Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three sick Japanese Jacksons on Reverb now (Grover Jackson and Stars)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jr. View Post

The Soloist Custom is virtually identical (aside from the neck contour, the top mounted trem, and the writing on the headstock, which are all a matter of preference) to the soloist professional pro. Fretboard is ebony. Not sure what you mean by "XL specs".

It really is amusing how the Japanese market equivalent model doesn't get the same hype, espeically given that it's actually rarer than the soloist professional pro.
    Actually they're not rarer. Do a search on both that are for sale right now, not five years ago. Would say they're just as good as a pro if they have an ebony board, most of those don't, so they are XL Japan model which are as good as an XL USA model, which is just a Japan model as well.
    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post

Actually they're not rarer. Do a search on both that are for sale right now, not five years ago. Would say they're just as good as a pro if they have an ebony board, most of those don't, so they are XL Japan model which are as good as an XL USA model, which is just a Japan model as well.
      Fried.

Comment

Fried.
        Boiled actually. I don't like fried foods
        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Boiled actually. I don't like fried foods
          Cooked, either way.

Comment

Cooked, either way.
            Yeah, if you're trying to say something use more proper noun's.

Comment

Actually, they are rarer. They come up for sale less often than soloist professional pros do. Currently, there are one available of each. There's one more soloist custom on eBay (dodgy seller) that has already been sold in Japan, so that doesn't count.

The only "XL Japan model" is the XL professional. None of these are "XL Japan" models. As for "XL USA model", I didn't know XLs were made in the USA. And how could an "XL USA model" be "just a Japan model"?

By "most", you would have to mean that two out of the three listed by the OP are not ebony. However, both the Soloist Custom and the Kelly are ebony, actually, with the Kelly being striped (macassar) ebony. Since you obviously don't know what that is, I can tell you that, as a fretboard timber, it's different to regular ebony in appearance only. So now, by your own standards, the Kelly is the same as a Kelly professional pro. In fact, given that macassar ebony is rarer than regular ebony, it's actually above a Kelly professional pro. Your standards, not mine.

By the way (this part is addressed to everyone), regarding the neck contour, as well as the recessed trem of soloist professional pros - do any USA models of that era have the same neck contour? Or come with recessed trems? Just curious.

Comment

Actually, they are rarer. They come up for sale less often than soloist professional pros do. Currently, there are one available of each. There's one more soloist custom on eBay (dodgy seller) that has already been sold in Japan, so that doesn't count.

The only "XL Japan model" is the XL professional. None of these are "XL Japan" models. As for "XL USA model", I didn't know XLs were made in the USA. And how could an "XL USA model" be "just a Japan model"?

By "most", you would have to mean that two out of the three listed by the OP are not ebony. However, both the Soloist Custom and the Kelly are ebony, actually, with the Kelly being striped (macassar) ebony. Since you obviously don't know what that is, I can tell you that, as a fretboard timber, it's different to regular ebony in appearance only. So now, by your own standards, the Kelly is the same as a Kelly professional pro. In fact, given that macassar ebony is rarer than regular ebony, it's actually above a Kelly professional pro. Your standards, not mine.

By the way (this part is addressed to everyone), regarding the neck contour, as well as the recessed trem of soloist professional pros - do any USA models of that era have the same neck contour? Or come with recessed trems? Just curious.
                USA models of the pro model series area ( which was only a couple of years) feel the same, but with the USA models you get graphic's different pickup's. The XL models are imports for the USA in case I didn't write that in a way you could understand or already new what an XL was?
                Unless you have actual numbers on stuff, this is really a mute conversation.
                Have a nice day

And yeah, I shipped a neck in a small box to Canada and it cost me 100 bucks!

Comment

So no replies from anyone to "regarding the neck contour, as well as the recessed trem of soloist professional pros - do any USA models of that era have the same neck contour? Or come with recessed trems?"
                  In that case, all hail the actual model that is closest to the USA soloists of the original professional era and earlier: The Grover Jackson Soloist Custom. Not the thinner neck with contour, recessed trem, and overhyped Jackson Soloist Professional Pro.

