Can anyone ID this guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone ID this guitar?

Update: sorry folks, I had no idea the pics would not be visible! Here is a link to the sale:

Apparently I paid $399. As John W Lawson suggested, the trem is most likely not original. On closer inspection I found that the screw marks indicate it was setup with drastically different intonation in it’s life. Maybe the original stripped a screw?

Hey everybody, new to the forum, bought my first Jackson back in 95. Can anybody tell what model this is??? Any ideas? Bought off reverb for $350. The body of the guitar seems to be a single piece of wood aside from the flamed top. Unsure of the wood but it is heavier than my strat. There is no cutaway around the neck plate as with the Dinkys. No bevel at the lower cutaway. The headstock logo is yellowed with age. The inlays are MOP. The scale is 25.5. The trem appears to be a JT 500 or similar with no logo. Thanks for your input!
    Last edited by Mr.Lequack; 08-31-2021, 12:43 AM.

Images need hosted on an outside site.

The 500 was used on cheaper units. That makes me question the MOP inlays. Perhaps they are mother of toilet seat?

Comment

Could be an older DKMG( with a swapped bridge) or a PS-4 mutt or DR3, but like pianoguyy said, really need pic's.
      Last edited by john.w.lawson; 08-28-2021, 07:35 PM.
      I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Lequack View Post
        Hey everybody, new to the forum, bought my first Jackson back in 95. Can anybody tell what model this is??? Any ideas? Bought off reverb for $350. The body of the guitar seems to be a single piece of wood aside from the flamed top. Unsure of the wood but it is heavier than my strat. There is no cutaway around the neck plate as with the Dinkys. No bevel at the lower cutaway. The headstock logo is yellowed with age. The inlays are MOP. The scale is 25.5. The trem appears to be a JT 500 or similar with no logo. Thanks for your input!
        Copy and paste the link to the sale. Even though it's sold we can still see it.
        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Lol Pianoguyy, I’ve owned a couple of those.

Per your suggestion John, I have updated the post with the sale page. Close inspection of the bridge show signs of up to a full Allen head width of difference from its original setup.

The pics appear to show a seam for a separate piece of body wood from the lower cutaway to below the rear strap button. The problem is it is not a straight line and actually curves towards the center of the guitar. Makes me think it’s one piece and possibly mahogany.

Comment

Comment

Comment

It would appear I’ve been had. Going to pull the pickups and verify.

Thanks for the knowledge!

Comment

Close inspection of the bridge show signs of up to a full Allen head width of difference from its original setup.
                  No biggie. That just means someone changed string guages.

How so?

Comment

The neck plate is not correct. Serial is for a 92 Japanese made pro or professional. $399 wasn’t bad price though, plays nice, new condition. That and she’s real pretty.

Interestingly enough, this exact unlabeled bridge appears on the DX10D in the 2003 Jackson catalog. They are calling it a JT580LP.
                    Last edited by Mr.Lequack; 08-31-2021, 08:00 PM.

Comment

The original neck plate might have been swapped. If anyone tried to identify the guitar based solely on the serial number, they are missing the forest for the trees. To me, a differing neck plate in this situation is not too consequential (contrast to if it were a USA neck plate on a Chinese-made guitar, for example). Your guitar is clearly a DX10D otherwise, and the price you paid for it is reasonable considering the current market, and that flame looks great.

Also, the catalogs were not 100% perfect. There were occasional errors. However, the DX10D did come equipped with either the JT500 or JT580LP. I do not know the precise year when that switch happened.
                      Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 08-31-2021, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Mr.Lequack

I ABSOLUTELY Love my DX10D FS and I paid a bit more than that. Maybe because of the Fire Switch
                        [ Boost, and yup it does BOOST ]
                        JT580LP Tremolo on mine.

It has been my #1 since I got it.
                        Just so easy and comfortable to play.

Enjoy that Beautiful Guitar!

Comment

Thanks for the knowledge!
                          Trust me it's not the PRICE you pay but the VALUE of it to you. You can own a six thousand dollar guitar and have a 300 dollar mutt, the mutt feels better in your hands and you will put the six thousand dollar guitar in a case (it being more or less, hey look what I own, I'm so special.
                          I know from experience

Comment

As stated above it's a DX10D with a swapped neck plate for whatever reason. I've had a couple of DX10D's over the years and still currently have one. I like them. If you pull the neck and picture the neck pocket of the body Mudlark, Number Of The Priest and others could help with ID'ing the year and country it was made in. Early one's were Made in Japan and later were Made in Korea if I remember correctly. I assume some later one's were made elsewhere but I went through a no guitar hiatus for ten years or so so I kind of lost track.
                            Last edited by Razor; 09-06-2021, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Love the guitar, very well made, plays great. Just trying to make sure I didn’t pay too much for something from India.

Popped the neck off with the hopes of dating it but got no answers. No marks on the body and only a single star and long tailed Z or a sharp edged 2 written in sharpie on the butt of the neck.

Comment

Working...
                              X