Are MIJ Jacksons coming back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are MIJ Jacksons coming back?

With Fender releasing a MIJ line, what do you think the chances are of them bringing out MIJ Jacksons again? I don't get the impression Jackson has had much luck with their import strategy, they've gone through all the Indonesian manufacturers yet there's never a shortage of "refurbished" Indonesian Jacksons out there. Not sure if it's because Fender isn't willing to pay for quality control or what. But moving production of the Pro line to Japan would be a good move.

Who is making Fender's Japanese line? Fujigen Gakki?

If Fujigen were to also make Jacksons... heaven sent!

Comment

Speaking about Fender, the Japanese production was from ‘82/’83 to late nineties at Fujigen (until around ‘96/’97), but it was already for some time that some pieces started to exit also from Tokai Gakki.
      Words on the street is that it’s possible to recognize the different place of manufacturing by the stickers “Made in Japan” or “Crafted in Japan” on the instruments.

I don’t know where today’s production is, but to be honest I’ve never been too impressed by the old Fujigen Strato and Teles.
      Good assembly, but too thick paintings, nor the electronics were too good.
      Recently I found much more interesting and well resounding a MiM Road Worn Strato, for example.

Anyway..
      In my opinion, an eventual production of MiJ Jackson would be a good idea, but as usual, it depends on the market and the costs of production.

Starting with the two or three most iconic models, let’s say, for example, the Rhoads, Soloist and Dinky, each offered in a couple of different trans finishes with MATCHING HEADSTOCK and ebony fingerboard….with a very accurate quality control and a hypothetical price range around 1000/1200 Euros (1100-1350 Dollars). I’d put them as a sort of “bridge” between the actual import and the USA ones….and then see what happens…
      6 guitars in total. It shouldn’t be too expensive as investment.
      If the market reacts well, then you can think also to the other models.

Maybe someone at FMI is reading this post….who knows...
      Last edited by Luca1973; 01-23-2019, 02:36 PM.

Comment

The serial number on the MIJ Fenders is JD, not sure if the D means something to someone here in terms of the factory. And just like with MIM Fenders they have "Made in Japan" printed. No stickers anymore.

Comment

Yes the 90-95 Pro run from Cushin Gakki was impressive. It seems when something is running well it always falls apart from.someone sitting at a desk not knowing what the hell is going on and they x it out..

Comment

Originally posted by Luca1973 View Post
            I don’t know where today’s production is, but to be honest I’ve never been too impressed by the old Fujigen Strato and Teles.
            Good assembly, but too thick paintings, nor the electronics were too good.
            Recently I found much more interesting and well resounding a MiM Road Worn Strato, for example.

That all depends on which models you look at. Mid 2000's up to the time Fender USA took control back, high end MIJ Fenders came with all Gotoh hardware and are really in a space between Fender USA Standards and Deluxe, with Gotoh Floyded models being cream of the crop.

You don't see many of these on the US market, but you can find them used on ebay or on sites like Ishibashi's U-Box.

Pictured on the right is my MIJ Strat... it's every penny a $1k guitar. It cost a little more than that new.
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
              That all depends on which models you look at. Mid 2000's up to the time Fender USA took control back, high end MIJ Fenders came with all Gotoh hardware and are really in a space between Fender USA Standards and Deluxe, with Gotoh Floyded models being cream of the crop.

You don't see many of these on the US market, but you can find them used on ebay or on sites like Ishibashi's U-Box.

Pictured on the right is my MIJ Strat... it's every penny a $1k guitar. It cost a little more than that new.
              Holy crap that white one is fantastic!! Thanks for posting.

Comment

Xeno, yours is veeery nice, I don’t doubt it’s a good guitar, but when I speak ‘bout Fender I have in mind Stratos and Teles in their classic configurations; sigle coils and sounds that go toward vintage style or bluesy style. Yours reminds me much more to a Charvel, it’s not something that I’d expect from Fender. Here where I’m from I think we have never seen that model.

I’ve had some nineties japanese in my hands, they all were far from how a vintage style Strato should sound;
                the first thing you might notice is that those heavy poly finishes give a very different feeling to your hands compared to an American Vintage.
                Some japan vintage reissue were also incorrect in the specs, for example the 57 with Texas Specials p.u. (??) or in Candy Apple finish (wich was a colour that didn’t exist in ‘57, but this mistake happened also in the USA version).
                I tried the foto-flame Strato, seemed to me a bit deaf, a ‘62 Custom Tele with a horrible three pieces body..and so on..

