Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help to identify the serial number

Howdy guys,

please accept a new member, it's great to see this discussion and there is a lot of interesting stuff here.

Could you help me to identify my Soloist? The serial number is 012196. It looks just like a normal SL-2H, but based on the number is either Japanese-made or? I wonder what is the year as well.

Thank you much!
    Alex

Re: Please help to identify the serial number

the serial number suggests that it's Japanese. Can't tell much else from the serial number alone.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Yeah, first off, are you sure it's a Soloist? Soloists are neck through; same body shape in a bolt-on is generally called a Dinky. Do you have any pics? Does it say "Professional" on the headstock? If so, that is definitely made in Japan. The serial may ID the year as 1990. How about describing it better? Body style, neck construction, fretboard material, type of logo, number of frets, type of inlays, switch/knob layout, etc etc etc. Ya NEWBIE! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Hmm, I was going to post a much nicer version of that @ about 3:30am Ron. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        If it doesn't say made in the USA, it is probably japanese. If it says professional, then for sure it is MIJ.

Neck thru or bolt on, body shape... yadda, yadda. next! [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Oh and welcome. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

My Newbieness:

Why are dinky's called dinky's?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            My Newbieness:

Why are dinky's called dinky's?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the body is smaller than a fender strat body. 7/8 the size, I believe.

Comment

I tried comparing bodies assuming that, but it's hard to notice.

I have a MIM start I'll compare mine to.

Comment

Might there be the letter "J" in front of those 6 numbers? If so, it's a Japanese neck through from 1990. But there weren't any neck through Soloists with dual hums made by Jackson in this market. Remember, the AT Pro was set in neck.
                "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                Gotta get away from here.
                Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Guys, thank you for the replies. I'll see about the pictures may be tonight. I keep looking but have never seen the exact-looking SL model anywhere.

It is transparent green, neck through, 81 and 85 EMGs but no pickup rings which is interesting. And there never was one, apparently this is the factory setup. There is battery cavitty with the battery holder factory installed on the back as well. No J at the beginning of the serial number, just the digits. Ebony fretboard, MOP inlays, MOP logo on the headstock. Black headstock and it does not say professional or made in the USA or made in Japan or anything on it... just MOP jackson logo.
                  Black hardware, 'Jackson' Floyd, 24 frets.
                  The guitar is certainly not mahongany, but noticably heavier than the Made in USA SL-2 2003 friend of mine bought recently.
                  Thank you,
                  Alex

Comment

Oh, there are two knobs - volume and tone (passive circuit for the tone) and three-position fender-style pickup selector.
                    Alex

Comment

Shark or dots inlays?
                      double EMG hums with no pickup rings? sounds weird. They're anchored into the body?
                      I'll need pics for this one.

Comment

trying to post the picture [image]G:\DCIM\100MSDCF\DSC00056.JPG[/image]

Did not work. Guys, forgive the newbee, how do you post the pics?

Comment

I think I figured how to do the pics:

Comment

second pic

Comment

third

Comment

Working...
                              X