Best Choice for a new Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Choice for a new Jackson

Im wondering which is the best Jackson guitar that has some specific characteristics, since you have a lot of them, your opinion will help.
    Im only willing to spend 500 dollars on one of them, and I was wondering wich jackson guitars have reverse headstock? or is it just the DXMG.
    I have to choose very carefully because if I get a guitar that I dont like, it will be damn hard to sell it were I am located.

Thanks

Re: Best Choice for a new Jackson

where are you located........mars!

just kiddn' [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    jon

Comment

The JS1 has a reverse headstock. They get a bit of criticism for being at the bottom end of the import line, but my first Jackson was a JS1 and I have nothing but good things to say about it. It influenced my decision to go out and buy many more Jacksons.

Otherwise, I have seen some DR-3s and various reversed Dinky Professionals on eBay recently.
      sigpic

Comment

A used DR3 can be had for well under $500. It has no neck binding like the DXMG but, still are great guitars. I have one that has direct mounted pickups which I really like. Mine feels VERY similar to a DK2.

Comment

Thesed older Dinky Professionals with reversed headstock are killer guitars IMO.
          They usually sell for around $300.
          I like the ones with Trans Purpleburst and Green Burst ones.
          I bought one for $250.

Comment

Try looking for a DKMG if you don't mind an archtop, I have a well made one that plays a little better than my friends DXMG.

Comment

DXMG, DK3, DR3, RR3R, KE3R DKMG, all of these have reverse headstocks. I'm partial to the DXMG, new it can be had for under $500 & it plays & sounds great.

I used to think the reverse headstock was mandatory on all guitars, but over the last year or so, I just dont like it on the Rhoads, KV, Kelly, or Warrior guitars, it just looks out of place.
              KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
              I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

I like the traditional headstocks as well, but that's OT.

I got my new DK2 for $285 on ebay, but then had to buy a case. Don't forget the case unless you really don't want one. I could have gotten a better deal buying guitar + case rather than separate.

Also consider the appointments you want. Do you want ebony or rosewood? MOP or Plastic inlays? Bolt on or neck-thru?

Comment

Well I would like a guitar with a normal shape, like a dinky or a soloist.
                  I dont realy care if the guitar is bolt on or neck thru.
                  I don't know what is the diference between Ebony and Rosewood rather than the color.
                  If the inlays are MOP they are better, but if they were plastic I would only care that they can be easily seen while playing.
                  I realy like the reverse headstock.
                  And the guitar HAS to have 24 frets.
                  Other than that I cant find any other characteristic.

And I am located in Colombia (Jueputa Patria la Verga, Nada mejor que Colombia)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious as to why it has to have 24 frets? Does anyone actually play past the 20th fret anymore? And if you do, don't.........for crying out loud, its annoying [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious as to why it has to have 24 frets? Does anyone actually play past the 20th fret anymore? And if you do, don't.........for crying out loud, its annoying [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, they don't call it the "dusty area" for nothing!!

I have never actually played up to the 22nd fret, until I was learning a Dokken solo. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

for the most part, I don't play past the 12th fret most of the time.

Of course, my new DK2 has 24 of them, half of which most likely won't get used too often.

Mike
                      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

My guitars for the most part have to have 24 frets, but the reason is simple. It makes them easier to get to the others, in my feeble wittle bwain...
                        Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

I have to agree with the other guys - 24 frets should not be you main concern compared to something like Ebony vs. Rosewood.

Let me give you an example. I bought a newer DK2 with rosewood and plastic inlays. They look very good, with swirls of color throught them. But then I got a guitar with a Fusion Ebony neck and MOP inlays. It looks totally killer because real MOP almost glows in the dark because it's so reflective, and against the dark black fretboard it just looks "EVIL". This came on an all black Kelly body and it looks very good.

The Rosewood / Plastic inlays does look very good by itself, but the ebony neck looks like it will bite you in the dark like an aligator if you are not looking.

Comment

I say go with the DKMG--the ones I've played have the most playability and best sound out of all of the current import Jackson models...well, except for the SLSMG, that is, but no reverse headstock on that one.

Comment

For fretboards, ebony is more expensive. I believe it is a harder wood than rosewood and will have different sonic characteristics. One has to carefully A-B rosewood vs. ebony guitars to see if you notice the difference. Ebony does tend to dry out faster than rosewood and can crack if not oiled and maintained regularly -- especially if the guitar is kept in a place of very low humidity.

Comment

Working...
                              X