Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KE3 pick up´s...

Hi.
    I´ve had my KE3 for awhile now and im really happy with it.Now i want to do something with it to improve it.I don´t really know what to do and im not sure why i should do it...I think i want to change the pickups...But im not sure what type i should get.Dimarzio,Seymour duncan or Emg?
    I already have a Emg 85 i think...or is it 81?Im not sure.It´s the cheapes one...i have it on another crappy guitar.
    Is it a good choise for my KE3?What about Dimarzio Fred? and Double whammy? or Seymour duncan SH-6 or the Invader.What about others?
    I really don´t have a clue...Haven´t tryed any of them.Im not even sure what type of sound i want...I play mostly (or atleast i try...) metal in the style of Rhapsody,Kamelot,Gamma ray and various types of 80´s metal.DIO,Joe Satriani and Dream theater....There is a big different in sound here,but is there some mics that would fit well over this kind of stuff?
    It there something else i should/can do with my guitar to make it better?
    Thanks.

Re: KE3 pick up´s...

Get Duncan SH-6 bridge and SH-5 neck pickups, and swap the tremolo for an Original Floyd Rose from Carvin [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gjermundsen:
      Hi.
      I´ve had my KE3 for awhile now and im really happy with it.Now i want to do something with it to improve it.I don´t really know what to do and im not sure why i should do it...I think i want to change the pickups...But im not sure what type i should get.Dimarzio,Seymour duncan or Emg?
      I already have a Emg 85 i think...or is it 81?Im not sure.It´s the cheapes one...i have it on another crappy guitar.
      Is it a good choise for my KE3?What about Dimarzio Fred? and Double whammy? or Seymour duncan SH-6 or the Invader.What about others?
      I really don´t have a clue...Haven´t tryed any of them.Im not even sure what type of sound i want...I play mostly (or atleast i try...) metal in the style of Rhapsody,Kamelot,Gamma ray and various types of 80´s metal.DIO,Joe Satriani and Dream theater....There is a big different in sound here,but is there some mics that would fit well over this kind of stuff?
      It there something else i should/can do with my guitar to make it better?
      Thanks.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">make sure they were tb spaced for your floyd , hey newc what are those pu's duncan distortions ? //Steve

Comment

I'd go for either a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge or a Duncan Distortion. Steer clear of really high output pickups if you've got an amp with a lot of gain, because a mid-gain pup sounds much nicer with a high gain setup.

As for the neck, maybe a 59.

Comment

SH-5 Duncan Custom
          SH-6 Duncan Distortion

Comment

Are you saying i should get the Sh-5 and Sh-6 because they are right for my music or because you got them on your guitar?Since you were the only one to reply,and i can only think of two reason why you were the only one...
            1 no one else care
            or hopefully...
            2 everybody agrees that the Sh-5 and Sh-6 is the right choise for me..
            Well i trust you and i ordered them today.Will hopefully get them before next week.
            Thank you for your help.

Comment

It took some time but today i finally got them.Is the schematic found at
              http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...1vol_3way.html the right one?

Morten.

Comment

I care! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

No, Ron, you don't [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Yes, that's the right diagram [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

And I recommended those pickups because for the types of Metal you listed, they are the best passive pickups (that I've tried). You could use EMGs, but you do need some large amount of EQ (rack unit, etc) to tweak the tone, as EMGs have a very flat response. They don't add bass or highs or mids like passive pickups do.

Newc
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

When I had my Kelly XLR, I put two Invaders in it... talk about a lot of low mids and bass punch!!! I thought they sounded really good in it. They're pretty high output, too, so they should be kept a little lower in the pickup bezels, or lower the gain on your amp a little.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yes, Chuck, I do! [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                        Yes, Chuck, I do! [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Is Newc going by the name Chuck now? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I thought Kai Hansen of Gamma Ray used two 81's in his ESP or isn't that an option since kai has a rack EQ rigged up?

Comment

I thought Kai Hansen of Gamma Ray used two 81's in his ESP or isn't that an option since kai has a rack EQ rigged up? i'm sorta in the same dilemma, but with a performer kelly and a 5150 amp and up until now i was looking at 81/89 or something

Comment

I think i need some help here...Im really confused...Im new to this pick up change stuff and my english is probably too poor to explain my problems [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

On the seymour duncan page it´s written "green and bare soldered to ground" and black to 3-way switch...sounds ok but when i uninstalled the duncan design´s i saw that the bare one on the bridge pick up was connected to the other side of the switch,the black was there too.Then another black went from there to the volum pot.The green one was connected where the schematic tells me to connect the black..
                              Since i wasn´t sure last night when doing this i just connected the new pick up the same way as the old one to see if it worked..it did but there were some noise not much but a little..i didn´t solder the wires cause i wasn´t sure what i was doing so maybe that´s why there were some noise..but anyway..looking at the schematic
                              the neck pick up should be connected the same way only the black should be connected to another point on the switch..also here my duncan design´s green wire was connected to the switch and both bare and black to ground..does anyone know what im talking about??
                              Please help me im so confused....
                              [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                              Thank you.

Morten

Comment

Working...
                              X