Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three sick Japanese Jacksons on Reverb now (Grover Jackson and Stars)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ed View Post
    "Regarding the recessed trem - the professionals have a fully recessed trem - the points at which the posts are drilled into the body is inside a route. Never seen that on a USA model from that era or earlier, which is why I was asking if anyone else has. On the other hand, Grover Jackson soloists (custom and standard) from that era have top-mounted/non-recessed trems. The trem posts are drilled in to the body top, and there is a pull-back route so that you can get the full usable range. From what I've seen, USA Jacksons of that era are either like that, or there is no pullback route."

What is this era? 90-91?
    "The era" refers to the years in which soloist professional pros were produced.

Comment

I have u00730 which should be 1990 and it has fully recessed schaller trem or JT-590.
      The backside is like this
      Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Comment

Interesting! First one I've seen like that, personally. I wonder if they were just custom options anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Jr. View Post
          Interesting! First one I've seen like that, personally. I wonder if they were just custom options anyway.
          Funny because unless it's a custom shop? That's all the kinds you would see. I've already stated the the USA guitars and MIJ Pro's were the same spec's, bridge (590), neck (as you call them wimpy, thin necks) they are the same! Sorry for the name calling, I wasn't feeling well, but no excuses. Yes, I've had or have USA's with rosewood boards without MOP logo's too. Pro's were only made for two years. So, the whole 2000 year guitars were made under fender and the late 90's under MIC the pro's were made under JACKSON.
          I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

But that scalloped back thing lasted only for the early nineties i dont think i have seen them on any later soloists. You could probably search reverb and see at what year they stopped doing them like that or maybe someone here knows for sure. I also have U02572 and that is allready the newer type without the "scallop".

Comment

Originally posted by ed View Post
              But that scalloped back thing lasted only for the early nineties i dont think i have seen them on any later soloists. You could probably search reverb and see at what year they stopped doing them like that or maybe someone here knows for sure. I also have U02572 and that is allready the newer type without the "scallop".
              98 SL4 MIJ 22 fret soloist

20220419_074919_HDR[1].jpg

I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Clearly there were more than I was aware of. Appreciate the new knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post

Funny because unless it's a custom shop? That's all the kinds you would see. I've already stated the the USA guitars and MIJ Pro's were the same spec's, bridge (590), neck (as you call them wimpy, thin necks) they are the same! Sorry for the name calling, I wasn't feeling well, but no excuses. Yes, I've had or have USA's with rosewood boards without MOP logo's too. Pro's were only made for two years. So, the whole 2000 year guitars were made under fender and the late 90's under MIC the pro's were made under JACKSON.
                  I'm glad we can be virtual friends again. I too apologise, for my retaliatory comments.

I think the original professional era should be considered as 1990-1993. Things took a turn from 1994, with some spill-over of course. With JDM models, you had 1990 models (I own two) - from the first catalogue, then 1991-1993 models, then the full "Grover Jackson" full name logo thing started during 1994. Many of those models were no different from 1991-1993 models save for the horrible logo, which kills it for me. Funnily, Japan domestic models didn't do the scalloped heel thing for set or thru necks until after the original era.

Made under Fender ownership, sure. But the whole "pre-Fender" thing is another can of worms. USA has many of the same employees as many know; the Japan factory never changed until it shut down (2011?). I'm guessing the new Japan models are from Dyna gakki as are Japanese Fenders, but that's just speculation at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Jr. View Post

Awesome... got any pics? Is there a thread about this?
                    Let me see if I can find a pick of my Rhoads, I sold it a decade ago for mortgage money
                    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

My Jackson Stars is the one in the bottom right corner next to the Concorde. Reverse Sharks (MOP) Ebony fret board. I know I have other photos I'll had to dig them out

In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
                        My Jackson Stars is the one in the bottom right corner next to the Concorde. Reverse Sharks (MOP) Ebony fret board. I know I have other photos I'll had to dig them out

Bro. That Rhoads looks fucking sick.

Comment

Hey, thanks for clarification people. That’s why I was a little confused on the neck heel thing, because I’ve seen such inconsistencies.. Lol it’s fine. All of this weird stuff makes Jacksons interesting. I get along with top and recessed Floyds. I forget that’s a big thing for some, that’s why I almost don’t notice sometimes.

(Rant mode activated)
                          I also agree that true ‘quality’ and random specs (like ebony) are not the same thing, but they do correlate often, so you can’t blame people. No, these MIJ don’t have IDENTICAL specifications as the US, but that’s not the point! These are overpriced now people everyone knows you’re splitting hairs vs US stuff. I’ve always knew that the Grover Jacksons were getting better stuff than we were. For the record, my 80s USA is bolt on with rosewood and dots? Is it basic then? Yes, but it’s feel, sound, and everything else that matters is top notch. So really how ‘good’ or not a guitar is comes down to the way it is built, not a spec sheet alone. I will say however that all of my Professionals that aren’t EXs feel about on par.. Glad I bought most of them pre-pandemic.
                          Database (WIP) https://mechas64castles.net/CharvelJackson.html
                          My collection also there!

Comment

Working...
                          X