Jackson guitars similar to a SLSMG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson guitars similar to a SLSMG

Okay guys here's my question. I was at Guitar Center today and I played a Jackson SLSMG...I believe that was the model. It was a soloist shape, neck through with a strings through bridge and 2 EMG-HZ pups, ebony board. It didn't have the traditional angled Jackson headstock but the diamond shaped one that goes straight out.
    ANYWAYS...the guitar was 950 dollars which is a bit out of my range. What I would like to know is if there are any other Jacksons out there that I could get in the below 600 dollar range that play and feel about the same as that guitar. Or if there's a different model that I could find on ebay that would bring it down to that range if it was used. I'm not entirely concerned about tone because I feel like if I want to get a great tone it will be because I bought a new amp and not a new guitar. What I want is a good feel, and the Jackson I played was real thin and extremely light with a very very fast neck. The neck was just real thin and for some reason played so easily. That might have been the ebony fretboard as well though.
    Thank you, you guys are always super helpful [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Jackson guitars similar to a SLSMG

Nice avatar [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Your best bet is to find an older USA SLS, USA Soloist, or 1990-94 Professional Series Soloist. Neckthrough, ebony boards, Mother Of Pearl inlays, 24 frets (22 on some SLSs, 24 on some others - as well, some SLSs had rosewood and no inlays, others had ebony with and without inlays), or a USA SL2, which was the same as an SL2H but without inlays and a JT580LP trem. I don't know of those had 24 or 22 frets.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks Newc. I've checked ebay for some of those guitars you mentioned, and have found more of these SLSMG's on there than anything else, oddly enough. Any explanation for that? Most of these usa soloists are pretty pricey as well.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
        ^^^That one is still unbidded at 520 with only 8 hours left..weird.

Comment

The SLSMG is a pretty good deal on Ebay, if it can be found 2nd hand. Rather than a "Buy It Now" from some ebay store.

Comment

Yeah, you can find an SLSMG used for 600 or even less. Mine was around $550 if I remember right without a case. If you decide to get one though, make sure to play it standing up. It is not the best balancing guitar in the world, though nothing a good leather strap can't cure.

Comment

Or you can move the front strap pin to be under the tip of the horn, so that the strap pulls the guitar upwards.
              I've never understood why after all these years manufacturers still put a strap pin on a Strat so that it lays flat out parallel to the floor, instead of up at a comfortable playing angle.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Alright guys, thanks a lot.
                One of the guys on the megadeth boards just bought one of those on ebay..and apparently there's an abundance of them on there because they were all factory 2nds stamped USED on the back of the headstock and bought out. I'm not quite sure I want to jump on one of these now..it seems like it's always better to hold out.

Comment

Theres on on ebay for about 540....

Comment

Working...
                  X