Best Choice for a new Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Choice for a new Jackson

Ebony and rosewood do have different sonic characteristics, but it's unlikely that you will hear a difference. Two pieces of ebony cut from the same exact tree can sound totally different from eachother and a piece of rosewood and ebony can sound exactly like eachother. Mostly, it boils down to looks and maintenance, ebony needs to be oiled once every couple months or so maybe every month where you live (but don't worry, people skip oilings, no biggy).

Is there a certain bridge type your partial too? I'd suggest a fixed bridge rather than a floyd, but that's just my personal preference.

Comment

I say DXMG. It fits your criteria.
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

RE: ebony vs. rose wood. I think my poind was underscored. Carefully comparing would rightly include blind tests so that the conclusion would not be predetermined. All other things being equal, it is very hard to tell the difference. Some people do claim to hear it. I don't.

Comment

definately look for an older used jackson or charvel. I cant say anything but good things about these older japanese axes. I bought my Charvel fusion for $250 with case, and some days i feel it totally outplays my $1000+ jacksons, and USA RHOADS!

can't get a better deal than that.

Comment

Don't get too hung up on the oiling thing. I have an unfinished ESP guitar with an ebony fretboard that hadn't been oiled in 15 years. No issues, but it was extremely thirsty.

That said, I just bought an RR1 that has a cracked ebony board - most likely from lack of moisture.

But, I have a Fusion ebony board that was in terrible shape. After a good cleaning, looks great and no cracks.

Comment

Working...
            X