Comment

So no replies from anyone to "regarding the neck contour, as well as the recessed trem of soloist professional pros - do any USA models of that era have the same neck contour? Or come with recessed trems?"
                    In that case, all hail the actual model that is closest to the USA soloists of the original professional era and earlier: The Grover Jackson Soloist Custom. Not the thinner neck with contour, recessed trem, and overhyped Jackson Soloist Professional Pro.
                    Yes

Comment

Do you play? if you do you do. lets see? I'll play. love your you axe's

Comment

Bring it jr or walk away in shame I've had them all if you can't bring some fire who cares girly

Comment

Yes
                          Interesting. Show me one.

And "girly" is an insult in 2022? Pathetic. How do your female relatives feel about that? The ones who haven't disowned you, if any.
                          And if you're gonna call out or question anyone's playing, you'll need to show what you've got first. Otherwise, it's empty and gutless.

Comment

Here, I'll address this. What do you mean about the trem part? Can you elaborate?

Your point on the neck contour is right on. Does that matter much though? I have a Soloist with both contours and I do not notice while playing at all.

(Some of these posts have too many typos, making it hard for me to tell what some of you are saying. Am I just illiterate? Probably, but I want as much knowledge as possible for my database purposes.)
                            Database (WIP) https://mechas64castles.net/CharvelJackson.html
                            My collection also there!

Comment

Originally posted by Mechayoshi View Post

Here, I'll address this. What do you mean about the trem part? Can you elaborate?

Your point on the neck contour is right on. Does that matter much though? I have a Soloist with both contours and I do not notice while playing at all.

(Some of these posts have too many typos, making it hard for me to tell what some of you are saying. Am I just illiterate? Probably, but I want as much knowledge as possible for my database purposes.)
                              Regarding the neck contour, if people think that an ebony fretboard can magically transform a guitar to "on par with USA", as opposed to rosewood (which is purely a matter of preference), then I don't see how the neck contour matters any less. From my experience with Japanese Jacksons, the ones I've had with that professional-style neck contour have much thinner necks than those that don't. Those that don't have necks that are closer to my USA Jacksons. I'm not sure if that applies across the board - just my experience. What about your soloists? I guess we'd need to measure the professional pro neck dimensions and compare to Grover Jackson "custom" neck dimensions (which are the same as equivalent Grover Jackson "standard" soloists from that era from my experience) to be certain.

Regarding the recessed trem - the professionals have a fully recessed trem - the points at which the posts are drilled into the body is inside a route. Never seen that on a USA model from that era or earlier, which is why I was asking if anyone else has. On the other hand, Grover Jackson soloists (custom and standard) from that era have top-mounted/non-recessed trems. The trem posts are drilled in to the body top, and there is a pull-back route so that you can get the full usable range. From what I've seen, USA Jacksons of that era are either like that, or there is no pullback route.

So as you can see, if the USA models of the era or earlier indeed have the same neck contour and lack a trem cavity, as all of the ones I have seen do, then the Grover Jackson soloists are more "on par" with USA models than the professional pros. Given that Grover Jackson soloist standards had these features as well, these were even arguably closer to US models than professional pros were. Not sure if the hype-artists are aware, but USA models didn't all come with ebony fretboards. In fact, aside from fretboard timber, which is as I said a matter of preference, there's only one single feature of Grover Jackson standard soloists that is not "on par" with the customs - but I'll leave that one to the expert hype artists to uncover.

Going by hype-artist logic, actually, I guess that professional pros were better than USA models that didn't have ebony fretboards Their logic, not mine.

Comment

"Regarding the recessed trem - the professionals have a fully recessed trem - the points at which the posts are drilled into the body is inside a route. Never seen that on a USA model from that era or earlier, which is why I was asking if anyone else has. On the other hand, Grover Jackson soloists (custom and standard) from that era have top-mounted/non-recessed trems. The trem posts are drilled in to the body top, and there is a pull-back route so that you can get the full usable range. From what I've seen, USA Jacksons of that era are either like that, or there is no pullback route."

What is this era? 90-91?

Comment

Working...
                                X