RR24 Prototype at NAMM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RR24 Prototype at NAMM

+6 and a big woohoo to the string-throo! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Bound neck too, I love that.
    http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Some of us have nothing against trems, but still hate Floyds. I'll take my Kahlers, thank you.

Comment

Trems aren't supposed to be made out of car parts! Kahlers suck ass!! [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] I'll take a Floyd any day. I started out playing guitars with Floyds, never cared for the Kahlers. Nowadays all my guitars have fixed bridges, but I've got a couple projects in the works that will have Floyds soon. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I also really can't stand one-hum guitars any more, but the possibility is always there to route for a single coil in the neck. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Bridges are a matter of personal preference. I think Floyd trems suck ass, because a it is just a bandaid fix to a design dating back to 1952. If I wanted wobble, I'd get on a skateboard. I like bends, double stops and non-brittle tone, and I don't get crazy with the bar tricks, so I use a Kahler.

The way I look at it, a Floyd or Kahler can be added to a TOM guitar with a router and the right know how. If the guitar comes with a Floyd, then you're stuck with it. Give me the TOM, and I'll put my Kahler on if I want it. I could put a Floyd on, too. However, after one ugly project where I took a Floyd off, cut blocks of wood, glued them in place, used a bunch of wood filler, and still couldn't get the paint to look right, I decided to never buy another Floyd-equipped guitar again.

The first time I played a Floyd, I completely hated the feel. I used to be dead set against trems, until I played a Kahler, and it just all seemed right to me. I can completely understand how someone who likes the feel of a Floyd would hate a Kahler.

Comment

Yeah, Kahlers always felt too wobbly for me on my friends guitars back in the '80s. I never had a problem with a Floyd. I usually prefer my Floyds set up with 4 or 5 springs for the stiffer feel it gives in making it a little harder to press the bar down, but I can still play them with 2 or 3 springs to get more of the warble effect by flicking the bar like Brad Gillis.

Comment

thank God!!! no floydie, yay!

Comment

I only play Kahlers with the heavy springs installed. I had one guitar with the standard springs, and I positively hated it. Just like you said, too wobblely. I also avoid Flyers, they are just junk, comparable to the Floyd copies without the hardened base plates.

Kahlers get a bad rap because they have a lot of ways you can modify them. I start with the heavy springs, then adjust the screw on the springs to set the general tension for the bridge. Then I string it up, and adjust the cam tensioner to get the cam to sit parallel with the rest of the bridge. This is all after I adjust the saddles to get the proper string height, which changes the string angle over the bridge, which effects the way the bridge responds. It is one of those designs that works amazing when set up properly, but is one screw turn away from total suckage.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Randy's main (and favorite) axe from the QR days til Ozzy was his stop tail LPC...yes, his Jackson pinstripe Concord and his Sandoval both had V trems, but he didn't play those as much as his LPC....mainly because they went outta tune so quickly (non locking). The Rhoads model Jackson that he designed (black and brass) that was pretty much a refined Concord model was a string-thru.
                  The majority of my US Jackson's are all equipped with OFR's...but I never use it. It's a pain in the ass to me...I like having the ability to change my tunings in a minute versus's having to spend 20 minutes setting a Floyd. Obviously different strokes for different folks, but over the years I've found what I like...and I'm not the only one either. Sure if you play 80's metal you've gotta have a Floyd [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I stand corrected. I don't really know anything about his guitars, I just know that my favorite song from him (Mr Crowley) has at least 5 places where he uses a bar. How do you guys playing covers that change tunings every 15 minutes play any song where a trem is used?

In any case, I think the RR1 sells better than the RR1T and Floyd guitars in general sell more than non-Floyd. I think it's also more likely that the type of person to want the extra 2 frets will also likely want a Floyd. I don't understand why all 3 import RR's (RR5, RR24, Kev Bond) would not have Floyds. Perhaps it's to keep up the sales of the RR1?

Comment

I don't know about all of that..but I KNOW I wish my RR5 had a Floyd. I have found my preference and it includes the Floyd.

Comment

Noodles, your avatar is the 29 fret prototype, that is also for sale on Jcguitars.com. A few people asked me about buying it at NAMM, but I see that you may have it, but its still for sale on "hold". Do you know what the scoop is? I know there are not 2 of these......

Brooks
                      www.BrooksGuitarUniverse.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Noodles, your avatar is the 29 fret prototype, that is also for sale on Jcguitars.com. A few people asked me about buying it at NAMM, but I see that you may have it, but its still for sale on "hold". Do you know what the scoop is? I know there are not 2 of these...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Brooks, Justin just never updates his site. He doesn't have that guitar anymore, unless he flew to Virginia and broke into my house after I left this morning. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

BTW: Do your archtops have different neck profiles? This guitar is different from all my other Jackson, it seems to have a d-shape instead of a c-shape.

Comment

Here we go again...another Floyd vs. non-Floyd pissing match! Can't you guys get a fuckin' life, and stop bitching about weenie sh|t like this?

Floyd vs. Non-Floyd is a matter of preference...not..."My guitar has a Floyd, so it's cooler than your string-thru guitar anyday!" [img]/images/graemlins/baby.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm not trying to say one's better than the other, I'm trying to figure out the reasoning behind making all of the nice imports without Floyds.

All I want is a 24-fret RR with Floyd for less than $3000. They're already being made in Japan, it seems silly that they're not sold over here.

Comment

I bet they will re-release the RR5 with a Floyd, come Summer NAMM...they have to do something different, one would think.

And Troy...wasn't singling you out bro....I'm just tired of reading thru the trem vs. string thru pissing matches on here.

Comment

Ken, my DiMarzio Super Distortion is better than your Duncan Parallel Axis Distortion. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X