Can anyone ID this guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr.Lequack View Post
    Love the guitar, very well made, plays great. Just trying to make sure I didn’t pay too much for something from India.

Popped the neck off with the hopes of dating it but got no answers. No marks on the body and only a single star and long tailed Z or a sharp edged 2 written in sharpie on the butt of the neck.
    It's a MIJ, most of the India ones come with a floyd look a like.. Long string locks out the back
    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post

It's a MIJ, most of the India ones come with a floyd look a like.. Long string locks out the back
      I had to look back at my files from days gone by. In 2005 I sold a DX10D on eBay that was my first "real" guitar. It's serial number was 01051862. In the listing description I put in it that it was either Made in Korea or India and it had the Floyd clone you mentioned. Between the four or five computers since then I've lost the original full size pictures but still have the auction files saved.

I remember from conversations on here back then that it was not MIJ because if I remember right after a couple of years or so they (Jackson) moved production elsewhere. My earlier one that I picked up this year has the JT580LP and is MIJ. It's serial number is 9677435 and if I remember right it's a 2002.

OP if you like the guitar it really doesn't matter if you over paid slightly. If you're were happy with how it plays and you like the guitar then I wouldn't second guess myself if I were you. Sure we all want a great deal but now days it's getting harder and harder to "score" a guitar. Watch pawn shops like a hawk as there are deals to be had there sometimes you just don't know when something will show up. I check the local pawn shops on Mondays most every week.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post

I had to look back at my files from days gone by. In 2005 I sold a DX10D on eBay that was my first "real" guitar. It's serial number was 01051862. In the listing description I put in it that it was either Made in Korea or India and it had the Floyd clone you mentioned. Between the four or five computers since then I've lost the original full size pictures but still have the auction files saved.

I remember from conversations on here back then that it was not MIJ because if I remember right after a couple of years or so they (Jackson) moved production elsewhere. My earlier one that I picked up this year has the JT580LP and is MIJ. It's serial number is 9677435 and if I remember right it's a 2002.

OP if you like the guitar it really doesn't matter if you over paid slightly. If you're were happy with how it plays and you like the guitar then I wouldn't second guess myself if I were you. Sure we all want a great deal but now days it's getting harder and harder to "score" a guitar. Watch pawn shops like a hawk as there are deals to be had there sometimes you just don't know when something will show up. I check the local pawn shops on Mondays most every week.

Well, I can tell you one thing! It wasn't made in Africa

I had one years ago, wasn't bad at all. I also bought one made in India more than a few years back to experiment on, remove and replace frets, put dings in it to see if I could fix it ect. I can say one thing since you mentioned Korea, I have a USA Bc Rich and a Korean 80's platinum series and I was going to fuck with the Korean one too, but after a setup it's honestly better than the USA.
        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

While the majority of the 2000s X Series Jacksons were made in Japan (9xxxxxx serial number format), I vaguely remember some Indian-made ones (8-digit serial numbers). I remember zero Korean ones; Korean production stopped with the Performer Series in the late 1990s and only reentered the picture very recently in early 2020 with some of the Pro Series, no?

My memory is fuzzy about:

1) What specific year(s) the Indian-made X Series guitars were. I could have sworn India came first and only for a short period before production moved to Japan for the majority of the run, but correct me if I am wrong.

2) How to distinguish between Indian-made and Japanese-made X Series guitars aside from observing the serial number format. Not only do we see the DX10D with two different trems and made in two countries, but I also vaguely recall the DXMG sporting two different trems and being made in India and Japan. The DXMG was a funny guitar because it belonged to both the X Series (which could have Indian or Japanese origins) and the MG Series (which were all otherwise made in Japan). Some DXMGs had a JT580 bridge while most had the JT580LP bridge. You guys would be more advanced than me if you can correlate the JT580 (seen on some DXMGs) and JT500 (seen on some DX10Ds) with India, and the JT580LP with Japan.

3) Which specific X Series models were made in India. As discussed above, there is the DX10D and DXMG. But I remember no Indian WRXTs, only Japanese ones, and all the ones I've seen had the JT580LP trem.

With some difficulty I managed to retrieve two broken images (repasted below) of a JT500-equipped DX10D with an Indian serial from this forum post: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discu...-jackson-dinky which would be similar to Mr.Lequack's guitar.

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 09-03-2021, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Well as you're showing the plates don't say Jackson on them and the cover in the back all stick out from the body there's not route for them to be flat with the body like most. You can feel the inlays ledge too on this one anyway. .Pickup says M214 in the bridge position, neck pocket just has an 8 in marker, eight digit serial.
            non branded tuners.

Personally I've never heard of a korean Jackson before
            Last edited by john.w.lawson; 09-04-2021, 08:21 AM.

Comment

I once had a DX10D in that amber sunburst finish. Made in Japan.
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                While the majority of the 2000s X Series Jacksons were made in Japan (9xxxxxx serial number format), I vaguely remember some Indian-made ones (8-digit serial numbers). I remember zero Korean ones; Korean production stopped with the Performer Series in the late 1990s and only reentered the picture very recently in early 2020 with some of the Pro Series, no?

My memory is fuzzy about:

1) What specific year(s) the Indian-made X Series guitars were. I could have sworn India came first and only for a short period before production moved to Japan for the majority of the run, but correct me if I am wrong.

2) How to distinguish between Indian-made and Japanese-made X Series guitars aside from observing the serial number format. Not only do we see the DX10D with two different trems and made in two countries, but I also vaguely recall the DXMG sporting two different trems and being made in India and Japan. The DXMG was a funny guitar because it belonged to both the X Series (which could have Indian or Japanese origins) and the MG Series (which were all otherwise made in Japan). Some DXMGs had a JT580 bridge while most had the JT580LP bridge. You guys would be more advanced than me if you can correlate the JT580 (seen on some DXMGs) and JT500 (seen on some DX10Ds) with India, and the JT580LP with Japan.

3) Which specific X Series models were made in India. As discussed above, there is the DX10D and DXMG. But I remember no Indian WRXTs, only Japanese ones, and all the ones I've seen had the JT580LP trem.

With some difficulty I managed to retrieve two broken images (repasted below) of a JT500-equipped DX10D with an Indian serial from this forum post: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discu...-jackson-dinky which would be similar to Mr.Lequack's guitar.

I really wish I had pictures of the other DX10D that I sold in 2005 to compare to. I also sold another one at the same time for my best friend and of course I don't have the full size pictures from is to we can compare. I didn't even have the serial number to that one recorded in the auction. I couldn't remember after Jackson moved Japanese production where they moved it to but I did put in my listing I didn't know if it was either Korea or India. I was very active on the forums at that time and I'm sure there's reasoning and research behind it but after 16 years down the road it's not worth it to me to figure out why. One thing I know for sure it wasn't Made in Japan and I assume it's because of the markings in the neck pocket, on the neck and of course the serial number. Maybe Mudlark can shed some detail as he's done a lot of serial number research.

Comment

It struck me as I was falling asleep last night that I may be uncertain with the serial number format of the DX10D I captured above, and suddenly remembered that I could swear Indian serial numbers had the NHJ prefix.

That part of Jackson import history is among my weakest areas and I regret not paying more attention to non-Japanese imports at the time.

It slightly saddens me to say that I'm like Razor and not going to dig into the literature to substantiate my vague memory, so if anyone has proof easily available and can either support or debunk anything that has been said in this thread, you are most welcome, and I will stop muddying the waters.

Comment

If it doesn't have the date and model stamps in the neck pocket, it is likely not MIJ. Not at Chuchin Gakki in any case.

Comment

Working...
                    X