Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Jackson

Hello all,
    first time here,been a Gibson man up untill now,got my 1st Jackson DK2(Jap)coming this week.My question is Ive always replaced the pots and caps on all my LesPauls with 500k pots and .022 caps ,what do the Jacksons come with and should they be changed,if so where is everyone purchasing them from ,Also are the SD design pups any good compared to the real thing............thanks all [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Re: New Jackson

Hello & welcome aboard.
    According To The Prophecy

Comment

i do the same with all my guitars...regardless of what they have in them...i just like 500k pots better...as for the duncan designed?...they're ok...but i prefer the real thing...d.m.
      http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Welcome man [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks for the welcome,but I have to be honest I've never played a Jackson before, I bought this guitar basically because it looks hot(trans red)and I got a great deal.I know before Fender bought Jackson,Jacksons were the guit to have if you were playing Metal,but how are the overseas modals

Comment

Welcome Les! The DK2 is a great guitar for the money. As with most mid-level imports, Jackson sacrifices quality in the electronics to make them affordable. The DK2 comes stock with 500K pots and they're decent but they'll probably need replacing sooner than you think. Same goes for the trem. Some folks don't run into any problems with it, some do.

As far as the Duncan Designed pups, they're not bad, but as d.m. said, you'll probably prefer the real thing. The dealer I bought mine from (Easton Guitars, one of our sponsors) replaced the bridge pup with a SD Distortion prior to shipping it to me so I can't give you a real opinion on it. Also, just recently I replaced all the electronics and the neck pup with a Lil' 59. My first successful attempt at working on my own guitar. It was successful thanx to my fellow JCFers who assisted me when I ran into problems.

That's what you'll find here. Extremely knowledgeable, helpful folks who willingly share their knowledge, experiences and opinions. But, I hope you have a thick skin cuz some of us can ride ya kinda hard at times. Just part of the fun.

BTW, adhere to the rules, especially concerning the classifieds until you become a regular member after 100 posts. Figured I'd point that out before someone else does.

Enjoy your stay and by all means, post pics of your current gear. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
            My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

DK2`s are a great bang for the buck!! I had a DK2 a few years ago and currently have a DK2LE. Mine has an EMG 81 and it smokes!! I happen to like the JT-580LP trem. Sure it isn`t as good as the real Floyd, but it doesn`t suck either. I haven`t liked a Duncan Designed pickup I have ever heard. I would throw a SD Distortion or BL500XL or either an EMG 81 or 85 in the bridge. Jack.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Hello all,
                first time here,been a Gibson man up untill now,got my 1st Jackson DK2(Jap)coming this week.My question is Ive always replaced the pots and caps on all my LesPauls with 500k pots and .022 caps ,what do the Jacksons come with and should they be changed,if so where is everyone purchasing them from ,Also are the SD design pups any good compared to the real thing............thanks all [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the forum man. I'm trying to get a DK2 as well, but the problem is that I'm left handed, so I can't find one in stock. You said you gotta great deal on the guitar. Can you tell me where you getting it from, so i can check them out too? Maybe I can get a good price too. Thanks and welcome again!

Comment

I've been thinking about 500k pots for a while now. What do the do to the sound of the guitar?
                  93 USA Soloist EDS
                  USA HT6 Juggernaut
                  Charvel DK24FR

Comment

500K pots generally give a more high end tone as in more treble. Jack.

Comment

Hi welcome aboard.

Comment

Welcome to this most excellent Jackson community!
                        That DK2 is a nice axe. It's gonna be a lot different from anything you're used to if you only play LPs, of course [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I was never a fan of those Duncan Design pups (I love my real Duncans!), and I like Schaller or OFR better than the JT580LP.. but as far as that goes, an earlier post's description is sound-- some people have probs with that trem, and some like it just fine. Guess it's a matter of taste or whether or not you get a lemon?

Anyway enjoy that axe!

Comment

500k pots on the volume, or the tone knobs?

Comment

Interesting, been using 250k pots for years.

PT

Comment

Every Jackson I've ever owned (except for the ones with active electronics) had 500k pots as standard equipment. In general, I thought that 250k pots were useful only for single-coil guitars like strats, or to roll off the brightness from a humbucker, which is not usually something you'd want to do on a guitar designed for hard rock/metal. While the DK2 has neck/middle single coils, I think that the humbucker is the 'most important' pickup on that guitar, and warrants 500k pots. Also, ditch the Duncan Design bridge pickup immediately! I'll best a Duncan Distortion or DiMarzio Tone Zone would sound awesome in a DK2.

Comment

Working...
                              X