Phil Collen PC3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phil Collen PC3

Its because of the love/hate relationship w/ this guitar, why Im just going to build my own "frankenstein"-ish Charvel. After many years of playing japanese Jackson`s and fighting w/ em constantly, I decided to pick up a Jackson PC3 about 4 years ago...yet again another Japanese Jackson, but I figured my luck would change. First off..after installing a Dimarzio tone zone(bridge) and 2 duncan hot rails, this guitar sounded and still sounds phenomonal. But even after having an ORIGINAL floyd installed, this guitar will not stay in tune no matter what you do. The neck to me is awesome, but due to a very poor fret job, the fret buzz is just enough to make ya nuts. even with 11`s on it. Have any of you gents had any experience with the PC3?

Re: Phil Collen PC3

I have a PC3 and had similar problems. The neck on mine twisted just a bit. I put 10's on and had a good fret job done to it. It helped but there is still a bit of buzz. I love the guitar though after replacing the pickups. Duncan Custom/Lil Demon/Lil 59. Sounds great and if the amp is turned up I don't hear the buzz.
    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

!!!

Thats bad stuff to hear. I tought those guitar were very good for the money.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I have a PC3 and had similar problems. The neck on mine twisted just a bit. I put 10's on and had a good fret job done to it. It helped but there is still a bit of buzz. I love the guitar though after replacing the pickups. Duncan Custom/Lil Demon/Lil 59. Sounds great and if the amp is turned up I don't hear the buzz.

[/ QUOTE ]Yknow Jack, I originally put a Lynch S/D in it and it sounded so brittle. It was awful. Then I changed it to Dimarzio TZ and it was fine. Mine is goin on ebay today.

Comment

i have had that problem with a PC-1!! i, too, love and hate that guitar. now the sustainer died, and i have to rewire the whole thing, it's just going to be a wickedly overpriced PC-3!!
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Thats sad to hear MD. to pay that kinda money for a guitar, and to have endless problems with it. I had the privilage of playin a PC1 here in pitt and wasnt impressed w/it. For my taste, the neck was a little to ballbat-ish for me, but they are drop dead gorgeous guitars.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Yknow Jack, I originally put a Lynch S/D in it and it sounded so brittle. It was awful. Then I changed it to Dimarzio TZ and it was fine. Mine is goin on ebay today.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't really noticed it as I usually have the Lil Demon on with one of the other pickups. I don't like the sound of pickups in the mid position alone anyway.
              http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

I also have had problems with my PC-3. When I purchased it new from a local store it had a notch in the 20th fret between the B and G strings that was deep enough to hear and feel. The shop ground it out and cleaned up the surrounding area; so that problem was fixed - but I still have problems with buzzing in various locations especially the G. It's just kinda dead and lifeless - U really notice it acoustically, not so much plugged in, but still it is there. I changed the 9-42's to 10-48's. I'm not a guitar tech but have some experience with truss rod and tremolo set-ups and shouldn't be having these kind of problems with a MIJ Jackson of this quality. I've picked up many a lesser Jackson from who knows what country that have cleaner fretting. Aside from the fret/neck problem, she's got one of the better tones that you'll get from any Jackson - USA or MIJ. Not much U can do wrong when U combine the dark rich tone of mahogany with a bright quilted maple fretboard. I also have been trying to get away from the MIJ Jacksons but she was so beautiful I had to take her home. For the most part staying in tune is OK - IMO, not as well as an OFR though. Don't get much time to play so I haven't got around to changing the P/U's. Wait I lied... I forgot about 3 years ago I put in a Dimarzio YJM in the neck - it was supposed to go into my '88 MIJ Contemporary Strat- but I couldn't resist. I originally wanted to do like a SH-4/Cool Rail/ Lil '59 type set-up,etc. Anyone have tone suggestions? Let me know

Comment

well my PC-1 has become the deluxe PC-3. no more sustainer. i gutted the electronics over the weekend and installed EMGs at 18v. it now has an 85 in the bridge and 2 SAs in the neck and middle. i have to say that it sounds better than it ever has...and i HATE EMGs. the only reason i put them in was because i already had battery boxes installed.
                  GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I had a PC3 with the quilted maple board and also two PC1's with the flamed maple board. I wonder if why they switched to flamed boards is true? I've heard they switched because frets would become "loose" in the soft quilted maple and cause some of the various problems you all are seeing. Hmmm... I personally never had any problems with my PC3.
                    Brian

Comment

Working...
                    X