No announcement yet.

1999-2000 Jackson DR7 comments needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999-2000 Jackson DR7 comments needed.

I got bead on a brand new DR7 for stupid cheap. It's brand new and has been a wall decoration in this particular shop for at least 5 or 6 years. It is a dark sparkly blue with the brushed chrome hardware, 22 frets, etc. I need some detailed info from my JCF brothers who have em or have had em or otherwise. I need to satisfy my need for drop tunning into to the depths of hell. Please help!

Thanks in advance.
    Sarj

Re: 1999-2000 Jackson DR7 comments needed.

I owned one very briefly, and only got rid of it because I had just started a new band and didn't need a 7-string. Very comfortable neck, not nearly as wide as I'd expected. The stock pickups are pretty muddy though, so you'd probably want to get a few upgrade suggestions right away.
    sigpic

Comment

Sarj,
      Would you be interested in this?

DR-7 bought from classifieds

or do you have a better deal lined up? This just arrived from Tetsuo, but I have to sell it immediately to raise cash for another guitar.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

I owned a DR7 briefly. Has a very nice neck profile by 7-string standards. Frets don't seem as nice as on other Jackson imports I've played. Mine had a very nice tone, but almost no sustain, for some reason. The body was very very light.

Mine had a manufacturing flaw--the slot for the nut was obviously cut crooked, so that the low-E was too high at the first fret, and the high-E was too low. Could have been fixed by doing some surgery to the nut, I suppose, but I didn't have the guitar long enough to find--it just didn't float my boat. I wish Jackson made a production neckthru 7-string and was really disappointed to learn that the Wolbers sig model will be bolt-on.

And yes, you HAVE to get rid of the Duncan Design pickups if you get one. Their 7-string pickups really do suck bad.

Comment

Thanks pro-fusion. I figured the pups would suck hard. I think I'm going with a Seymour Duncan Distortion 7 in the bridge and something low key like an SH-1 7 in the neck. I don't use the neck picups pretty much ever unless it's a Strat w/3 singles or something.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

I've used the Distortion-7 in a couple of different guitars, including the DR7, and it rocks! You'll be very pleased. Before I got the Distortion-7, I was worried that the low-B string would be too muddy or indistinct, but that is not the case at all. The Distortion-7 is my favorite 7-string pickup, apart from the EMG-707, which is what I have in my current LTD H-307.

As for a neck pickup, I would recommend the SH-2 Jazz-7, rather than the '59, which can be a bit muddy, in my experience.

Comment

Godd call. I'll try that setup for sure. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X