Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DXMG - EMG 85 or 81 or 89

I just picked up a DXMG. yea for me! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Now I gotta decide on what EMGs to put in.

I'm used to Duncans, usuually using a distortion or JB in the bridge and 59's in the neck.

I'm a Hard Rock/80's Metal kinda guy, not too much Thrash or Death.. (although I do get into it from time to time)

I was thinking that an 81 might be a little too much for my music tastes, and an 85 in the bridge and perhaps a 89 neck would work better?

Anybody with similar tastes found a combo that works?

Thanks

Re: DXMG - EMG 85 or 81 or 89

I really like the 85 in the bridge with a 60 or 81 in the neck; though, I like my neck pickups a little bit brighter. If you like warmer neck pups, an 85 or 89 would be great (they're basically the same sound, just the 89 has the single coil option).
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

How bout 2 85s?

Comment

I've got the 81/85 combo in my DXMG. The 81 is awesome with distortion, but sounds very thin and trebly to me clean. The 85 in the neck, is pretty muddy dirty, with a lot of bass, but sounds great clean. I was thinking of taking the 85 out of the neck and putting a 60 in it's place...just haven't bought the pickup yet. Anyone want to trade a 85 for a 60? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Koz:
          I've got the 81/85 combo in my DXMG. The 81 is awesome with distortion, but sounds very thin and trebly to me clean. The 85 in the neck, is pretty muddy dirty, with a lot of bass, but sounds great clean. I was thinking of taking the 85 out of the neck and putting a 60 in it's place...just haven't bought the pickup yet. Anyone want to trade a 85 for a 60? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You find the 85 to be muddy in the neck? Is your battery dying? I've got a Dinky with the 81/85 combo, a Hamer with 81/81 combo and the other Dinky has the 85/60 combo. I've never heard an EMG get muddy before and think they're great in all positions, just the 81 has a ceramic magnet and is brighter than the 85 with more mids and an alnico magnet.

Comment

I'll have to check that...I normally change batteries every string change, just in case...it's probably been a month or two since a fresh battery...I know the EMG's don't suck a lot of juice. The 85 to me just has way to much bass...I've been tweaking my EQ to see if I can balance it out and haven't been able to so far...

Comment

o.O every few months!? I'd do it twice a year at most, and i play A LOT.

Comment

Yeah, I change my battery only like once a year. If the sound is too dark for your tastes, then an 81 or 60 in the neck will probably be better for you. Maybe first switch around the 85 and 81 and see how you like that sound. It will be real easy to do since they have the quick-connect cable system.

Comment

Hey can someone post a picture of some EMG pickups with the Quick-Connect cable system.
                  KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                  I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

i've a 81/60 in my DXMG, and i've not a single complaint about it. I've also had a 81/85 in my old PS6, and that worked well, although I didnt like the 85 as much as the 60.

~eric

Comment

I prefer the 81 in the bridge over the 85. The 81 is brighter, but it will certainly do the rhythm guitar 'chunk' very fine--in fact, I think better than the 85 because it doesn't overemphasize the low end.

Call me crazy, but I also love the 81 in the neck. My old Model 5 had an 81/81 combo, and the middle position with the two 81's yielded some very interesting possibilities using a clean sound--almost Tele-like. Plus, you can always dial off the high end using the tone control if you want to get jazzy with the neck pickup, but you can't very well 'dial-in' the high end on an 85 in the neck if you want to go the other way.

Comment

And what about the SD livewire's? I am really curious about SD's actives. Has anyone tried these?

Comment

I also am wanting too change the HZ's out of my DXMG. Will the 81,85 or 89 use the same pin connecter that is with the current wiring on the DXMG?

Ric

Comment

ric,

no. you need to change the pots, since they have different values on them, and also install a battery holder. If you are skilled with soldering, this should take less than an hour.

~eric

Comment

Thanks Eric, I will get the complete kit for the 81 then.

Ric

Comment

Working...
                              X