar very interesting.

Comment

"killing time on JCF instead of studying for university but not remembering" Lol!
                I do reacall seeing the guitar here for the first time during the 2000's and for some reason the defunct Guitar Xpress come to mind, but as I'm not really sure, the Reverb story might be true.
                Thanks for chiming in guys
                Facebook - Youtube

Comment

I don't remember those either. I remember Guitar Xpress, and some of their limited runs.

Comment

That guitar makes me really miss my DK2LE #7 really badly. I wish I could get her back.

Comment

Working...
                    X