Fire-breathing SL4-1H with pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire-breathing SL4-1H with pics

Check it out. I've finally finished turning my formerly basic-black-off-the-rack SL4 into the 1H custom axe I've been dreaming of!

Here's a full-body shot:

. . . a close-up of the ghost flames (they're hard to photograph):

. . . and the back, with plates that, I believe, better suit her new, high-performance look than the black plastic ones she came with:

I think I'll call this an SL4-1H. The H stands for Hemi. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

P.S. I guess I should say I'm "almost" finished. I'm still planning to swap an OFR in for the Jackson licensed Floyd . . . and I might make a diamond plate truss rod cover, and maybe a diamond plate output jack plate, if I can bend it right. These labors of love are never really done, are they? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Fire-breathing SL4-1H with pics

Sweet [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img].I like the direct mount EMG that is pretty cool.That paint job is killer.Is that a GMW refin?

Now if we could only get Jackson to build one like that.
    Mike
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Duuuuude... you can't do something like that without posting pictures or giving details about the PROCESS!!! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] So how did you get it to look so pro? I see no evidence that it even was a two-hum guitar which is very good! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] I guess you stuck some plates on to cover the neck pickup route and refinished the whole top?

Comment

Thanks! I'm a big fan of direct mounts, too (and EMGs for that matter). I direct-mounted an EMG in my Warmoth, and it's the best-sounding guitar I have, so I thought I'd go for it on this one, too.

The paint was done by my brother, who occasionally paints cars if his arm is twisted hard enough. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It is not perfect like a GMW job would be, but more than enough for me.

If Jackson would build a guitar in this configuration, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. 22 frets, neck-through, 1H, Floyd. Come on Jackson! Re-release the SL4 in a 1H version! Please?!?

Comment

It looks amazing! Congratulations dude. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          Facebook - Youtube

Comment

Ha ha. There's actually quite a story there, NOTP. I originally took this project on myself, planning only to fill the neck pickup and extraneous controls (pickup selector and tone knob), and paint just the top, straight black to match the rest. I actually took pics along the way to document it for you guys, but the project didn't work!

See, I had foolishly inserted a carefully cut wood block in the neck pickup hole and failed to bevel the edges of the hole, and guess what? A week or so after I painted it, the block shrunk, and the neck pickup recess appeared like a sore thumb. I redid it, and it happened again! I then scoured the local car, motorcycle and skateboard shops looking for a cool sticker to put over it, and I tried that, thinking no one would be the wiser. WRONG. It looked like I had put a sticker over a botched refin. Finally, I gave up and asked my brother if he would refin it for me. Since he can do this stuff quite easily, I said that if he had time, I'd love to see a ghost flames job done on it. Many months later, that's just what he did! He painted the whole body (back, too), but not the neck or headstock, since I had steel-wooled the neck to give it a satin finish (I actually hinted that he could strip and oil the neck too if he wanted, but he didn't take the bait on that one) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

I've actually been dying to post about this while I've been waiting for the paint to cure, sanding/buffing, etc., but I thought it would be cool to post pics with the post, so I am very happy to have finally reached this point.

BTW, it's great to have a group of interested and informed people to share this with!

Comment

That's insanely cool! Congrats to a great job! Looks killer! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Anders
              https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Scott that thing is sweet.

Comment

very cool soloist!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Looks great! I love the paint. Nice job [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                    Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

great job...looks very nice...
                      www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
                      My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

fooking badass!!
                        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] wow!! I would buy one of them in a minute with black hardware and binding or without binding and dots. great job bro. Jack.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] That's F'n great! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

That is Sweet
                              I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Working...
                              X