Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first paintjob a JS20 Bengal! Any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My first paintjob a JS20 Bengal! Any tips?

Thanks Mehrdad, I'll try to post bigger pics when I get it finished.

jacksonfan
    Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

Thanks Jack The Riffer, I like it alot [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

jacksonfan

Comment

Thanks VanOsbourne, That's quite a compliment!

jacksonfan

Comment

Thanks Number Of The Priest, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] Better stop though before my head explodes [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

jacksonfan

Comment

Better stop posting one-person-addressed replies before your head explodes too. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Just joking! It's perfectly okay (and recommended) to address as many people as you can in one reply, otherwise people will think you're "spamming" or whatever. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Does that JS30 body have a micro-tilt thing in the neck pocket? I see you're hanging the body by that hole in the middle of the neck pocket which leads me to wonder if there's a micro-tilt thing there.

Comment

Thanks Number Of The Priest,I was just being courteous to all the kind comments, I guess I just got carried away. I'll take your advice on the responses though. As for the micro-tilt, there is nothing there. It was just a small hole partially drilled through from the neck pocket side, I just drilled it on out so I could hang it.

Thanks again,

jacksonfan

Comment

Beautiful work! Very thorough, too. Looks great the way you did the trem cavity, too (I always do them in a special overspray pattern [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ).

Comment

great paintjob man
                  absolutely awesome
                  you should draw "masking tape bengal templates" for the people and you would be rich
                  rock on, on your beautiful guitar

Comment

Jacksonfan, what kind of tape did you use and did you cut the tape on the guitar with an exacto knife? Were you able to do that without cutting into the wood? I'd love to try something like your bengal as they are sexy as hell but my experience with painting is best left to the experts.

Comment

Thanks quiksilver, model1, and Jackson-Charvel for the kind comments. Bengal templates? Hmmm, that sounds like a good idea! As for the masking tape, it was just ordinary everyday
                      masking tape. I placed the tape on the body where the stripes would be, drew the pattern on the tape, and very, very carefully cut it out with a small, cheap, one blade Swiss Army knife! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] It was small and easy to hold so it worked pretty good. No cuts on the body, the key is to take your time making the cuts and don't get carried away.
                      Though I agree, the exacto would be better,just didn't have one.

jacksonfan

Comment

Is it easy to cut curves/rounded edges like your bengal stripes? I know if I do it it will be all angular, but then again I'm not the most capable person with a sharp object.

Also on the thicker stripes you must have used multiple layers of tape to make it wider. Any problems with pulling the tape up after cutting the shape?

What size roll of masking tape did you use? I know they come in all sizes, but I would think the wider the better right? I commonly see the thin 1/2" tape sold at stores.

Kevin

Comment

WOW! You did a great job! I have a body I will be sending to you for a refin. What's your address? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Jackson-Charvel, It is pretty easy to cut the curves if you hold whatever your cutting with like a pencil. That's why the little S. A. knife worked so good. The tape that I used was probably about 3/4" wide, so I did have to overlap it on every stripe. Take care when cutting through the overlapped tape, don't try to cut through both layers at the same time. I cut away one and would then go back and cut the other piece. I think I'll try wider tape on the next one, just used what I had for this one. It takes a little while but it's worth it. Go for it, just take your time.

Forgot to mention that the tape comes off pretty easily, especially 3M brand painters tape.

Good Luck , Post pictures when you finish it!

jacksonfan

Comment

Thats a killer job man, I can't even paint a fence.

Comment

cool job man!
                                what kind of paint did you use?
                                i ask because i did some paintjobs too a while ago, but i had trouble with the lacquer. it didn´t dry completly.

Comment

Working...
                                X