Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should I???

Newc:
    I agree with what I have seen: the electronics is the weak link (paradoxically, this is the cheapest part and makes no sense to skimp here). I have not picked up an import I was as impressed with (except:...shhhhhh!...a Samick).

Comment

Right, but I think his point is that by only skimping on the electronics, Jackson is actually doing the customer a favor. They had to make the Jap guitars inferior somehow, but since you can easily replace the electronics, they're not crippling the imports as they would be if they'd skimped on the bodies and necks instead.

Good luck with the upgrade. I want to do the same to my DK2FS in the next few weeks, so I might be begging you for some help if thats ok. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I just re-wired my DX10 as per the Seymour Duncan site says for: 2 humbuckers, one volume, one tonw, 5-way switch, coil splitting.

I dont know who came up with this, but when I tested it I thought I had it wired wrong. I expected the 5-way to work like a Strat: as you move the 5-way forward, you move from the bridge to the neck. It did NOT work at all like this, but it is something I can get used to.

Imagine:
        POS-1: Bridge humbucking
        POS-2: Neck AND Bridge humbucking (both active)
        POS-3: Neck only humbucker
        POS-4: Bridge humbucking with neck humbucker split
        POS-5: Bridge split (one side of each humbucker is working)

So, you see to go from Just back PUP to just front PUP, you have to go from POS-1 to POS-3 (instead of full back to full front). Be aware of this when you do this 'mod' as they call it. I put a label on the inside of the cover so someone later wouldnt think the wiring was someones experiment that went wrong.

I used a terminal strip for a ground post (not the pots), and just left the original wiring of the preamp for a future project (with the same reason why they only do one eye at a time when you get cataract surgery: incase bad luck hits twice).

Interestingly, the volume is WEAK when the preamp is switched off (not as weak as before with the DDs). Other than the fact you have PUPs that say SEYMOUR DUNCAN and not duncan designed, the sound IS better.

ewright:
        Go get a pair of new 500K Audio taper pots and a new polyprop 0.047uF cap before you start. I used an American standard 5-way switch (not the cheap one used by Squiers). The size of the Fender Standard 5-way is IDENTICAL to the Jackson DX10s 3-way. Just be sure to not over torque the slide screws, as they will crack the reletively soft wood. Remember, the slider switch and pots only need to be tight enough to HOLD (and resist a nuclear blast). Periodic re-tightening is part of any expected maintenance.

Also, I think its silly of me to spend time posting a schematic of the DX-10FS: just look at the S.D. website layout for two humbuckers, one vol, one tone, 3-way switch, no split and know that the output to the jack goes to the on/off switch preamp section (easy).

Comment

Quiet output SOLVED.

I just thought I would post this incase someone else had this problem: when the FS switch is switched off, the output of the guitar dropped to almost NONE.

I looked at the preamp switch and was looking for a weak ground. Well, the bypass part of the switch was nothing more than a solder bridge from one terminal to another. As you know, solder is not glue, nor is it wire. I slapped a piece of 22 gauge tinned bus wire in, soldered it in, and BOOM! The whole guitar came ALIVE. Both switch in and non-switch have that classic humbucker sound, except the switch makes it BURN!

Thanks for everyones help on this (thats why I only paid 250.00 for this perhaps 10 month-old guitar). Cha-CHING!

Comment

Re: Quiet output SOLVED.

Damn what a killer post. I'll be reworking my DX10D after reading this.

Any chance your axe was the DX10DFS amber burst flame-top that was on eBay a couple of weeks ago that was listed as a DX10D?

Comment

The switching issue is not surprising, since a traditional (Fender) 5-way is just a 3-way with two extra stops.
              Position 2 acts as a bridge between the 1st and 3rd prongs, which means anything connected to those prongs is active. Position 4 is the bridge between the 3rd and 5th prongs.

Depending on how the switch is made, you might be able to make it a true 5-position switch like a Megaswitch, but it would involve delicate microsurgery.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Razor:
                My amber burst DX10DFS was a trade-in in a local Guitar Center. I have been doing amp repairs for GS here (un-officially). One of the managers called me and told me a better Jackson came in than the one I had on layaway, and I should snatch it up. This one is prestine, except it has two nicks in the paint resulting in a chip the size of a pea on the top and a chip half that on the bottom by the jack missing (are wood). From a distance, you cant tell.

Besides that, the whole purpose of this guitar WAS to save fretware on my YJM strat. But that was before I got hooked on Jacksons. Now, my goal is to buy a SL-1, and now even my beloved 2004 USA YJM is not safe from making that a reality!. While I have played scalloped necks since 1987, I can play scallop/non-scallop and they are the same to me (but I can light up a scalloped fretboard easier).
                Likely, I will keep the YJM, as it has been a dream guitar for me since I heard of them in the late 1980s. The DX-10 will have to be 'the Jackson' until I raise 1800.00 for the SL-1.

I DO like the S.D. website layout for installing two humbuckers, one vol, one tone, 5-way switch, and coil splitting. In fact, I am already used to it. What they did was to make the standard 3-way operate on the first three positions (Bridge-both-neck), and then use the last two clicks operate some fancy splitting. The last two clicks make the staccato action easier for sweeps and runs and is just about like my YJM strat (which is the ultimate sweep arpegio/ staccato run machine). I highly recommend this, as the last two coil splitting settings dont mud out with a higher gain amp as they do on the neck pickup on my YJM Strat (and again, I bought two NEW Seymour Duncan SH-6s to replace the HB103s that are standard on the DX10).

What can I say: Im hooked on Jacksons now. How much better do the USAs play? Should I stay away from the USA line, or risk making my wife pissed at the gear junkie living inside of me (more)?

Comment

Let her be pissed [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  Current USAs are miles above the current imports, but older imports are probably going to be on-par with current USA models in terms of construction quality, but the hardware will need to be replaced.
                  Can't do much better than a 1990-91 Soloist Pro.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Well, when she is pissed, she can involk the power of 'the denial' on me (shes pretty hot, and that punishment hurts). Living with a natural blonde with Pam Andersons body and 'notta' has to be outlined in the Geneva convention as punishment too cruel for (male) humans.

Well, I just bought a new DPDT switch and rewired the preamp section as much as I thought was nescessary, so this guitar is pretty much a new guitar (new pots, new 5-pos switch, new pickups, new cool black preamp switch, new Dunlop locknuts, new strap). Tonight Im bringing it to practice and let the guitar players fiend over it (they all play early 70s Les Pauls).

Comment

Working...
                    X