Already doing stupid things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Already doing stupid things

Long story short, I just bought an original FRT500 brand new for $249 to install in my $249 JS34Q-DKAM. I just can't leave anything stock.

Now the long story... I am and have always been a mechanic, although I was promoted out of turning wrenches many years ago. Thankfully I was able to retire from my supervisory position and take on a second career as an elementary school teacher. I decided a short while ago to retire altogether and spend more time doing what makes me happy. I'm 51 years old so hopefully I'll have many years ahead to do just that.

Anyway, I have a daughter who has taken an interest in both bass and 6 string electric guitar but she isn't very interested in the guitar as a mechanical device. Being a mechanic myself, I see the instrument the same way that I would look at the fighter jets that I spent 21 years wrenching on. They are a high performance machine that should properly tuned and maintained to perform at their peak. Unfortunately, I knew almost nothing about guitars before about a week ago.

My daughter wanted to make a good choice in purchasing a good starter guitar so she asked her ignorant father to go along and help her make a good choice. We decided on a Jackson HS34Q HSS. It needed a bit of work, but mechanic dad was able to properly set up the Floyd Rose, tuning, and intonation so this machine will perform. The action was already fine, but after shimming the nut and adjusting the truss rod to eliminate the buzz in her Ibanez Mikrobass, I was ready to tackle this on the little Jackson too if necessary. This little guitar impressed me so much as a mechanical device that I decided I needed one too so today I picked up another one for myself (and ordered the OFR the next day) I guess I'm a new guitar student. Now I have just what I needed, another retirement hobby. One that I can share with my youngest daughter.

I know what you mean. Love tinkering with guitars perhaps even more than playing them.

Comment

Being a machinist/Engine builder for MX bikes I know your pain! I keep my Jackson's Tuned for peak performance!

Comment

sounds like smart things to me. have fun with the new guitars and bridge!

Comment

well, mine Arrived today and she's beautiful!

Comment

And the father/daughter pair.

Comment

pics or it didn't happen

Comment

Originally posted by wrldeatr7 View Post
                pics or it didn't happen
                There are pics. They are showing up on my end. Can you not see them?

Comment

Originally posted by ctrout View Post

There are pics. They are showing up on my end. Can you not see them?
                  I can see them. Nice pair! I like to tinker, and I really enjoy buying fixer upper and neglected guitars. It's very satisfying buying a fixer upper, and it turning out to be a monster player.

Comment

WOW! The new bridge arrived today and boy, is the black chrome gorgeous against transparent purple! I'll try to get some pics up soon. Merry Christmas everyone.

Comment

Working...
                    X