Deal or No Deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deal or No Deal?

SO.... having obtained the Warrior, I am left with one exotic to purchase.
    The Jackson Kelly.

There is a local seller with a Jackson Performer Kelly, which looks decent enough.

It is a '96 Performer, which I assume is a MIJ model.
    It has Seymour Duncan pickups.

What would a good price on this guitar be?
    It is selling for about US $290

Is this worth it?

Next option:
    1997 Jackson ?? Kelly

The seller has seemingly avoided posting pic of the fron of the headstock, so I cannot see which designation it is, Professional or Performer.
    It does have Active EMG pickups, but has a price tag a lot higher than the above model.
    This one is about US$400

Once again...... which one is better value, or a better option.

Cheers guys!

Neither of those 96xxxxx and 97xxxxx serials are date coded.
    The PS6T is indeed MIJ.
    The second appears to be a KE3 from 2006-7 with the original Duncans swapped for EMG's.
    Both are fair priced, but the KE3 would be the way to go if it were me.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Does either guitar include a case?

The reason I ask is because it's easier (and not too expensive) to find a case (especially a generic-fit case) that will fit a more traditional-shaped guitar, but it's more difficult for big/pointy guitars.

ie - I feel more comfortable buying a superstrat or singlecut without a case (price adjusted downward accordingly if the guitar lacks a case), knowing I can find even a generic case separately. But for a PS6T or KE3 located in North America at the prices you listed, I would almost consider an included case to be mandatory/included.

(I realize you are in Australia and I am not up to speed with the Australian used guitar market.)

If both guitars lack cases, aim for lower prices. It doesn't hurt.

Comment

Sadly, neither comes with a case.
        Shipping, as a result, is risky business, especially if the seller has no emotional attachment, and just wraps it up in cardboard, and sends it normal mail.
        From my experience, I would ensure the package is not going to be harmed.
        I would consider neck removal, and packaging in a smaller, stronger box, if I had no case.

When I shipped my 92 King V to Australia, it had a hard case, and I further wrapped that up in a few layers of protective cardboard. I mummified the package with packaging tape, and that is how I believed it would be safe.
        The package was bulletproof!

Unfortunately, someone, either at the shipping company or at customs, decided they wanted to play.
        When I received the guitar, there was damage.
        The guitar had been dropped, and the tip of the head stock had snapped, and there are cracks where the neck meets the body.
        I was furious, but the shipping company denies any wrong doing, and I had absolutely no luck with customs either.

Grrrrrr!

Comment

The first Kelly I bought didn't come in a case, and I got a bunch of pieces. I wouldn't do it unless it had a case.

And as far as I'm concerned, a Jackson without the sharkies is not a Jackson.

Comment

Ouch!

Don P... I am deeply hurt! LOL!!
            Both my first two Jackson Professionals have dotties!

Both are MIJ 90s models, and I love them to bits.
            They are as awesome as any guitar I have ever played, and I would not trade them for anything!

I am ordering a 24 Fret Jackson neck, which has sharkies, and will be a perfect addition to the Warrior..... especially because it has provisions for a top locking system, which will ensure the strings stay in position..... they seem to want to pop off the nut that is on there now. (Cheap Plastic)

I must confess.... sharkies look way better than dots, but hey.... I was young and cash strapped when I got my first real guitar, and decided to collect the rest of the exotics much later in life!

Comment

Originally posted by Sub-Zero View Post
              Sadly, neither comes with a case.
              Ultimately, it all comes down to your decision. How badly do you want either/both guitar(s) for their listed prices? Again, no harm in negotiating a better price too. Best of luck in your quest.

Originally posted by Sub-Zero View Post
              I am ordering a 24 Fret Jackson neck, which has sharkies, and will be a perfect addition to the Warrior..... especially because it has provisions for a top locking system, which will ensure the strings stay in position..... they seem to want to pop off the nut that is on there now. (Cheap Plastic)
              Buying a neck equipped with a locknut is not a problem. Go for it. Where you may/will face frustrating tuning issues is when you actually lock the pressure pads, it will send your tuning out of tune. This is why Floyd bridges have fine tuners, to do the final tuning adjustments after the locknut is locked. Or, are you planning to attach the pressure pads with zero screw pressure simply to hold the strings in place? I can picture THAT working.

Comment

I have a PS6T and to be honestly it's a dog. Not the body, but the neck is a baseball bat. If you like baseball bat fat necks, then that's a good one to pick up. I'm still debating picking up a DK2 neck off ebay at some point and switching it out. it's nice as eye candy at the moment, but... that neck is just... nope. I'd opt for the KE3, as I recall it (the one I played) was thin like the my RR3R.
                In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

I am not a thick neck fan!
                  Fenders are just horrible for me, and my Epiphone Les Pauls are also good only for chunky rhythm playing.
                  I am adaptable, and I can play lead on them, but I always end up going back to my go-to guitar: '92 King V.

I have managed to source a more recent Kelly, which has a tremolo system, and is well priced, regardless of what series.
                  The guy who sold me the Warrior also has a 24 fret Jackson neck for sale, which I am going to install on the Warrior.

Tomorrow I pick up the Kelly..... super excited.... then my collection of exotic shaped Jacksons is complete!

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                    Or, are you planning to attach the pressure pads with zero screw pressure simply to hold the strings in place? I can picture THAT working.
                    That is the plan.
                    Zero pressure... just as a guide.
                    I hope it works.
                    Perhaps, in time, I will install a Schaller system, with microtuners.... not sure if it's worth throwing more money at it though.

Comment

Your Warrior is a JS30WR. Personally, I wouldn't throw more money at it, because you'll likely exceed the cost of a nice used 2000s Japanese Warrior like the WRXT or the WRMG (which are fundamentally "better" guitars than the JS30WR), but ultimately it's your guitar to modify as you wish.

Comment

Working...
                      X