Anyway, none of those are real problems, as I said before, the overall assembly was good, if you like a guitar and it sonds good to you, then it’s a good guitar...it’s only that I don’t consider a Fender if I see a Floyd or an humbucking on it.
                Here in Italy the japanese ones are increased in price in the last years on the 2nd hand market, maybe it’s a common belief that now with the chinese ones, the old japanese must absolutely sound better.
                In my opinion, I think that the japanese did vary a lot in quality over their years of production.
                Actually, in my opinion they’re a bit overpriced here to me.
                Last edited by Luca1973; 01-26-2019, 03:56 PM.

Comment

MIJ Fender produced everything from budget lines to high end guitars. You need to examine the hardware to tell the difference. The craftmanship on most of them are excellent. Specs are usually all over the place because Fender Japan had quite a bit of autonomy from US as they were mostly non-USA market guitars. As for prices anywhere else, I have no idea, but look at Ishibashi's selection. They produced quite a few unique Jaguars and Teles if you're into that.

Comment

The white Fender is awesome! What model is that??

From what I've gathered, and that could be wrong, Tokai is who is still making Japanese Fenders. They released a new "MIJ traditional 60's" series of guitars and a PJ bass that were pretty limited and they were incredible for the price. When I got my hands on those, I had the same thought about an MIJ Jackson line. Dinky's for 899 and soloists for 1299 (hopefully a hair less) would be the perfect spot.

Comment

Originally posted by EntrailsOfU View Post
                      The white Fender is awesome! What model is that??
                      ST-57 1H (Type 80's LA). It was made as a dealer special for Key Musicland in Japan. It's nicer than a USA Standard, but not quite up to USA Deluxe.

Comment

ST-57 1H (Type 80's LA).
                        This is sweet!

Apparently this is the back of the guitar: https://goo.gl/images/q1m6Ti

The control cavity is Ibanez-shaped. Did Fujigen Gakki make this Fender ST-57 1H (Type 80's LA)?

Comment

Originally posted by Luca1973 View Post
                          Xeno, yours is veeery nice, I don’t doubt it’s a good guitar, but when I speak ‘bout Fender I have in mind Stratos and Teles in their classic configurations; sigle coils and sounds that go toward vintage style or bluesy style. Yours reminds me much more to a Charvel, it’s not something that I’d expect from Fender. Here where I’m from I think we have never seen that model.

Fender introduced the Japanese contemporary series to the U.S. market in the mid eighties. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender...tocaster_Japan was their first foray into building "Superstrats" IIRC. If I understand correctly these led to the later HM Strat line. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_HM_Strat That white one reminds me of the contemporary series. Being you're in Italy I don't know if these were ever sold there.

I guess what I'm trying to say is Fender did stray from traditional strats and teleis in an attempt to break into the metal world dominated by Jackson/Charvel, Kramer, in the '80s. They just were never really successful at it.
                          Last edited by Dak; 03-01-2019, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                            This is sweet!

Apparently this is the back of the guitar: https://goo.gl/images/q1m6Ti

The control cavity is Ibanez-shaped. Did Fujigen Gakki make this Fender ST-57 1H (Type 80's LA)?
                            Yes, this is a Fujigen guitar.

Here's a better picture of the back:

Comment

Originally posted by Dak View Post
                              I guess what I'm trying to say is Fender did stray from traditional strats and teleis in an attempt to break into the metal world dominated by Jackson/Charvel, Kramer, in the '80s. They just were never really successful at it.
                              Up until 2015 when FMIC took control over Fender Japan, it was run autonomously and they produced quite a wide variety of guitars, many of them high end. Base prices of many of these models were $1k USD and up, though not many of them make it here to the states unless you import/buy them used yourself, many of the strats are Floyded models. The level of hardware is the easiest way to spot them. All the high end builds are Gotoh equipped. The imports that usually made it here were usually budget or mid-range as to not compete with the FMIC USA line and Japanese dealers were not allowed to sell the Japanese market guitars abroad or they would get their dealerships revoked.

Comment

Working...
                              X