Chris Broderick Pro Soloist 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Broderick Pro Soloist 6

New here today...I just bought a new Broderick Soloist 6 last week..and after a long tedious amount of time to set it up to how I like my Floyd Rose equipped guitars to be its a keeper..

Anytime I buy a guitar with a Floyd Rose special tremelo on it I always already have a real German Floyd to go on them,and this is the case with this guitar..it did have a problem with the locking nut..even when I got it out of the box and tuned it with the Floyd special and did some slight up and downs with the bar the neck creaked and groaned and it surprised me and I wondered WTF !

So I turned the truss rod slightly both directions and that didn't help..I did try to tighten the 2 nut mounting screws and they were super tight and the thing still made terrible noises and could feel it all up and down the neck..so I was going to send it back but I had waited forever it seemed for these guitars to get back in stock and knew I had to keep working at it to make it work properly with no noises.

I had checked and changed out the springs with genuine Floyd Rose noiseless springs,stuffed the original and other sets of springs and didn't help and so I decided to take the locking nut off and see what was happening up top..now with the string lco blocks loosened there was no noise so off camae the nut and what I found was crazy..whoever assembled this guitar had installed a locking nut that has the 2 holes where the mount screws are are threaded for the bottom mount type screws that have 2 holes drilled through the neck and have the screws installed from the underside of the neck that tighten the locking nut down..more of an earlier pre-top mount style locking nut..when i got the locking nut off I put the original screws in the holes and tried to spin them and when bottomed ot the screws seemed to weld themselves to the nut and wouldn't turn so the nut was actually loose enough to allow it to move and make the creaking and groaning sounds.

Maybe they use whatever locking nut was specified and had on hand when assembling this guitar but I have never seen that underside screw mount locking nuts used where it should have been top mount style with no threads in the 2 holes..anyway I have so much hardware and screw types here at home and got the locking nut tightened like its supposed to be and the guitar plays and sounds amazing !

I got my first real Jackson guitar way back in around 1988..it was a USA Randy Rhoads V student model with the dot inlays and currently have a USA Soloist from around 07'-08' and also a Indonesian SL2Q Solist with the Piranha inlays and Ebony fretboard and now with this Chris Broderick Pro I am happy now with all my Jackson guitars.

Now to what I really wanted to write about this CB Pro Soloist 6 guitar..it has the 2 pin non-locking tuners and eventually I know I will want to change them to locking tuners and have been looking online for 3+3 -2 pin locking tuners and have only come up with the Graphtech Ratio tuners which I have had and liked but want to try something else if there are any other ones available ? I called Hipshot and they say no and know that there are some Jackson branded 2 pin locking tuners that come on some of their non-tremelo equipped guitars.

Anybody here have any info on some 3+3 locking 2 pin tuners other than Graphtechs ? I have looked around on this forum some already but haven't found anything.

You have a locking nut.
    Why bother with locking tuners.

Comment

Because I like using them..so much easier to re-string when I do re-string my guitars.

Comment

Yeah thats what i would think is the only reason changing on a floyded guitar. Also 1 brand has the tuners that you can change the orientation from left to right maybe check those. I think they were sperzels.

off topic how are you liking the SL2Q?
        Last edited by ed; 05-10-2022, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Welcome. If you really like locking tuners so much, get Hipshot with their UMP (Universal Mounting Plate) so you won't have to worry about pin holes at all. I put a set on a real cheap Ibanez, and they work great. https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-ha...r-upgrade-kit/
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
          X