KE-3 Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KE-3 Identification

Stumbled across this KE-3 the other day, owner claimed it was a 1998 but from the black hardware and 'normal' sharkfin inlays I don't think it could be any older than a 2006. Serial number is 9852768, so I'm guessing that's where the 1998 came from. Pickups are Seymour Duncan JB neck and strangely, a 59 bridge.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/pPsAA...t5/s-l640.webp

Here's a pic of the MIJ sticker:
    https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/8vMAAOSwdJJhjD5k/$_1.JPG?set_id=8800005007

Wondering if anyone could tell me more about it. Am I correct in saying it's likely a post-2006 KE-3? Are those any good compared to earlier models? He's asking $850 CAD ($680 USD), is this a fair price?

a 98 serial has nothing to do with 1998

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
      a 98 serial has nothing to do with 1998
      That's what I mean, I don't think this is any older than 2006. Probably 2010. Regardless, is the price worth it? And has anyone seen a Kelly with JB/59s in them?

Comment

As a Canadian, I recognize it, listed in the province of Quebec on our popular Canadian "better than Craigslist" version of Craigslist. https://www.jcfonline.com/forum/equi...93#post2546993

Given the serial number is sequentially higher than mine (see thread linked above) it would have to be 2009-2011, because mine is 2009 with photos of the date stamps in the neck pocket and on the neck heel.

Given the neck and headstock have binding, there is a good chance it's neck from the DK2 family. KE3 necks did not have binding. See the thread linked above for mine, which has a DK2S neck, and the rationale for the binding.

The pickups look original and in their original positions, JB bridge and Jazz neck (not 59 as the ad declares, unless the owner changed the neck pickup). I don't know where you got the idea that the JB was put in the neck and the 59 was put in the bridge. If you were curious, you would have to remove the pickups from the body, and check for the identification labels under the baseplates (see thread linked above for mine).

I see the guitar listed for CAD$1000 so I am unsure where you see CAD$850. In either case, the price is too high even with the original SKB case, but everyone here knows that I buy very low and your tolerance for spending may be different than mine. If you like the guitar and consider it a fair price, enjoy it.

In conclusion, it is likely a 2009-2011 KE3 body with a DK2-family neck, a factory mutt, that likely has the stock pickups (JB bridge and Jazz neck). Nothing suspicious about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
          Given the neck and headstock have binding, there is a good chance it's neck from the DK2 family. KE3 necks did not have binding. See the thread linked above for mine, which has a DK2S neck, and the rationale for the binding.
          That's really interesting, and also good eye you have. Really tough to make out much with the crummy image quality on some of the pics.
          As someone who is new to Kellys (and Jackson in general), what is the significance the binding, or swapping the neck for a DK2? Different playing style? Better feel? I see in the thread you linked that people generally prefer the bound neck.

The JB being in the neck position was a mistake, my bad. I have been doing as much research on Kellys as I can and mixed up the position of the two. Also, $850 was what we were negotiating in private. I already knew $1000 was far too much. Since you already have one similar, what is your honest price of this thing? I have not purchased a Jackson before so my own idea of it's value may be off the mark. I valued the case at approx $100, Guitar $750.

Thanks for your insight!

Comment

The KE3 neck also had a different shape from the DK2S neck.

The DK2S neck thickness was 0.735" at the first fret and 0.810" at the 12th fret.

The KE3 neck thickness was 0.720" at the first fret and 0.805" at the 12th fret, overall a thinner neck than the Dinky.

There is no significance to the binding since it is aesthetic. I prefer it because it looks more elegant to me than an unbound neck, but has no effect on playability. We concluded that the "wrong neck" was a "factory happy accident" that worked out in my favor. Ever since I posted mine, I have been updating that thread every time I spot another "KE3 with binding" on the internet and likely the same "wrong neck" story happened with those guitars too.

I like mine a lot but I don't play it enough because I prefer superstrat shapes. As you can see in the thread I linked, I bought it because it was inexpensive and for nostalgia because I owned an early KE3 as my first Jackson.

If you are comfortable paying CAD$850, I cannot fault you. I like this era of Japanese Jacksons. I figure "pandemic pricing" and the recent debut of the rather expensive Jackson MJ Series (https://www.jacksonguitars.com/en/gu...s/?dc&sort=new) marking a return to Japanese manufacture is making owners value their pre-2011 Japanese Jacksons at high prices.

Comment

Thank you again, you've been a huge help in learning more about these guitars. Ultimately, whether the guitar is factory stock or not isn't of huge concern to me, I am in it for how it plays. Just as long as the neck isn't off of something objectively worse, or anything that would make it a bad guitar
              I just messaged the seller asking if he swapped the Jazz for a 59. If he didn't or is unsure, then I am more inclined to believe it actually being the JB/Jazz combo. Which is a plus I'd imagine, people seem to be really fond of those in the KE-3 (for the most part). It does seem more likely anyhow, from the photos.

I think I'll go for it. The white and black pinstripe is by-far my favourite finish of any KE-3 I have found so far, and I have definitely seen a lot worse price-wise.

As your thread has been tracking these KE-3s with the bound neck, is there anything you would want me to post over in that thread when it arrives? I'd be more than happy to help out with documenting these guitars.

Comment

Best of luck! Hopefully the transaction goes smoothly and the guitar turns out great.

Your offer is greatly appreciated! It always helps to see more examples of siblings to my KE3/DK2S to help substantiate our theory that they all left the factory that way. If you are comfortable removing the neck from the body, I would be interested to see/know the date stamps and model name stamps printed in the neck pocket and on the neck heel, similar to the photos in my linked thread, to determine which specific DK2-family neck is on that KE3 body. And to satisfy your own curiosity, looking for the pickup model labels under the pickup baseplates would confirm for certain whether they are the stock JB/Jazz or perhaps something different.

Neck mix-and-matches might be more common than we think for Japanese Jacksons of the era. I have a 2002 WRXT that has a KE3 neck attached to it. Funny enough I could mate the KE3 neck and the KE3 body to make a "correct/matching" complete KE3 guitar, but I like to keep these guitars original.

Comment

Originally posted by Avionex View Post
                  Thank you again, you've been a huge help in learning more about these guitars. Ultimately, whether the guitar is factory stock or not isn't of huge concern to me, I am in it for how it plays. Just as long as the neck isn't off of something objectively worse, or anything that would make it a bad guitar
                  I just messaged the seller asking if he swapped the Jazz for a 59. If he didn't or is unsure, then I am more inclined to believe it actually being the JB/Jazz combo. Which is a plus I'd imagine, people seem to be really fond of those in the KE-3 (for the most part). It does seem more likely anyhow, from the photos.

I think I'll go for it. The white and black pinstripe is by-far my favourite finish of any KE-3 I have found so far, and I have definitely seen a lot worse price-wise.

As your thread has been tracking these KE-3s with the bound neck, is there anything you would want me to post over in that thread when it arrives? I'd be more than happy to help out with documenting these guitars.
                  No
                  I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Working...
                  X