Best made import soloist style?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best made import soloist style?

i was told by a jackson lover that the professional MIJ XL is real good for the money and probably the best made and closest to a USA soloist ever?
    it is supposed to have real MOP inlays, and a much better trem?
    i was considering a DXMG or dk-2 but one guy swore to me that the older XL blows them two out of the water for the money?

here is a pic,

Re: Best made import soloist style?

That's a nice one. There is really no comparing the Soloist XL to the current DXMG or DK2 guitars--the Soloist is a neckthru guitar while those others are bolt-ons. The current version of the Soloist XL is known as the SL3, and it definitely has cheaper hardware than the XL did, as well as plastic inlays. I would go for a used XL over a new SL3.

The Soloist XL (which was made from about '92-95) had a rosewood fretboard, while the Soloist Pro from the same era had an ebony board. I think they are both decent quality guitars. The Soloist XL was really just the updated version of the '89-91 Charvel 650xl. Personally, I would go for the Charvel version, as it did not have a recessed trem and came with the active electronics, which the Soloist XL did not. And you'll probably get a better deal on a 650xl. But you can't really go wrong either way.

Comment

I got the chance to compare my 650xl with a friend's Soloist XL, both loaded with a Duncan Distortion in the bridge. And I have to say that my 650 blew the doors off the Soloist. I would definitely look for one of the Charvels, or at least a Soloist Pro. Personally I prefer rosewood over ebony so the 650 is a no-brainer for me. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I got the chance to compare my 650xl with a friend's Soloist XL, both loaded with a Duncan Distortion in the bridge. And I have to say that my 650 blew the doors off the Soloist. I would definitely look for one of the Charvels, or at least a Soloist Pro. Personally I prefer rosewood over ebony so the 650 is a no-brainer for me. Just my 2 cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought Newc's 650XL and man that thing smokes most of my guitars with ease. It is really similar to an SL-1 just with slightly different features and such. Consider grabbing one of these!

As far as Jackson Soloist Style goes I also really like the SLSMG but the only issue I have with it is the weight of the guitar.

Comment

I have to agree with either a 650xl or a model 6
          both models are excellent guitars for the money and closer to an SL1 than the pro or an SL3 (which I used to have, bought a model 6 and the SL3 is gone!) Bought an SL2H and the Model 6 is gone as well, but I miss her [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

ah sweet!
            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Comment

Yeah, that's Pete's (Twisteramps). He had it in the classifieds a few days ago. I wouldn't post over there if I were you due to your junior member status (check the rules about posting in the classifieds). But Pete's a good guy. I wouldn't hesitate to deal with him.

Comment

I'd say go with the old import charvels as well, can't go wrong with them. I have a model 6 and a 750xl (short scale archtop soloist) and they both rip!

harrald

Comment

Oh ya. i forgot about the 750xl's , those are real sweet as well and there are a couple on Ebay right now for real decent prices(at least they were as of sunday night)
                  If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I don't know about the Soloist XL but my 1990 Soloist Pro beats my Model 6 easily!!! I love the Model 6 (although I just sold it to a JCF member) but the Soloist Pro just kicks so much asss! It's almost, (almost) as great a player as my Shannon...

Comment

Grrrrr......I wanted that ! Anyway, I have a AT Soloist Pro and it plays and sounds great ! I have many Models Series Charvels and the AT Pro plays the best but my ultimate right now is the 750XL ! Get one of those if I don't get it first !!

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I don't know about the Soloist XL but my 1990 Soloist Pro beats my Model 6 easily!!! I love the Model 6 (although I just sold it to a JCF member) but the Soloist Pro just kicks so much asss! It's almost, (almost) as great a player as my Shannon...

[/ QUOTE ]
                        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Working...
                        X