X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '17 Pro soloist question

I recently bought a
    Soloist Pro SL2 HT MAH
    . I am happy with it but the locking tuners have spots where you turn the tuner and it takes time until it "catches" and tightens/loosens the string.

I am gonna give it some time and see what happens after the strings break in more (D'Addario 120+ 9.5's) but I want to be prepared if I wanna change these out.

It is a right handed guitar and here is a link: https://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/...tural-mahogany

Can anyone tell me a locking tuner that would be a direct replacement? I would prefer Gotoh or Grover. I figured if anyone knew right off the bat it would be you guys.
    I appreciate any help in advance. (I have put better tuners on a Jackson in the past but due to the "Mandela Effect" I can't remember how I went about it)

I recently bought a
    Soloist Pro SL2 HT MAH
    . I am happy with it but the locking tuners have spots where you turn the tuner and it takes time until it "catches" and tightens/loosens the string.

I am gonna give it some time and see what happens after the strings break in more (D'Addario 120+ 9.5's) but I want to be prepared if I wanna change these out.

It is a right handed guitar and here is a link: https://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/...tural-mahogany

Can anyone tell me a locking tuner that would be a direct replacement? I would prefer Gotoh or Grover. I figured if anyone knew right off the bat it would be you guys.
    I appreciate any help in advance. (I have put better tuners on a Jackson in the past but due to the "Mandela Effect" I can't remember how I went about it)

Comment

Ask away.
      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

This is his question. Somehow his text colour is black so i cant see the text without highlighting it Or maybe changing the forum colour =/

"I recently bought a Soloist Pro SL2 HT MAH. I am happy with it but the locking tuners have spots where you turn the tuner and it takes time until it "catches" and tightens/loosens the string.

I appreciate any help in advance. (I have put better tuners on a Jackson in the past but due to the "Mandela Effect" I can't remember how I went about it) "

As for a reply i think something like those https://www.thomann.de/gb/schaller_m6klemm6l.htm would go there without any problems however you probably can find cheaper ones too =)
        Last edited by ed; 01-26-2018, 07:57 AM.

Comment

A Gotoh should fit without any new mounting screw hole being drilled.
          Gotoh makes the Jackson tuners used on USA and older Japanese models.
          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Thank you for the replies!

I don't understand how my text color was black (Thank you ed for reposting my question). I did a lot of research and many claim there are no "drop in replacements for USA guitars" - I am talking about locking tuners btw.

I read the USA guitars have a slight taper to the holes but the imports have straight through holes (I can't confirm this because I never took the tuners off my USA soloist).

I contacted Jackson (Fender) and asked for a schematic of the stock locking tuners on the 2017 Soloist Pro SL2 HT MAH but they said they didn't have one.....

I read where the Schaller may work and you can by them individually at Warmoth so the holes for the strings are all the same height unlike what you would want for a strat. Link: New Tuners- http://www.warmoth.com/Schaller-M6 (Web view)

Might just buy one and try it. Anyways thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
              A Gotoh should fit without any new mounting screw hole being drilled.
              Gotoh makes the Jackson tuners used on USA and older Japanese models.
              I have actually put regular non locking Gotoh's in a friend's JS RR model so I know you are right but then found a old thread here where a dude said he bought some and they didn't work..... It made me wonder if the locking tuners had different dimensions but I wouldn't think so. We shall see if the ones on the axe now are the issue or it was just new strings... Thanks Mudlark

Comment

I made a post before ^ this one and it said the moderator had to approve it so... kind of odd

Comment

Also -thanks ed for posting my question. Very cool of you.

Comment

I read the Schaller M6 may work too. They sure look nice and you can buy them in singles so all string holes in the posts are the same height.

Comment

I guess you have to pay for Photobucket now? I haven't used it in a long time.

Comment

Yeah, try imgur for pics.

I replaced the Jackson tuners on my USA Soloist with new Jackson (Gotoh) tuners and saw no difference compared to my Japanese Dinky. They (imports/USA's) are all interchangeable unless something has changed since the end of Japanese production in 2011.

I'd be surprised if the 2012-present Indonesian or Mexican models have different tuner sizes.

Gotoh has plenty of options, so there's no doubt a drop in replacement locking tuner. Worst case scenario is you'll have to return them.

The Gotoh SG38 is the identical model to the Jackson tuners, so check out their dimensions on Gotoh's site and then find the locking tuner with the same dimensions.

Comment

Are you sure that it is the tuners and not the nut whats causing the problems? Tuner holes are 10mm industry standard on USA and other Jacksons.

If you want to change the tuners anyway I would go Gotoh or Planet Waves auto-trim. Both should fit without any mods.

Comment

Working...
                          X