Identifying new Jackson Dinky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying new Jackson Dinky

So I just picked this up yesterday for an even $100 (Canadian, so $75 USD). Didn't know the model, but it's in great shape, sharkfin inlays, reverse headstock, trans black flamed maple... Really didn't seem like I was getting a bum deal. Plus I've always wanted a Jackson! So I went through serial sticky in this forum as well as through all the catalogs running from 98 until now, and theres similar guitars, though nothing that has all the benchmarks of this one (like it'll have everything except sharkfin inlays, or a floyd rose for example)

I was wondering if anyone with a bit more Jackson experience could help me pinpoint the exact model. Mostly interested if I got a good deal

SERIAL: NHJ1009880

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Thanks in advance!

2010 JS32RT Dinky. Made in India.
    They came with Jackson pickups originally and sold new in the $300 ballpark. You got a lot of guitar for $100 in my opinion.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, man! Also awesome you're East Coast Canada. I'm Newfoundland myself!

It's great to know I got a solid deal. I know I didn't get a bad deal by any stretch when I saw it (I actually talked buddy down a bit) but as it looks exactly like the trans red Jackson I always wanted when I first started playing, it's fun to have a little nostalgia! It wasn't too important to know exact model, but curiosity got the better of me (wood type, what mods were done if any, etc...)

Since playing it and setting it up a bit more to my preference, I noticed the tuners weren't exactly up to my liking, so I may drop $150 on new schallers and a gotoh bridge I now it's not the highest end guitar, but i feel with some slick black hardware, I'm not exactly losing out!

Muchos appreciados

Comment

Good to see another Canadian here. Welcome!

I actually saw that guitar on Kijiji the other day. The EMG-HZ pickups nearly threw me off identifying it as a JS Series. It seems odd that someone swapped the stock Jackson pickups for pickups that are considered OEM on mid-range guitars. Most people tend to go all the way and buy proper EMGs. (Though, it's not impossible to consider there are players who prefer the EMG-HZs, such as Alexi Laiho.)

Personally, I would highly advise spending $150 on new hardware for this guitar. $100 + $150 = $250 which will get you a similar fixed-bridge Japanese Jackson, such as a DKMGT or DXMGT. The build quality, wood, and components on the Japanese Jackson would be superior to hod-rodding the Indian JS Series, and you basically spend the same amount of money total.

It's your guitar and you can do whatever you want, but objectively it is not the most judicious use of a sum of $250.
        Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 06-10-2018, 11:26 AM.

Comment

not spending, correct.

Comment

I appreciate the heads up.

I'll definitely give it some time to sink in. I'm more or less thinking of using it to write riffs as I honestly wanting to build a new tele (Or buy a Dunable lol) and my money could be better spent on that. I think I'll enjoy it for the time being. It's a fun, playable little axe.

Comment

Funny enough, I was looking through my Kijiji favorites and noticed the ad was still up: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...equestSource=b

Comment

Haha, that's certainly the ad. And it's certainly the guitar I got, so I'd unfavorite it. Dunno what he's up to leaving it up, but that's Kijiji for you.

Was surprised how good of shape it's in. There's one crack in clear coat on back horn but that's really it. Everything thing else indicated that it just sat there for a while. Was dirty, but went to O'Briens for strings and buddy gave me a chunk fret/board polishing wool and I basically just scoured it and it's 8/10 for sure. cleaned up all the hardware as well. Will hang on unless I can trade up for a sick Kelly or Mockingbird haha (Though I did get offered a JS32T V... Wonder if that's a worthwhile trade... Hah)
                Last edited by Crush The Universe; 06-11-2018, 08:45 AM.

Comment

More often than not it's the plastic nut causing the tuning issues. I always have a bone nut cut for $40-50 and keep it lubed with pencil lead in the slots.
                  If the tuners say 'Jin Ho' on the inside (check one if you remove it) they're probably the same Korean Jin Ho tuners that came on the higher end MG and Pro series throughout the 2000's.

After the bone nut swap I found they work as well as the Gotoh Jackson's on my USA's.
                  96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Hmm. Fair. I never really thought of the nut. Always goes over me even though it'd probably the cause of half my concerns.

I just got an offer for a 2016 JS32T King V in prime condition to trade. Guess buddy is leaving the Province and doesn't want to transport weird shaped guitars. Would you say that deal is basically a horizontal move? Seems the wood is a bit better with the poplar vs the Dinkys Indian cedro, but besides that not much different short of the cut. Any opinion, or is it just another JS32. Other than the fact the Dinky has the passive EMGs which while I don't necessarily care for in any facet, do contribute to value-addedness.

Also I apologize. I'm very new to the Jackson sphere, and am unfamiliar with most of the guitars other than how awesome they look. I'm a lifelong tele player, even for metal, so. I'm gonna Red-Paperclip this Jackson into a USA soloist by years end lol.
                    Last edited by Crush The Universe; 06-11-2018, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X