Serial number help on an SL4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serial number help on an SL4

I believe I am looking at a Jackson SL4. Its a 22 fret shark fins, neck thru with 2 humbuckers and a locking trem. I just can't figure out what year it is. From the research I have done its either a 1990 or a 2001. Serial number is 011527. When I look it up using the Jackson serial number locater it says its a 2001. When I read all the stuff online they say it has to be a 1990. It DOESN"T have a J in front of the serial number. Help Please. Thanks!

Also... it doesn't say Professional on the headstock. Here is the info I got from this site....

Neckthrough models always get their serials stamped into the end of the fretboard after the last fret and begin with "J" followed by 6 numbers. Not sure about the more recent models like the RR5 or SL3/4 etc - if someone has one of these, please post here whether it begins with a J or not, and if it has 6 or 7 numbers following.

The first number of a neckthrough serial indicates the year it was made - 0 means 1990, 1 means 1991, 2 means 1992, etc all the way up to the present as far as I know. I've not owned a neckthrough Pro model made after 1994, so I can't say. If anyone here has one made after 1994, please chime in.

Comment

I believe I may have found the answer. Its a 2000 made in Japan. I guess if it had a J in front of it, it would be a 1990 and much more sought after and collectable. I thought I may have found a diamond!

Comment

Also the hardware is a good indicator if its made in 1990 or 2000. 1990 would have been schaller and 2000 most likely a jt-580. Also they didnt make SL-4 s in 1990 only soloist PROs and soloist archtops.

Comment

It's actually a 2001.
          Once they dropped the J in the '90s, the next era of neck thrus used the first 2 digits to determine the year.
          I think the first models were early RR5s and Sl3/SL4s with 00xxxx serials. I don't recall ever seeing a 99xxxx or earlier serial.
          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Yep, SL4. In the 2001 catalog, and only available that year.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Not a knock on you OP, but you're a longtime JCFer and supposedly the most respected resident amp expert on JCF. At least, we have to take your word on that, because...

It's almost 2021, an age of multimedia-rich, easy-to-capture-and-share content, and prevalent digital technology, but I can't ever recall you posting pictures (in this case it may have assisted others in identifying or confirming the model), nor do I ever recall you posting your own MP3s or videos of amp clips/demos.

Just making an observation, but feel free to rebut me if you wish.
              Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 11-27-2020, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X