Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intonation trouble (Dinky MIJ 1993 Takeuchi trem)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intonation trouble (Dinky MIJ 1993 Takeuchi trem)

Hi !!!

I just set up my OLD Jackson Dinky 1993 (serial 309458).
    Set to 11-56 Drop C.
    Trem : Takeuchi semi-blocked (dive only)

There was no problem (i'm used to set my guitars) until i set intonation : ALL saddles are too far away, G string saddle is hitting fine tuners back support.

Some points :
    -pivot studs are slightly inclined (see pics) due to slight "play" inside inserts. They were changed by "equivalent", but not inserts.
    -trem blades are a little "grinded" by usage (so plate is probably a little "shorter" by 1 mm or so)

If i combine 11-56 gauge, and those two sources of "shorter" trem position ...

Do you think buying new studs AND inserts will be enough ?
    Or should i "simply" roll back to standard tuning and 9-42 ?
    Another solution, like shimming the neck ?

Thanks

Jackson JS32-7Q
    w/ D Sonic 7
    DADDARIO EXL120 9-42 + DADDARIO NW060 Drop A

Jackson Dinky Professional 1993 (dive only)
    w/ EMG bridge
    Daddario EXL117 11-56 Drop C

These guitars were never made for Dropped C. Will it intonate in Standard tuning?

Comment

I have no solution to the problem really but that looks like a Fusion to me. If it is the scale length would be 24.75 inches.

Also i see the angle grinder engineering someone has made with those posts.

I am thinking it is the Fusion ss model with added knob.

Last edited by ed; 04-08-2018, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Is your problem that the saddles are too far back on the base plate? Is the picture you provided from before or after you tried to adjust the intonation? Are you wanting to shorten the scale?

In the picture you showed of the bridge, there is plenty room to shorten or lengthen the scale. There are three holes for the saddle retainer bolts. With the exception of the D string, all of your saddle retainer bolts appear to be in the 2nd (middle) hole. You should be able to get that guitar to intonate with all of the room that you have.

Here is a picture of one of my Floyds stripped. Note that each saddle has 3 holes. Your Floyd is using the middle hole. All you have to do is move the saddle retainer bolt to another hole and you will have more room for adjustment.

Last edited by CaptNasty; 04-08-2018, 08:31 PM.

Comment

^ this.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Does the jt-580 have 3 holes? I think the takeuchi only has 2. After looking at the photo again I can see where the one saddle is held on by the second hole and pulled back to expose the base quite a bit. No hole to be seen there.
            Last edited by Carbuff; 04-08-2018, 10:59 PM.

Comment

I think jt580 has only 2 holes. I will check when i get back home. I should have a few of those laying around.

Comment

Thanks for all your answers and infos !

Some more infos :
                Neck relief is set at 0.35 mm (0,014 inch), witch is nice for this guitar.

This Takeuchi trem only have 2 holes. That's why G string saddle is already hitting the back plate
                Here was the setting in 9-42 standard E. As you can see, it was a more "normal" setting, with E/B on first hole and a lot less compensation on all saddles :

I think it is time to try other studs, just to see if things improve ... any hint on this point ?
                May be my local guitar shop will have some second hand parts.

Here was one stock stud (if i found the right picture ) :
                Insert diameter is 10mm
                Jackson JS32-7Q
                w/ D Sonic 7

w/ EMG bridge

Comment

So the problem is the G string saddle hitting the backplate. That was not clear in your original post.

What do you think new posts will do to help you address that you have run out of room on the base plate? When intonating if the string rings flat you move the saddle towards the neck, if sharp toward the heel. If you replace the stock studs with new stock studs you might get a small extension of the scale toward heel, but will that really help?

How far out is your G string from intonating? Given the slight lean and slight wear on the knife edge, I doubt that unless you are really close to perfect intonation on the G string that 2-3 mm will get you intonated.
                  Last edited by CaptNasty; 04-09-2018, 08:56 AM.

Comment

I assume your intonation is sharp and you can't move the saddles back any more? Your tuning is too low to be intonated properly. Also, what scale length is the guitar?
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

With your trem posts leaning forward, it will require you to pull the saddles back further to get it intonated correctly.
                      Fix your trem posts The should be straight up. Any lean will require compensation in saddle position.
                      In your case, you need to go back, but the forward leaning posts are eating up precious saddle adjustment realestate.

Also, that trem isn't really designed for anything heavier than 10-46 if you want to do drop D. Drop C is not really possible due to the baseplate design as there is not 3rd hole for the saddles.
                      Last edited by rjohnstone; 04-09-2018, 08:49 AM.
                      -Rick

Comment

I'm close to perfect intonation on G.
                        But global compensation shift is not welcome.
                        Second (last) hole on B/E strings was not expected ...

I will change posts and see.
                        If it don't improve enough to my taste, drop D 10-46.
                        Or may be E/9-42 ... and replace the guitar by another

Thank you again !
                        Jackson JS32-7Q
                        w/ D Sonic 7

w/ EMG bridge

Comment

Working...
                        X