DK-2 Aftermarket Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK-2 Aftermarket Upgrades

I just got my DK-2 HRF, and since I have a little money saved up, I thought that I could splurge on an upgrade.

What do you guys think it needs most? OFR? Pickup change? What?

Re: DK-2 Aftermarket Upgrades

How are the frets on the DK-2??? As big as the USA soloists??? I'm looking for a guitar with big frets that are nice for digging into some good bends.

Comment

The frets are pretty big.
      As for upgrades needed most, that depends on whether you're playing in a band. I'd go with the OFR first if you're playing live just to have the better trem without the fear of it crapping out or going soft at a gig, but definitely see about replacing the pickups as well. I routed the neck pickup of mine to fit a Duncan Custom, put on a maple-boarded neck, and put on an OFR. I also put a Distortion in the bridge. Man, talk about a vicious guitar [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The trem on my DK2 is a rock, but I don't know about the newer JT500LPs, they don't seem as tough as the older models. I'd say the pickups are the most needed upgrade, as the Duncan Designed are a bit thin.

Comment

I did both with mine. I put in an OFR, a pair of DiMarzio fast track 1's and a DiMarzio Evolution humbucker. Sounds great!!! It's my main stage guitar.

Comment

I'm not going to be gigging anytime soon, so I guess I'll change the pups first.

Would it be a problem making place for the battery if I dropped EMGs into her?

I was thinking 85/SA/SA.... [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Any better passive solutions?

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
              The frets are pretty big.
              As for upgrades needed most, that depends on whether you're playing in a band. I'd go with the OFR first if you're playing live just to have the better trem without the fear of it crapping out or going soft at a gig, but definitely see about replacing the pickups as well. I routed the neck pickup of mine to fit a Duncan Custom, put on a maple-boarded neck, and put on an OFR. I also put a Distortion in the bridge. Man, talk about a vicious guitar [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">hey newc didn't you say that if you swaped the import springs with Orignal floyd springs it made a huge diffrence ? I am kinda asking for myself as well. //Steve

Comment

Swapping just the springs didn't make a difference, but I did have to swap them out as the Jackson springs would resonate with certain notes - which was annoying [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

And the control cavity does leave enough room for the battery - I had an 89/SA/SA combo in mine for a while. I even had the battery clip mounted to the side of the cavity, and plenty of room to change it.

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:

I had an 89/SA/SA combo in mine for a while. Newc
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">How did they sound and what amp were you using?

Comment

Originally posted by doommaker:
                    The trem on my DK2 is a rock, but I don't know about the newer JT500LPs, they don't seem as tough as the older models.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Did the DK2 ever come with the JT500LP? They've got the JT580LP, which is better.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X