Finally got EMG's into the RR3...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got EMG's into the RR3...

Cool!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I've never tried a 58, but I hear its sound is like a P-90 single coil and is a little noisy.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: Finally got EMG\'s into the RR3...

True that. Well actually I've never had a guitar with a P90, so I can't compare - but that is what EMG are saying, so I see no reason to doubt it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

'bane

Comment

Big EMG 85 fan here!! I like it better than the 81, more tight bass sound, but a little less highs, no biggy, I can`t solo [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

Finally got EMG\'s into the RR3...

Being a student on a loan can cause problems with aquiring guitars and parts for them. I couldn't afford new pickups, but managed to find a used EMG-58 from one guy, a used EMG-85 from another, used 25k pots from a third, etc... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

BTW, the 25k pots I got hold of were the big kind, not the small ones that EMG supplies - and they had long shafts to boot, so they take up a lot of space in the control cavity. I won't be able to fit two batteries into this guitar, but that I can live with.

It took me a while to get around to actually installing the pickups, because...the damn morons cut the cables. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] They cut them damn short too, so I had to extend them.
        [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] People who cut pickup cables oughtta be castrated - with a mallet.

Anyway, i sat down last night, put on good old "Demanufacture" by Fear Factory and soldered them in. It took about an hour and a half, including the prep work on the pickups. About halfway through I was seeing small green guys coming out of the walls, which made me realize I forgot to open the window... [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Now I have the 58 at the neck and the 85 at the bridge...and FINALLY this guitar sounds good. Hell, it sounds great! Gone is the boomy sound and the muddiness the Jackson pups produced. Now it has that tight, aggressive sound that a pointy guitar should have. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

And the rest of the night was spent playing until dawn broke... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

'bane

Comment

I remember the first time i did a soldering job ^.^ It was when i put the EMGs in my bass. Did you get that solder smell stuck in your nose? o.O For the next month after that, when I ate Ben & Jerry's Half Baked, the cookie dough in it tasted like the solder smell >.< blagh!

Comment

Hehe yeah, that smell sticks in your nose. =)
            But this time it was the smell of burnt shrink wrap that stuck in my nose for a couple of days (I got impatient and brushed over the shrink wrapping with the solder iron - the smell is awful).

Comment

did you know that smell makes you impotent?
              no joke! those solder gases are toxic and influence body chemistry that way...

yaaaahh, I know a lot of things! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Yup, there's lead in it, which is very toxic. I'd think impotency is a long-term hazard though, after continous exposure to soldering fumes. Critical lead-poisoning is not very cool either. =P

Comment

Working...
                X