Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify Jackson Dinky and suggest drop in trem replacement

Hi,

Perhaps one of the knowledgeable people on this board could tell me a bit about this guitar:

The pickups have been replaced but used to say 'Duncan Designed' on them.

Interested in what year it might be, what hardware, and if it is any good?

Also considering replacing the stock trem with a Gotoh or Schaller or something. But DO NOT want to route the body or anything. What trem is this and is there a drop in replacement that fits exactly out of the box? Or is the stock trem on these meant to be decent (looking to change string gauge to 10's).

Thanks all!

That's a 2004-5 DK2 Dinky. Made in Japan.
    The tremolo is a JT580LP and many have changed them for an Original Floyd. A Gotoh may work, but I'll let someone else confirm or deny that.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I put OFRs in my DKMG and DK2M, a little snug towards the high E corner, just clears.
      I bit of a gap in the back where the route shape is different.

The DK2M had black nut, pads and posts, I left those in place, no problems.
      The DKMG had silver, which had to go.. OFR posts have a slightly larger diameter, easy to ream out.
      OFR nut is a different height, so I had to take some wood off the shelf, where the nut sits.
      easy, some time with a file, didn't even need to shim it.

Special, FR-1000 and OFR have the same specs dimensionally.
      IMHO, FR-1000 is good enough for that guitar.

both guitars are in my sig... not clear...but... yeah. rock on
      Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

That info is gold.
        DKMG's and DK2M's both have the VERY common JT580LP, and many ask online about swapping them for an OFR.

A firsthand account is always best.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by LaoWai View Post
          I put OFRs in my DKMG and DK2M, a little snug towards the high E corner, just clears.
          I bit of a gap in the back where the route shape is different.
          If memory serves -
          Swapping an OFR, doesn't that depend on who made the 580lp? Something about one being rounded and one being squared.

Comment

Working...
          X