HELP!! Im losing faith in my Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HELP!! Im losing faith in my Jackson

I've seen TOMs with the ramps half-and-half.

The main difference between a Nashville and ABR-1 style bridge is the retaining wire that goes over the intonation screws, though I've never understood the purpose of that wire, and I think only Gibson uses it.
    Jackson uses Gotoh bridges that do not have the retainer.

Try replacing the bridge with a better one (don't fall for the TonePros hype - it's a pot metal Gotoh with locking screws).
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      don't fall for the TonePros hype - it's a pot metal Gotoh with locking screws

[/ QUOTE ]
      Eh, I love those Tonepros bridges. Granted I don't play death metal or do any radical detunings that would test just how well it "locks" but the thing was rock solid and alot better than the gotoh thats on my Bc Rich as far as maintaining tone and tune. I've heard good things about the Badass bridges though, but someone else here would have to speak to that.

Comment

what about a Gibralter>
        Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

Well heres what I discovered over the weekend:

* Damping the strings behind the bridge and nut didnt make any difference.

* I tried turning the bridge around and it also seemed to make no difference. The way its setup apears to be symmetrical, ie : three saddles facing one way and the other three facing the opposite way, so it can easily be flipped without making a difference. I also noticed that the high E & A do indeed touch the back of the bridge, but nothing I can do about that at the moment.

* I tightened all the hardware and checked for string buzz: still no difference!

Then I made a breakthrough. Whilst tuning up all my guitars backstage there was a fair bit of background noise. I strum on the guitar for a while after tuning out of habit, and the DeArmond could just be heard over the background noise, but when I srummed the Jackson all I heard was "bzzzzzz"!! I can only assume this means that there is a very small amount of fret buzz going on, too tiny too notice under normal conditions, but it showed up strong with the background noise..
          Im going to take it for a proper setup tommorrow and see if that fixes the issue. I really hope it works, coz I had to use the DeArmond for the gig, and while it sounded great I couldnt play for shit on it! Thtas when I really strated missing my Jackson!!

Comment

Cool, although I had hoped to get that at a fire sale....
            Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I've seen TOMs with the ramps half-and-half.

The main difference between a Nashville and ABR-1 style bridge is the retaining wire that goes over the intonation screws, though I've never understood the purpose of that wire, and I think only Gibson uses it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Nashville bridge has a lot wider travel than an ABR-1. You have a lot more control of intonation, an manufacturers can be sloppier with bridge placement.

The Nashville is also a stronger bridge - ABR-1's can collapse over time from string pressure.

The retaining wire to keep the saddles from falling off an ABR-1 if you break a string. All Nashville bridges don't need the wire they are a newer design.

[ QUOTE ]
              Jackson uses Gotoh bridges that do not have the retainer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotoh's ABR-1 use tiny c-clips to keep the saddles from falling off.

[ QUOTE ]
              Try replacing the bridge with a better one (don't fall for the TonePros hype - it's a pot metal Gotoh with locking screws).

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Drill and Tap a Gotoh and you have a Tonepros.

If he has a Gotoh, I'm not sure what would be better. A Schaller maybe?

Comment

Hooray! My faith is restored!! Got it set-up nicely and jammed with it last night: Fuckin Awesome! The sound was nice and crisp with no ugly harmonics, and it was a dream to play..
                Ive certainly learned a valuable lesson here, and I gotta thank all of you for your help!! Cheers guys, JCF rocks!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

How much does a guitar just like that sell for new in the US?

Comment

Actaully you cant buy this guitar as is. I got the neck from a DKMGTFF and the body from a DKMGT (Trans Red), because you can only get that neck on a Black guitar only. I'm not sure what these guitars would actually cost you in the US, but for me it was well worth it.

Comment

Working...
                    X