Jackson Kelly XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Kelly XL

I have come across a black Kelly XL Professional. It is in great shape and comes with the original case. It currently has EMG's in it but the owner has the original pick ups that he will sell with the guitar. This is not a pro as it has a rosewood fretboard and only one knob and a selector switch. My question is how much is a good price for it? I searched the forum but most of the value posts are really old. What say the board?

Depends on condition, your country, if it comes with its original case, and how badly you want it.

I'd price it similar to its successor (the KE3, which has been tracked and valued in the E-fraid of E-bay forum https://www.jcfonline.com/forums/16-E-fraid-of-E-bay) and say that USD$300 is a good target price with OHSC and in great shape. Better if you can get it for less, not the end of the world if you pay a bit more. EMGs add no value personally for me; if the seller wants to keep the EMGs, let him reinstall the original pickups and ask for a discount.

I'd happily pay more for a Kelly Pro... not just for its ebony board, but because it's neckthru and had a JT590 trem (instead of the XL's rosewood board, bolt-neck, and JT580LP trem) and was the highest-end Kelly of the time. The XL takes a few hits in specs, so $300 is a good starting point.

Comment

Thanks Priest. I'm with you on the EMG's. That is why it was important to me that he have the original pickups- not that they were great. The guitar is in great shape and hardly looks played. The owner bought it because he is a big Marty Friedman fan but kept it in it's case mostly. Thanks again.

Comment

$300 in great shape with case would be an absolute steal. $500 would be a great deal and $650 would be good. Quality wise I’d start at the KE2 and think down rather than at the ke3 and think up. It’s not a ke2 but it’s closer to one than it is to the ke3.

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
          $300 in great shape with case would be an absolute steal. $500 would be a great deal and $650 would be good. Quality wise I’d start at the KE2 and think down rather than at the ke3 and think up. It’s not a ke2 but it’s closer to one than it is to the ke3.
          This. I used to have a Kelly XLR which is the same thing, just reverse headstock and inlays. It was a very nice guitar.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
            Quality wise I’d start at the KE2 and think down rather than at the ke3 and think up. It’s not a ke2 but it’s closer to one than it is to the ke3.
            The Kelly XL is closer comparable to the KE3 than it is to the KE2.

Kelly XL: Japanese, bolt-neck, rosewood board, JT580LP trem.

KE3: Japanese, bolt-neck, rosewood board, JT580LP trem. Major difference: Pearloid finlays instead of the Kelly XL's MOP, and no binding on the KE3. (And pickups too, but all three Kellys we're discussing all have different pickups anyway.)

KE2: American, neckthru, ebony board, OFR trem. Huge differences.

The Kelly XL and KE3 are like similar 2-bedroom condo units while the KE2 is a 5-bedroom mansion.

Comment

I might go $500 if absolutely mint (on account of the EMG/MOP), but there are just to many deals out there for a patient buyer for me to go higher.
              That's from my perspective. Your location may have less options.

$3-400 will get you a lot of guitar in the US and Canada on Craigslist and Facebook pages.
              96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                The Kelly XL is closer comparable to the KE3 than it is to the KE2.

Kelly XL: Japanese, bolt-neck, rosewood board, JT580LP trem.

KE3: Japanese, bolt-neck, rosewood board, JT580LP trem. Major difference: Pearloid finlays instead of the Kelly XL's MOP, and no binding on the KE3. (And pickups too, but all three Kellys we're discussing all have different pickups anyway.)

KE2: American, neckthru, ebony board, OFR trem. Huge differences.

The Kelly XL and KE3 are like similar 2-bedroom condo units while the KE2 is a 5-bedroom mansion.
                Agree to disagree. Played all 3, don’t have the same conclusion.

Comment

Wow... the Kelly XL must have been mindblowingly good then, and deserving near-USA prices using Japanese specs/build, if it is closer to the KE2 than the KE3 in your experience. (Not that there's anything inherently "wrong" with the KE3.)

Comment

Depends on condition, your country, if it comes with its original case, and how badly you want it.

I'd price it similar to its successor (the KE3, which has been tracked and valued in the E-fraid of E-bay forum https://www.jcfonline.com/forums/16-E-fraid-of-E-bay) and say that USD$300 is a good target price with OHSC and in great shape. Better if you can get it for less, not the end of the world if you pay a bit more. EMGs add no value personally for me; if the seller wants to keep the EMGs, let him reinstall the original pickups and ask for a discount.

I'd happily pay more for a Kelly Pro... not just for its ebony board, but because it's neckthru and had a JT590 trem (instead of the XL's rosewood board, bolt-neck, and JT580LP trem) and was the highest-end Kelly of the time. The XL takes a few hits in specs, so $300 is a good starting point.
                    I 2nd that!!
                    Also check guitar center used gear they have an xl on there now if you want to compare.

Comment

Wow... the Kelly XL must have been mindblowingly good then, and deserving near-USA prices using Japanese specs/build, if it is closer to the KE2 than the KE3 in your experience. (Not that there's anything inherently "wrong" with the KE3.)

Well, agree to disagree as I said, or we could argue over it. Which would be “mind blowingly” pointless. I’d ask if you ever played one, but really, who cares.

Comment

No need to argue. I appreciate everyone who responded. The guitar is flawless except fornthe tiniest nick on one of the horns which has been touched up. He isn't actively looking to sell but said he would take $500 for it if I wanted it. I have too many guitars now so I'm not sure if I need another- however I don't have a Kelly and I am a Heaven fan so....

Comment

Those guitars should last a lifetime, so a couple hundred in either direction wouldn't personally faze me if a top quality Kelly was in my sights.

The market can be insane these days.
                          There was a well known '95 Kelly PRO for sale for $700 Canadian for over a year in my area recently. Those suckers had USA specs. They just don't seem to be in demand it seems.

A thread a day ago had a MIJ 2006+ trans finish DK2T for $150 Canadian. It's nuts what's being offered out there.
                          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Working...
                          X