Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why HZ?

Hi,

I'm new here, this's my firs question to you :-)

Recently I've bought a 'B-Ware' WRXT from Germany on ebay (for a VERY good price, hopefully it arrives in a few days) but it seems that before I could even touch it I decided to change the pups to EMGs.

Why EMG? 'cos a month ago I tried WRMG and WRXT at a music shop and MG sounded _definitely_ better (on a TSL combo)!
    The only thing I don't understand, is why Jackson uses theese passive HZs (H3?) instead of 81 (or even 81-85 combo)?? I don't think the active ones are worse??
    What are the experiences?

A lot of people (even here) recommends SH6 Distortion from SD, but I don't think it's the best decision. I've got one in my SG for bridge, and yes it's got a high output and a detailing sound but... not enough low freq 'beat'. It's seems to be too narrow to me.
    What about 81 and 85? Do they have a mor wide freq range?
    EMG recommends 81 for bridge, others recommend 85 for bridge. Experiences?

Re: Why HZ?

3 words:

$$$

The 81 will sound thinner, the 85 in the bridge position adds more warmth, at least for me personally.
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

jackson use Hz 4 or Hz 3 ?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        A lot of people (even here) recommends SH6 Distortion from SD, but I don't think it's the best decision. I've got one in my SG for bridge, and yes it's got a high output and a detailing sound but... not enough low freq 'beat'. It's seems to be too narrow to me.
        What about 81 and 85? Do they have a mor wide freq range?
        EMG recommends 81 for bridge, others recommend 85 for bridge. Experiences?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not going to get lots of low-end out of an EMG81, either. In terms of frequency spread, I find it very comparable to a Duncan Distortion, if a bit more 'defined' sounding. An EMG85 has more low-end, but I find them somewhat dull sounding. Ultimately, both the EMG81 and Distortion are pretty even, and a lot of the low-end would then come from your amp EQ settings, in my opinion.

Comment

Thanks for the answers!

There are a few things I learned:

1. 81/85 should definitely be better than HZ - if HZ was ok to me, I'll be satisfied with a ZakkW set of EMG.

2.Maybe I should re-think theese "fat sound" things as I plan to play completely another style of music with Warrior than with my current SG. (so even SH6 should also be perfect - and it's easy to try as I have it at home :-)

Comment

You can always try the SH6, if you don't like it go from there. I'm a fanatic of the 85's in the bridge since I like a slightly rounder, warmer tone, which I can never seem to get from the 81's. But the beauty of it all is that the newer ones have the quick connects on them so you can swap them out without ever touching a soldering iron again after the initial install. I swapped the 81 and 85 in my SLSMG 6 or 7 times before I finally kept them in the positions where they are now.

Comment

The only reason they put the HZ's in there is cost cutting. Also, who in their right mind actually keeps stock pickups anyway.

Comment

errrr hehehe eerrrr....i seem to really like the sound of my stock HZ's but maybe its cuz of the turbocharger (i have a DKMG) never changed stock pups btw *dont hit me*

Comment

I have a SLSMG and I thought the EMG HZ3's that were in it SUCKED.. I put a SH12 Demon and a Jazz(neck) in it and the guitar came to life...
                  Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

how did u go around the turbocharger while installing the new pups....or does the SLSMG not have one??

Comment

I have the DXMG (no turbocharger) & I like the sound of the HZ's in it. Not saying it couldn't be better, but I have heard pickups that sound much worse. I think they have plenty of output/power. And it was the 1st set of pickups that when I got a good tone w/ bridge pickup, that the neck pickup didn't sound muddy.
                      KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                      I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

I have a Jackson DXMG also, and the HZs sound fine. Of course, I will eventually add active EMGs or Duncans to replace the HZs. As someone asked, it came with HZ-H4, not H3.

Comment

they come with HZ4's

if you want a fuckin heavy rythm, get a 85 in the bridge and put it through a 5150 .. if you like the In Flames tone that is
                          You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

HZs are much better than most other manufacturer's stock pups. Hell, the HZs are better than the original passive Select pups EMG used to make. The Select weren't all that bad (they were Korean made), but they were a little weak in output and very dark/bassy sounding.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

as other's said and 81 will have more of an edge to it and less low end and the 85 will be fatter and more full sounding. the distortion i would say is a bit more organic sounding than the emgs and sits kinda b/t an 81 and an 85 when it comes to the low end. i've used all 3 of them and of the 3 i think i like the 85 best.

as for why HZs as others again said...cost cutting.

-Mike
                              www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Working...
                              X