Soloist SL3 Versus Soloist Pro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soloist SL3 Versus Soloist Pro?

Quality wise, we're they both similar, and made in Japan?

Im seeing a lot of both pop up lately, curious if either are worth a look. Im hoping to have a fixed bridge guitar, as well as a trem version in the near future , all Jacksons [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Soloist SL3 Versus Soloist Pro?

If it were me I would go with the Pro.I own a couple of Archtop Pros(90-91) and they equal my SL1(03)in build quailty.The Pros were the same as the USA soloist at the time in terms of build quailty.The trems on the Pros are also much better than what is on a SL3.You get a Schaller floyd on the Pros who also builds the OFR.I also do not care for rosewood all that much and the Pros should have ebony.And a soloist without binding just does not do it for me.
    Mike
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Pros all the way.
      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

+1
        The SL3 is nice, IMO (with a replacement locking nut to keep the high string from falling off the edge of the fretboard), but does not compare to the Pro.

Comment

so the Pro's are essentialy like the Model 6? A comparable guitar to the USA's with similar fret workmanship and build quality?

Comment

Pro....no doubt.

Comment

I have no complaints about my SL3. That being said, you can get a decent old Pro cheaper than an SL3 and they're supposedly better playing instruments. I have not owned one myself so I can't compare directly.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                so the Pro's are essentialy like the Model 6? A comparable guitar to the USA's with similar fret workmanship and build quality?

[/ QUOTE ]

you tell us what you think, i have one of each!

you lose a tone knob and convert to a 5-way switch when you go from an M6 to a Soloist, and the neck angle is slightly different, because the tremolo sits above the body on the M6, and the cavity is recessed on the Soloist...

Comment

which do you prefer [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Both are Ebony fretboards correct? Also, where would u put it agaisnt a USA SL1 or SL2H?

Comment

Hi Jeff,

They are rosewood boards. Up against, would be SL1 as the SL2H is a 2 hum. Although the specs between the two are otherwise identical.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      which do you prefer [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Both are Ebony fretboards correct? Also, where would u put it agaisnt a USA SL1 or SL2H?

[/ QUOTE ]

if i had to give one of them up (not w/o a fight!!!) it would have to be the Soloist, my Model 6 is a killing machine, although my Soloist is only a hair behind...

Comment

The only disadvantage on the Model 6, to me, is that it has the Kahler stringlock behind the nut, rather than a Floyd-type locking nut. I suppose they both work, but I find the stringlock changes the pitch more when you lock it, as compared to a locking nut.

Apart from that, I prefer the neck angle and non-recessed trem on the Model 6/650xl.

Comment

I'd go Model 6 if you can find one in nice shape and throw a real floyd on it and a floyd lock nut.
                          I had 2, sold both of them and now wish I kept my blue 87, it played as well as either of my USA soloists [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
                          I also had an SL3 and it didn't come close to my Model 6's in quality or feel.
                          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I prefer the behind the nut locks over the FR locking nuts, I just like the graphite nut i have over any metal nut, that's one of my reasons for choosing my M6 over my Soloist...

Comment

Pro models, especially the Jackson Pro`s from 1990-92, they were exactly like the USA models, right down to the ebony and mop sharkies. I would still take a Pro Soloist with rosewood over the SL3, I feel the SL3 lacks so much in looks and way over priced. That being said, if I could get an SL3 for a steal, well that would be different. Jack.

Comment

Working...
                              X