Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fire-breathing SL4-1H with pics

Thanks, everybody!!!

To make the plates, I just bought a sheet of aluminum diamond-plate at Menard's (I think it was $17) and cut it to size with a hacksaw and file, then drilled the holes and countersunk them. It really wasn't that hard. I still have some left, so I'm thinking of creating a truss rod cover as well, and perhaps a jackplate, if I can get the bend right (or maybe I'll give my little practice amp the Mesa/Boogie treatment). [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The ebonizing idea is tempting. Anyone have a good trick for ebonizing that you know really works? I tried the steel wool/vinegar approach on a different fretboard, with little success. I have some India ink. Would that work? Perhaps mixed with some kind of oil finish?

Comment

The steel wool / vinegar method depends on starting with a very clean fretboard....or so I have heard. You need to wash it well with hot soapy water, so all the dirt and oils are off and the grain "rises"

Otherwise the solution can't get into the wood, it'll just sit there on the surface and laugh at you. Just ask Number Of The Priest! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yes, that's what happened to my Kramer's fretboard. It looked clean to me - but I've been known to smell my t-shirts to see if they're clean enough to re-wear, too. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: Fire-breathing SL4-1H - DIY tips

In repayment for everyone's kind comments, and noting that some have indicated a desire to take on a project like this on their own, here's a bit of advice, based on my experience.

First, READ THIS and know that, despite a penchant for playing the banjo wearing a Santa hat, [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] mm2002 is a very wise individual, who is 100% correct. Do NOT painstakingly carve a perfectly shaped wood block and install it into your pickup recess, like I did. It WILL shrink, and you will be forever haunted with lines showing exactly where your neck pickup once was. Also, DO bevel the edges of the pickup recess (I didn't know to do this, either). Finally, DON'T use rattle-can paint, as in my experience, it can look nice, but will never dry to a sufficiently hard finish, and your guitar will stick to your guitar stand with suction.

Without the benefit of mm2002's advice, I fought with this project for many months in vain before finally giving up and handing it to my brother in desperation. He used automotive paint and materials, which, apparently, actually work. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

As indicated previously, the paint is not perfect, but plenty good enough for the likes of me. Nevertheless, here are his thoughts on improving the ghost flames painting approach if there is ever a next time (The underlying set of fllames is a bit more subtle than what we were going for). From his email to me . . .
          =======
          If I ever did it again, I think I would do it like this:

1. Paint guitar body basecoat black
          2. Mask off everything except the flames - both background and foreground flames
          3. Paint background/foreground flames silver
          4. Remove masking
          5. Paint flames and body candy red
          6. Mask off everything except foreground flames
          7. Paint foreground flames candy red - more coats, deeper red
          8. remove masking
          9. clearcoat the whole mess

That would give you the transparent foreground flames with the background flames "ghosting" through.

==========
          That said, I think a project like this can be great, and I'm thrilled with the final results of this one. But it needn't take months of pain and suffering (and re-doing), if you follow these tips. Good luck!!

Comment

I must say, that is a pretty sweet job you did on that guitar! Love the flames!!

Comment

SL4-1H w/ebony & binding

Never content to leave well enough alone, I just "ebonized" my SL4's fretboard and applied white 1/8" pinstripe to serve as faux binding. Here's what she looks like now:

Comment

Re: SL4-1H w/ebony & binding

damn dude, keeps getting better!!
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

SL4-1H ebony/binding/truss cover pic

Thanks, MD! Here's a neck shot, to provide a better view of the ebonizing and binding, and also the aluminum diamond-plate truss rod cover, which I made out of some diamond-plate I have left over from the trem and electronics cavity covers.

Comment

Re: SL4-1H ebony/binding/truss cover pic

That is one nice guitar dude! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]Did you end up going with the vineger method of "ebonizing" or did you do it a different way??

Comment

Re: SL4-1H ebony/binding/truss cover pic

Thanks! No, I have a spare neck which I tried the vinegar/steel wool method on several months ago, and it didnt' work at all. It just kinda floated on the fretboard, making an ugly, sticky mess (I've heard other people say it works for them, though).

This time, I just used straight India ink, again starting with my spare neck as a Guinea pig, then moving on to this Jackson. All I did was sand the rosewood lightly with 210 sandpaper, then wiped off the dust and painted the India ink on with a small paintbrush. I used cellophane tape to cover the frets and inlays, to the extent possible, and I also did some free-hand painting, just being careful not to paint the frets or inlays. I let it dry for a day, then rubbed it down, using lots of force, with a rag, and gave it a coat of lemon oil. After that soaked in, I used a rag to wipe it down again.

So far, the India ink method seems to be a winner. It's readily available (I got it at Wal*Mart), so you don't have to send away for it or anything, it's simple (you don't have to mix anything), and it turns the wood as black as can be. It appears to be durable, too, as it's hard to get off inlays, etc., but I'll have to find out how durable it is over time, I guess.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Otherwise the solution can't get into the wood, it'll just sit there on the surface and laugh at you. Just ask Number Of The Priest! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am kicking myself for not taking pictures of this... Oh well. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Wow, ebonizing AND fake binding! Not to mention the refin, of course. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] This thread and the guitar turned out great since I last checked in here! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Any more mods planned for this bad boy? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Black hardware, Original Floyd Rose perhaps? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Hmmm, I was thinking of ways to "yellow/fade" the fake white binding to a nice cream/ivory color which looks nicer in my opinion. But, I wasn't sure how. Maybe let the roll of pinstripe tape sit in a tray of urine for a while before sticking it on the guitar? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

blow cigarette smoke all over it!!
                          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Hahaha. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Instant relic/vintage guitar with aged binding, with authentic "gigged in a smoky bar" smell built in. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

SL4-1H

Thanks, NOTP! You inspired me to do the binding, and I'm glad I did! I actually like the pure white color better than the yellowed binding on my SL2H and AT Pro. Our local auto parts store didn't have any really high quality pinstripe, so I'm going to redo it when I find some good stuff. I couldn't get the dots to look right with a marker, so I just left it dotless. I figured I still have the sharkies to show me the way. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I would like to add an OFR sometime (though I'm happy with the Jackson licensed Floyd - I just think an OFR would look cooler), but I'm sticking with chrome, as it ties in with my hot rod theme and shiny diamond plate covers. I'll still probably do a diamond plate output jackplate. I did one and got the bend done pretty well (the tough part), then totally screwed up drilling the screw holes (should've been the easy part) and wrecked it! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

What I'd really like to do is sand the neck and give it an oil finish, and also get one of those diamond plate cases. Oh yeah, and fix the Achilles heel of every SL4 - replace the locking nut with a narrower one, so the high string won't slip off the edge of the fretboard!

Comment

Working...
                              X