Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potentially buying a used jackson dkmg

Hello

I am looking to purchase a another guitar and have found a classified ad for a MIJ Jackson Dkmg.

The guy has 2 ads up, one from 7 weeks ago one from 4 days ago for what seems to be the same guitar but the descriptions are inconsistent.

The first one says its a '98 dkmg, whereas the 2nd is early 2000s

Hey says the serial number is 9846324

The price is a bit cheaper than reverbs avg at 750 so I am a bit skeptical.

I've never bought a used guitar so I am not sure what to look for. He only has 2 pictures listed, but is supposed to send me more today.

?

The two ads and two descriptions makes sense... in a way.

It is a common misconception that a 98 serial means it is 1998.
    Therefore, it is quasi-acceptable to post it was made in 1998, being that people are going to be looking for a 1998 guitar based on a 98 serial.

While at the same time, that guitar is a "Fender era" guitar, which means it could only be post-2001. And since the model did start in 2002, it could be considered a 2002 model (as in "early 2000s") even if it came out later. Like a car, model year is different than calendar year. But different than a car, guitars stay the same for years at a time.

And yet, then we have us. The JCF.
    We are gonna set you straight.

First, the DKMG had 2 primary designs.
    2002-2005, it had passive pickups and 3 knobs.
    and post-2005, it had active pickups with 2 knobs.
    This puts this guitar in the post-2005 category.

And then we can take it a step farther.
    We can tell you that the serial puts it 2010. Maybe last quarter of 2009.

Just to toss this out there - the fact that the guy is 12 years off, does not mean he is lying. The "98 means 1998" is so ingrained into society, that even online serial number validators will tell you that the guitar came from 1998.
    Now, if he wants to tell you he is the original owner and he bought it in 1998 ---- RUN. That is a clear lie.
    But, in general, the truth is so far lost to the internet, that I wouldn't sweat a decade data difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsait22 View Post
      I've never bought a used guitar so I am not sure what to look for.

I pretty much only buy used guitars.
      But I don't buy used guitars online.
      I want to be able to see and touch it in person.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
        The two ads and two descriptions makes sense... in a way.

It is a common misconception that a 98 serial means it is 1998.
        Therefore, it is quasi-acceptable to post it was made in 1998, being that people are going to be looking for a 1998 guitar based on a 98 serial.

While at the same time, that guitar is a "Fender era" guitar, which means it could only be post-2001. And since the model did start in 2002, it could be considered a 2002 model (as in "early 2000s") even if it came out later. Like a car, model year is different than calendar year. But different than a car, guitars stay the same for years at a time.

And yet, then we have us. The JCF.
        We are gonna set you straight.

First, the DKMG had 2 primary designs.
        2002-2005, it had passive pickups and 3 knobs.
        and post-2005, it had active pickups with 2 knobs.
        This puts this guitar in the post-2005 category.

And then we can take it a step farther.
        We can tell you that the serial puts it 2010. Maybe last quarter of 2009.

Just to toss this out there - the fact that the guy is 12 years off, does not mean he is lying. The "98 means 1998" is so ingrained into society, that even online serial number validators will tell you that the guitar came from 1998.
        Now, if he wants to tell you he is the original owner and he bought it in 1998 ---- RUN. That is a clear lie.
        But, in general, the truth is so far lost to the internet, that I wouldn't sweat a decade data difference.
        Thank you for the response!

That does seem to make sense. Speaking to him more he clarified the year thing a bit, and he did mention he had assumed the 98 meant 1998. This is a local ad so I would be able to see it before closing the deal.
        Does the price seem fair at 750$ canadian?

Comment

I'm Canadian. I know which ad(s) you're talking about and I've had a brief conversation with that seller about the Ibanez RG he also has for sale, which means both you and that seller are somewhat close to me, within about 1.5 hours driving distance.

Only you can make the final decision about the price. Prices have increased because of the pandemic and recent inflation. Prior to 2020, a DKMG and other Japanese Jacksons from the late 1990s to 2011 were commonly found on Kijiji for CAD$300 or less and could even include a case. But if you have done your Reverb research, feel comfortable with the price, and like the guitar when you go see it in person, then go ahead.

If you do buy it, you should be able to disassemble the neck from the body and look for the date stamps in the neck pocket and on the neck heel that confirm it is a 2006-2011 guitar. Or, if you're daring, you can ask the seller to disassemble and share photos of those date stamps with you, which will convince him that it's neither 1998 nor early 2000s as either of his ads claim.

I also mostly buy used guitars that I can inspect and play in person. I love used guitars, especially used guitars found on Kijiji! Kijiji has been primarily responsible for my flourishing guitar collection.

Comment

THIS
            Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
            Only you can make the final decision about the price. Prices have increased because of the pandemic and recent inflation. Prior to 2020, a DKMG and other Japanese Jacksons from the late 1990s to 2011 were commonly found on Kijiji for CAD$300 or less and could even include a case. But if you have done your Reverb research, feel comfortable with the price, and like the guitar when you go see it in person, then go ahead.

Post-2020 pricing:
            I sold guitars that I really had no intentions of selling, solely because of the prices I could get.

Comment

So, Tsait22, did you end up seeing/buying the guitar? Curious to hear a follow-up story!

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                So, Tsait22, did you end up seeing/buying the guitar? Curious to hear a follow-up story!
                I have not, It is quite a bit of a drive away just to try it out. I have spotted a dkmgt with EMG 81-85 combo, that I may take a look at since it is closer.

Comment

I've bought most of my guitars sight unseen online. I have done a couple of face to face transactions from Facebook marketplace, but by and large it's ask a bunch of questions and get a bunch of pictures. Basically make sure you know any issues up front. Price sounds high to me, but if you like it and are happy with the price that's all that matters.

Comment

Working...
                  X