Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me identify this soloist pro

Hi guys (and girls?)

I'm new here. Wow what a place this is, tons of info on one of the greatest guitar brands ever made. So a big hello to ye all!

Anyway, as the topic title suggested, I spotted this black soloist professional (second hand) at my local guitar shop and I'm wondering what your opinions on the baby are, and hopefully you could give me some more info on her.
    The Specs: Serial J800867 (although I'm not sure on the last digit), neck-thru body construction, NO bindings along the fretboard, one volume, one tone knob, 5-way switch, two single coils and one hum (all Jackson), jackson floyd type bridge. I couldn't spot this famous mid-booster I've been hearing about.

Could you give me some info on when it was built, and if this was a good year. Also, what is a reasonable price for such a guitar, keeping in mind that it's an occasion, and that I live in Europe where jacksons are way more expensive than in the US. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

your help is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    B.

Re: Help me identify this soloist pro

Sounds like an SL-3. Did it have sharkfin inlays?

Comment

nope, I'm pretty sure it had dot inlays. But the SL-3 is USA made right? This one was a professional, so that's a Japanese made(?) Or am I mixing up stuff?

Thanks,
      B

Comment

older type soloist professional. the SL3s came as far as I know all with SD PUs

Comment

The SL-3 and Professional series are both made in Japan. The SL-3 doesn't say "Professional" on the headstock.
          Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Sounds like that one that was (is) on Ebay that everyone was discussing:
            http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...fpart=1#281149

The serial number puts it as 1998, but I don't have that year's catalog to look it up.

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I don't know if there are a lot of people from Europe on this board, but what would be a decent price for this guitar (in Europe). They're asking 699 euro's, which is probably to much, knowing the policy there.

Comment

A used professional Jackson (in the US) shouldn't go for much over $400 TOPS... I've seen Kellys for $250...

Comment

damn, I so badly want a neck-thru kelly. They're nowhere to be found overhere, unless I buy an new USA model, which is a little out of my price range (2500 euro's [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] )

But regarding the soloist, I'd be very lucky if I'd be able to get it down to 400 euro's. Since I'm not that good a bargainer, I don't really see that happening..

Comment

Well I bough the guitar. When I came home and examined it under some better Light I found out that the frets were more worn than I thought at first, so the next day I went back and got them to round and even the frets free of charge. That didn't came easy though. It's funny, this guy starts adjusting the guitar to get ridd of the fretbuzz, but I had already been over that at home, so I knew that the only solution was to work on the frets. He obviously tried to convince me otherwise, but in the end I got him to do it for free (which he should IMO, one shouldn't sell stuff that isn't OK). So next week I'll have the guitar back with good frets.

Then all I need is to put some better pickups in there. I'm thinking about a Dimarzio evolution in the bridge, and some Single-coil sized humbucker in the neck. Any recommendations? I was thinking of either a SD JB jr. or Dimarzio Chopper. I need something with plenty of output so that there is no volume drop when I switch from bridge to neck pickup.

What are your thoughts on a SD JB in the bridge btw? I've always played Dimarzio's, but the other guitarist in my band uses a SD JB in his Kelly (Friedman signature!), and that sound pretty good aswell. Does that pickup have enough low end to be used with a floyd-type guitar?

Man, the neck of this guitar is amazing....

thanks for all the help!
                    Bert

Comment

Hello,
                      I can't find any info for my Jackson professional...it's a japanese one with serial number J001876. It's a neck thru, sharkfin inlays...colour red, the tremolo says jackson/schaller , one humbucker and two singles with jackson silkscreened on it.I bought it in the Netherlands early 90's...anyone more info about it? What it's worth...its in good condition only on the archtop there is some paint chipped off...must have hit the ceiling somewhere or killed some headbanger with it i don't remember...It never let me down on about 8 tours around europe i did with my band, its a great guitar!

Comment

rebis:
                        Serial stamped in the last fret of the fretboard? It's a 1990 guitar made of the same build quality as a true USA model. Value? Don't sell it, man. I bet it's a great guitar. Archtop eh? I'd say around $600 in the US - much more in Holland!

Pictures please! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                        Henrik
                        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

It does have the serial stamped in the last fretboard...pictures i have but not on a webserver so i don't think i can post them...so 1990... well that could be right as i bought it not long after that...it's a quality guitar for sure! Nothing wrong with this Jap...as i am from Holland i don't believe in this elitism thing that usa guitars are better and worth more than japanese ones...as with guitars i believe in the uniqueness and theres bad ones, good ones and superb ones in every serie made...even cheap guitars have their good guitars...it also depends what happens with the guitar in it's life...who plays on it and such...well 600$ is too low for a guitar like the one i have..Especially with the low value of the dollar...been thinking about selling as i had no income for half a year so i am below rock bottom financially but i rather eat the stones from the street than to sell it for 600$! Anyway cheers for the reply...

Comment

Rebis, I can host those pictures for you.
                            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Well cheers God of Rythm but i think i try to post some pics myself first...so see if it works...

Comment

Working...
                              X