Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing EMG-HZ's with actives in DKMG

Hello
    I want to replace the stock EMG HZ-3 pickups in my DKMG with an 81/85 or 81/60 set. Has anyone done this? Is it an easy DIY deal or do I need to take it to a shop? Do you think I should keep the Turbo Charger or is it unnecessary with the active PUPs?

Thanks
    Karl

Re: Replacing EMG-HZ\'s with actives in DKMG

EXACTLY the same question ive been meaning to ask...im in the same situation and have the same confusion regarding the turbocharger...though i think passive EMG's with turbocharger = active EMG's....i may be wrong....wuts the difference?

Comment

The HZs are passive pickups, period. The turbocharger is just a battery powered preamp, it doesn't make the pickups active.

The active EMGs are wired directly to the battery/batteries, and each pickup has its own preamp. Which ever is better is a matter of taste and opinion. Me, I prefer the actives.

When you switch to the actives, you can keep the turbocharger if you wish. As far as I've managed to figure out, it should work with the new pickups. I'd recommend you to run the guitar on 18 volts though, from two batteries wired in series.

The active EMGs will require new pots and jack, but they are delivered with those. One thing to consider is whether you'd need long shafted pots for the DKMG, since it has an arch top...but you'd just need to have a look at the existing pots to know for sure.

Comment

The active EMG's will be *so* much better to your ears. I've had both and now it's strictly 81's baby! I really don't get it...I had an alnico and ceramic H4 set and they were weak. And, get this, they retail for very nearly the same amount as the actives! They were supposed to be the highest output HZ's but they were waaaay skinny-no gain, no sizzle, no grind. I sent em back. The 81,however, is merciless if it's metal you crave.

Comment

Y'know I've never understood the reasoning behind these questions [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I mean, pickup manufacturers follow a standardized design regarding width, height, and mounting format (i.e. feet with screws and springs), so it should be a no-brainer that you can replace any humbucker with any humbucker. Obviously not all guitar manufacturers follow the same standard regarding their pickup routes (some don't cut their routes to fit a covered pickup, and Jackson used to cut their single routes to fit only EMGs and their own shapes but not Fender's shapes), so where does the concern that one pickup cannot be replaced by another come from? Is it a series of myths floating around? Urban legends?

Inquiring and confused minds want to know [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Well, I think if you're new to guitar tech and looking to replace the pups, it's natural to be a little concerned. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, the bit we've failed to mention so far, is the soldering. This is the trickiest bit of the whole process. If you know how to solder, there's really no problem. If you don't, you may want to leave it to a tech to get it properly done. Learning to solder is rather easy, but learning on a brand new set of EMGs may not be the best way... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but the first time I swapped a pickup yeeeeears ago I jumped in and did it. I probably didn't do it right, but at least I tried first and asked for help second [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

To be honest...so did I. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Hello

Wow, thanks for the responses. I probably should have been more specific. I am not concerned about the routes, but was wondering about the electronics.
                  I did download the installation schematics from EMG and will probably try it myself. If it was just a matter of removing the old PUPs and reconnecting the leads to the new ones I wouldn't hesitate, but it looks as if all the pots and the jack are going to need to be replaced. The jack is already wired to a 9volt supply, so maybe that doesn't need to be replaced, but then its wired to the turbo charger and not the PUPs, so then ...... see what I mean, sounds easy at first but I think it's going to be a lot of swapping of parts and soldering. I just thought that this was somewhat of a common mod for these guitars and someone might have done it here. I'll give it a shot and post back my results.

Karl

Comment

Here are instructions on how to wire the actives up with the turbocharger:
                    http://www.emginc.com/downloads/wiri...ams/EMG-AB.pdf

When you put the actives in, you're replacing the pots and the jack, so it takes a bit more work than an ordinary pickup swap - but I wouldn't say it's difficult. It may take you an hour or two though. But good luck and report back to us! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                    X