Dinky Pro MiM question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dinky Pro MiM question

I recently picked up a Dinky Pro from 2015. It had pronounced fret sprout. Most of the necks I've had or played coming out of Fender's Mexico plant have fret sprout. Do any of you have a MiM Dinky with fret sprout? I just sent it back to Sweetwater to be fixed. Anyome else?

It really is going to depend on where you live. Mexico is much more humid than my neck of the woods (especially right now) so we see a lot of this, and not just from Jackson or Fender really.... The fret board has likely shrank and the metal frets have not. Humidifying will usually do the trick to fix it but a fret dress is much more permanent. Not an uncommon thing at all, and not terribly hard to remedy either.

Comment

I was a little reluctant to buy another mim guitar because of it. Indonesia is also hot and humid much of the year and my soloist pro is nice and smooth. And I've had quite a few Korean-made imports of various brands (Epiphones, Agiles, PRS SE) that did not have any fret sprout. This leads me to conclude that Fender is not doing as good of a job of curing their woods as others.

To their credit, Sweetwater is addressing the issue for free. I should have it back in about two weeks. Other than the fret sprout, the guitar is really nice, and I got it close to what used ones fetch these days.

Comment

I sent in to Sweetwater last Monday. Haven't heard back yet but I did speak to my rep who said he would make sure the roll the edges after filing them. Eager to get it back.

Comment

I bought a MIM Strat cheap because of fret sprout. I just filed the ends myself and humidified the neck by keeping it close to the bathroom / shower.

I'm thinking they aren't waiting for the wood to dry out long enough. Getting into a hurry to make the neck, then it shrinks as it dries out more.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
            I'm thinking they aren't waiting for the wood to dry out long enough. Getting into a hurry to make the neck, then it shrinks as it dries out more.
            This is exactly what the issue is. This is why I am a huge fan of roasted maple necks.

Comment

The Dinky came back today perfect. Sweetwater did a great job and they also did a full setup. So I'm in love with the Dinky.

Comment

Working...
              X