Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK2 or DKMG or DXMG ?

Hello,
    I would like to buy a new Jackson guitar. I am looking at the DK2, DKMG and DXMG. What is the better guitar. I was going to order it mail order. I can use some input.
    Thank you

Re: DK2 or DKMG or DXMG ?

Use search function, newbie.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I'm relatively new to Jacksons (6 months), but I've been studying to buy my second, so I'll take a quick stab.

Quality & price range are generally the same. All 3 have alder body (DK2 & DXMG=standard Dinky, DKMG=carved top), bolt-on rock maple neck w/rosewood fingerboard (DK2 & DXMG=Sharkfin inlays, DKMG=Piranha), and JT580 Low Profile trem (Jackson licensed version of a Floyd Rose Pro). DK2 has classic Jackson headstock and chrome hardware, DKMG & DXMG have reverse headstock and black hardware.

DK2 has Duncan Designed H/S/S pickups, DKMG & DXMG have EMG HZs H/H. The DKMG features EMG Active Turbocharger gain boost, while one version of the DK2, the DK2FS comes with Duncan Firestorm gain boost and another, the DK2S, with Sustainiac.

So basically it comes down to which pickups (Duncan or EMG) and features (Turbocharger, Firestorm, Sustainiac) you like. Otherwise, the differences are aesthetic: body, headstock, hardware, inlays, etc.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Use search function, newbie.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
        [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Ron is right. A search of the Import and General forums should provide you with plenty of feedback about all of these models, plus plenty of head-to-head comparisons between each as well.
        Hail yesterday

Comment

I recommend the Dkmg.

Comment

I like the DXMG

Comment

I would go with a DXMGT unless you really want a floyded guitar.
              RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
              CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
              Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
              Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

Are the knobs on the DKMG just black versions of the chrome metal domes on the DK2?

Comment

I bought a DK2 - my first Jackson. I'd say it is more for a "vintage" tone - the humbucker is based on a Duncan JB (hot PAF) and the singles are based on - Fender singles!

It's a good base to do some hotrodding. I also like the classic "Jackson" looks of a bound fretboard with Sharkfin inlays.

Comment

I love my DXMG. it gets more playing time than all my other guitars, even my SL2GX, and Sullycaster DK1.

Comment

I would say the DK2 although I do want a DXMG in gunmetal grey someday.

The DK2, as DonP says is definately up to some hotrodding. I hotrodded mine and have to say out of the 4 Jackson guitars I've owned over the last 10 years, my 2002 DK2 is the absolute best I've ever layed my hands on. With a good pickup upgrade it can most definately hold it's own against anything out there. I would say something about the new neck thickness, but I guess all Jacksons under Fender have new neck dimensions from what I can see. I would guess all Japaneese import Jacksons have the same neck back profile now? Anyway, preference is another thing. I have no use for a neck humbucker most of the time. I do, however like a neck single coil so for me, the DK2 is almost the ideal pickup configuration. Ideal for me is either one humbucker or one humbucker and a neck single.

I'd go with a DK2.

Sarj

Comment

Sarj,

I love my DK2, but I was hoping to move up to a bigger and better Jackson. You are killing me by saying I'm already at the top LOL!

What 4 other Jacksons are you comparing the DK2 against, if I might ask?

Comment

My first was a 1994 Jackson Dinky Reverse with 2 humbuckers, one blade style in the bridge and one 12 hole standard type at the neck. It was killer, but like I said, I like singles in the neck position. The other one was an RR3 that wasn't all that great due to the worn out trem posts and the finish cracks all over the place. It did have a killer set of DiMarzios, but the 22 fret neck felt funny and the sound wasn't what I was expecting. The other is one of the 2 I own now, the DK2LE one hummer I have. It's a great guitar, but you aren't gonna find one on the rack any time soon. It kicks ass, but were talkin production axes here. The 2002 DK2 I have is absolutely killer and has stayed that way for 3 years now. I have the 2 stock singles and a Seymour Duncan SH-6 (not to be confused with the trem-bucker model or F-Spaced). It handles all my musical needs period. You do have a killer axe and ar4e at the top of the import series as far as I'm concerned.

Sarj

Comment

Thanks for the insight. I guess since I love this one with the JB style pickup in it, I should get another to have one with a Duncan Distortion as well!

I have to admit, I really am taking a liking to this DK2 (I've had it for less than a month), but I'd like to get a something very similar, but with an ebony freatboard, real MOP inlays, MOP "Jackson" headstock. I'd like to get a neck-thru as well. Now to find the guitar that matches this description. Any idea of what I'm shooting for?

Comment

Sounds like you want a Soloist. SL1 is H/S/S (JB & 2 Classic Stacks), SL2H is H/H (JB & a '59).

DK1 (USA Dinky) has all of those features except neck-through, but is only a tiny bit cheaper, so you might as well go with a Soloist.

Comment

Working...
                              X