ID this Jackson body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID this Jackson body

Hi, Im getting this for a beater project and Im wondering if you guys can tell anything about the model and possible origin of this body. The guy says it was a dinky reverse. It has no circular cutout on the back by the neck and I dont see any stamps in the neck pocket. Heres the pic.

http://i8.ebayimg.com/01/i/03/76/21/37_1_b.JPG

Its coming with most of the hardware too, except for the humbucker. I need to know what kind of neck I need for this. How many frets, Will any jackson or charvel pointy neck fit the pocket? Will an ESP neck fit? Does it make a difference if this turns out to be an indian made body as far as the neck pocket? I guess I will be able to tell you more when I get it. Thanks.

Re: ID this Jackson body

Hmm, maybe it doesnt look like its a jackson body? Or maybe the picture really just sux? Any comments at all? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

It looks like one of those Musician's Friend exclusive models they had a few years ago. I can't remember the model numbers, but there were two versions, one with dot inlays, and one with sharkfins. Both of those guitars had reverse headstocks, so I think this is a body from one of those. I'll look through my old catalogs and let you know what I find.

Chris
      Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

Wow, interesting. Ive just been going through all the Harmony central reviews and I found one for a dinky reverse professional with an HSS config. The reviewer said that he got it from MF in 2001. The dr imports seem to be the only ones I can find with flat backs and the same volume control placement right below the bridge humbucker ring screw, and a floyd. If you could find a pic that would be awesome. I need to know what type of neck to look for,22 or 24 fret, and the scale would be nice to know too, but Im guessing 25.5.

Comment

judging by the proximity of the pickups from each other, that body takes a 24-fret neck with the 25.5" scale

Comment

Here's a pic of the MF JD-R guitars. The control layout on the JD-R is different from the pic of your guitar body. I'm not exactly sure what body you have. The body you have does look to be used with a 24 fret neck as BOP said. Maybe it is a PS-2 body? Do you have any pics of the back? The PS-2 has a very slight scoop or angle on the heel, but nothing like the scoop on a DK-2. It's possible that in a bad pic it would appear to be flat with such a slight scoop. Whatever it is, it looks like a good start to a project.

Good luck with it,
            Chris

Comment

Cool, thanks so much for posting that pic. I see the difference in the control layout. I dont have the body yet but when I get it I will post a couple of better pics. Do even these newer imports all have markings on the neck pocket and heel for ID purposes? Like will an Indian made job have them?

Comment

I have a bigger pic. It's too big to post, but if you want it, PM your email and I will send it to you. I'm not sure about the markings in the neck pocket. Most guitars probably have some markings, but I wouldn't worry about it. As long as the body is solid wood instead of ply, it should make a decent project body. As far as necks go, any brand should be ok as long as the number of frets, scale, and heel width is the same. Just measure the pocket when you get it to be sure what it is. I think it should be 2 1/4" on most Jacksons, although I have a Indian made JS20 with a 2 3/16" pocket. If the body is 2 1/4", you could still use a 2 3/16" neck. It would just have a little gap on each side of the pocket. What are you planning for the body, paint wise, etc.?

Comment

Well, like I said, its for a beater so I wasnt really worried about the paint although Im not a really big fan of black guitars. Does anyone make a bullseye sticker template for these bodies? Im thinking like a car graphic where you just lay out the whole thing with the backing still on, then when its all stuck to the body you just peel back the backing and everything is where it belongs. Is there any difference, besides looks, between a reverse head and normal head pointy neck? Either should work, right. Like it doesnt matter if the body originally had a reverse and I ended up with a normal pointy? Ive been looking on ebay for complete pointy necks (tuners and locknut included) and they go for like $150. Id like to keep it all Jackson but there are lotsa esp,bcr, and washburn complete necks for a lot cheaper. For pickups Ive got an HSS Ibanez branded set of Dimarzios, F2,C2,C2. Or I might just keep the stock singles and stick a tone zone in the bridge that Ive got laying around. I'll definately have to measure the neck pocket when I get it. I'll know more then.

Comment

Working...
                  X