Another KE3 identification thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another KE3 identification thread

Hey everyone, first post here. I have a KE3 that I'm going to be selling. I'd like to figure out all that I can about it, so I have accurate info to post with it.

I've owned it for the past 21 years. It is midnight blue sparkle which I believe was a 1998 and 99 color only. Serial # is 9613xxx. Neck pocket stamp says KE3 TMC (could be IMC, can't tell) 9 12 17. Neck stamp says KE3 9.12.20. The original pickups say Duncan Designed HB103B and N. It currently has a Kerry King EMG set in it. Hardware is a pewter colour. Also have the original charvel/jackson rectangular fitted flight case.

So, as far as I can tell, this is made in Japan from either 98 or 99. I'm assuming the 9 in the stamp is the year, but I haven't found much info about the stamp format. I haven't looked up how to post pictures here, so I'll look into that. Any info anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much!

To share photos, upload your images to any free image hosting website (https://www.google.ca/search?q=free+...client=gws-wiz) and post the generated links back here.

Just based on your detailed description of the guitar, rectangular SKB case, and date stamps, it does sound in line with the earlier KE3s with 9xxxxxx serial number, and definitely pre-2006 based on the Duncan Designed pickups and pewter colored hardware, so 1999 the correct assumption. Even one of the stamps on my 2009 KE3 just starts with a 9-mm-yy and you need to look at the big picture (the other specs) to eliminate the possibility of 1999 and conclude that it is 2009. So the similar thought process firmly places your guitar as 1999.

Comment

Thanks very much Number Of The Priest! I did see your post about your KE3 with a 9 in the stamp but wasn't a '99. I have owned the guitar since 2000 so I thought I'd be pretty safe to assume mine wasn't a 2009 .
      Thanks for the image hosting info. I will look into that and get a few pics up here.

I believe I saw in a post somewhere that you are from Canada. I am as well (BC). Do you have any idea what these generally go for? I haven't been able to find many MIJ of this year listed. Mine is by no means perfect. It's got some good dings. All the issues are cosmetic though and it still plays amazingly.

Comment

Glad to see another fellow Canadian. Welcome! As for value, a couple years ago I shared every Kijiji and Craigslist deal I could find. See here for the records: https://www.jcfonline.com/forum/equi...fraid-of-e-bay I tended to treat USD$300-and-under as a deal for all Japanese bolt-neck models from 1996 to 2011 (the last broad Chushin Gakki era) and they all qualified as share-worthy. For example, I did not distinguish between a 1999 KE3 and a 2009 DK2 as long as the price criteria were met.

Specific year does not matter greatly, but year ranges might because specs slightly differ and a buyer may prefer one set of specifications over another. For the KE3 I divide its production into three rough year ranges (ie - there were three general variants of the KE3) based on minor specification changes.

1996-xxxx: Reverse finlays, no neckplate, small oblong control cavity, Duncan Designed pickups, black or pewter hardware, "Professional" script on the headstock. I've owned an early one with black hardware.

xxxx-2006: Standard finlays, neckplate, small oblong control cavity, Duncan Designed pickups, chrome hardware, no "Professional" script on the headstock.

2006-2011: Standard finlays, neckplate, triangular San Dimas control cavity, Seymour Duncan pickups, black hardware, no "Professional" script on the headstock. I currently own a 2009.

If you want, you could lump the Kelly Std. into the same price category as it was essentially the predecessor to the KE3 that existed 1993-1995.

That being said, I stopped publicly tracking prices a few years ago and the pandemic has certainly affected values for all goods. These days, my upper price tolerance limits have been pushed higher. I realize I'm vague in this paragraph but it's slightly on purpose as to not contribute to driving up the market further. If in doubt, I like to consult Reverb.com's sold listings and eBay's sold listings for recent price data.
        Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 12-21-2021, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Thanks very much for the info. I didn't know I could view sold listings on Reverb. I'll check that out for up to date pricing. I'll have a browse of the link you've included as well.
          Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X