Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help identify my Jackson

Hello everybody! 1st post here.
    So last week I got a new Jackson guitar from a friend who didn't use it for a long time, the guitar feels great and in very good condition.
    The construction is neck through, 2 seymor duncan pickups, sharkfin inlays, jackson machine heads and it came in a jackson hard case. The action is super low and the 24 fret access is one of the better I ever had.
    However, I couldn't find a serial number! The owner said it was from the early 90s.
    Can you take a look and please help me figure the model?
    Thanks!

Last edited by onashx; 04-10-2018, 01:06 AM. Reason: added pictures

That is a fake. Hope you didnt pay too much for it.

Check out this post https://www.jcfonline.com/threads/15...w-what-this-is

Its the same guitar just different colour.
    Last edited by ed; 04-10-2018, 04:20 AM.

Comment

Different electronics route between these two guitars, but still neither guitar is authentic!

Comment

That sucks.
        Gotta figure a friend will give you your money back if need be.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Is your friends name Aliexpress?

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
            Is your friends name Aliexpress?
            That's Mr. Al E. Express to you.

Comment

Well if he is happy with it, but for the same 350 bucks he could have bought a charvel model or a real used jackson, albiet an indo neck thru
              A few Charvels, a bunch of Jacksons, JVM full stack, valve king half stack and an 4000 watt PA for a home stereo, my neighbors love me....

Comment

Darn. Thanks for all your help. I expected to get a notice to my email for responses but didn't, so I saw your replies just now.
                As I saw what you wrote I took the guitar apart, the PU were fake, and it's a set neck painted like a neck through.
                I got it for a trade but I don't regret it. This 'chackson' plays really well. I have ordered a genuine bridge and good PU to put on, guess it'll be nice after all.
                Also I don't care much because I have many guitars (I work as a session player) and I traded it for a cheap guitar I didn't care about for a guitar I may actually use (though I did lose some money).
                I have never owned a jackson guitar so I don't know them well. How did you spot it right away? Because of the serial? The dude told me it's from the early 90s and sometimes they didn't mark the numbers...
                Thanks again everybody here, your'e the best.

Comment

There are some people here with truly remarkable skills in picking up on the nuances (some small, some obvious) that exist between real and counterfeit Jacksons.

On this guitar one immediate tells was the positioning of “Seymour Duncan” on the pickups. Seymour Duncan logos are centered on authentic pups. The other smoking gun: this guitar has 25 frets, Soloists have 24 frets.

You did not specify if the seller was representing this as a USA Jackson or an import. 90s and later USA Jacksons would have “Made in USA” on the headstock.

Other things to look at: cavity routes, body shape (horns, heel cutaways, size), number of frets, inlays, headstock shape, logo and logo placement, do features match what a given model should have (e.g. 25 frets), layout and placement of controls. There is a lot you can look at and these guys are really good at spotting these things.

Neck through models stamp the serial number on the fretboard after the last fret. AFAIK, the employee guitars and prototypes that did not have serial numbers were a phenomenon in the early Jackson years in the 80’s. I think by the 90’s they had pretty much stopped this practice and guitars without serials were extremely rare and the result of production errors.

Curious as to how this guitar will intonate with 25 frets. You could have slight pitch problems along the neck of the instrument.
                  Last edited by CaptNasty; 04-19-2018, 06:38 AM.

Comment

If you zoom in to the photo, you can count 24 frets. That "25th fret" is an optical illusion in the photo. What we see is actually the fretboard binding located coincidentally where a theoretical "25th fret" would be.

A guitar can intonate "correctly" with any number of frets as long as the nut, frets, and saddles are situated properly. (I put "correctly" in quotes because the guitar, by its very nature, is an equal temperament instrument and will never achieve "absolutely perfect" intonation.)

Examples of extra frets are seen below. They do not affect the intonation of the guitar.

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 04-19-2018, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                      If you zoom in to the photo, you can count 24 frets. That "25th fret" is an optical illusion in the photo. What we see is actually the fretboard binding located coincidentally where a theoretical "25th fret" would be.

A guitar can intonate "correctly" with any number of frets as long as the nut, frets, and saddles are situated properly. (I put "correctly" in quotes because the guitar, by its very nature, is an equal temperament instrument and will never achieve "absolutely perfect" intonation.)

Examples of extra frets are seen below. They do not affect the intonation of the guitar.
                      Yes, I see that is an optical illusion now. Chalk that up to 50 y.o. eyes. Though that would be something we do not see on authentic Jacksons... that overly large lip at the end of the fretboard. My Soloist is much shorter there, just large enough for the serial number.

I understand that a properly built guitar can intonate and tune with any number of frets (within reason). I seriously doubt that a cheap Jackson knock off would pay that attention to detail if they had used 25 frets.
                      Last edited by CaptNasty; 04-19-2018, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X