SL2Q: Neckthru or Thru-neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL2Q: Neckthru or Thru-neck?

I stumbled across a video on Youtube, in which the owner of a new SL2Q in Purple Phaze states that this guitar is Thru-neck and not Neckthru. So I looked on the Jackson Guitars website, and on the SL7Q page, it says Neckthru. There is no mention on the SL2Q page (maybe my attention span is wondering?). Unless a guitar is advertised as Set-Neck, if it doesn't have a bolt-on neck, then I assume its a neckthru. So, is the SL2Q Set-Neck and the SL7Q Neckthru? I would rather ask on JCF than go trawling through Google, only to find a load of BS.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTamY6_PwDY&t=181s

He mentions it at 3:38.

Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Neck-thru and thru-neck should be the same. Set-thru is different and more like a set neck but shaved down smooth.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

So the only difference is its two words placed back to front?
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

It should mean the same thing.
          It is no different then we say a pickup configuration is HSS, but Fender players call it SSH.
          Although, he is very adamant that they are different - "If you don't know the difference, look it up, I just don't have time to explain it in this video".

I do wonder :think::think:...
          the old guitars were a big block of wood with two sides glued to it. like this https://i.ytimg.com/vi/HV0Ahd_RMl4/maxresdefault.jpg
          But the newer ones seem to be an extended neck the length of the body, but only as thick as the neck. It then has 2nd piece of wood glued to it to make it as thick as the body. Which then has the two pieces glued to the sides.
          I wonder if those may have a name differential?

Comment

set thru - http://mcnaughtcustomguitars.com/wp-...-1024x1024.jpg
            a set neck, like a les paul, is glued to the body. but the "thru" part means that the neck piece extends into the body. If you think about it, it is kind of silly because as soon as you route out a pickup, your extended length ends. Any gain of tone of sustain would be lost at the neck pickup.

but I found no results explaining the difference between a neck-thru vs a thru-neck.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
              ... I found no results explaining the difference between a neck-thru vs a thru-neck.
              Neither did I. Maybe I should've asked him to strip the paint off to prove it
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

It really depends upon which side of the bed you woke up on in any given day.
                A few Charvels, a bunch of Jacksons, JVM full stack, valve king half stack and an 4000 watt PA for a home stereo, my neighbors love me....

Comment

This goes the whole length.

Comment

But is that a Neckthru or a Thru-neck?

Comment

And is it a 2 inch thick piece of wood, or is it a one inch piece glued on top of a 2nd one inch thick piece.

You can usually look down around the strap button to see the two pieces. I bet it would be hard to tell with that burst paint job.

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                        So the only difference is its two words placed back to front?
                        Yes, that's what I'd guess. Unless he wanted to use the term set-thru and doesn't really know what that's called.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

What I don't understand about Jackson's "Set Thru" construction is if the centerblock is the same wood as the body, or the neck
                          "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                            And is it a 2 inch thick piece of wood, or is it a one inch piece glued on top of a 2nd one inch thick piece.

You can usually look down around the strap button to see the two pieces. I bet it would be hard to tell with that burst paint job.
                            It is a single piece of flame maple front to back.

Comment

Imports or at least Indonesian Jacksons are true neck-thru. Not sure about the few Japanese neck-thrus. The set-thru construction is a Jackson USA curiosity. And if I remember correctly from pics I think they use a different wood than the maple neck part. Not exactly sure what they mean to accomplish with it or how much they think it saves them. Surely it takes more labor and glue to glue 4 pieces together than it takes just 3.
                              Last edited by wrldeatr7; 01-23-2019, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X