Finally found a Soloist that "fits"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally found a Soloist that "fits"

Ok, in my seemingly never-ending search for guitars that are "me", and having gone through 3 USA Soloists (a 1990 Coral Sea, a 1985 San Dimas Custom, and a 94 USA Archtop Custom that were NOT "me"), I think I've found the Soloist that truly is "me" - a 1990 Soloist Pro (the one I posted in the WWYD2 thread in General). I spent most of last night rebuilding the trem from StewMac parts and stuck an EMG 81/SA/SA combo in it. At first I just had the 81 in as the black SAs I have are for Strat routes (wires coming outta the middle, not the EZ-plug), so they wouldn't fit the old-style route.
    Then I dug out a pair of white SAs I got from Pete last year or so (which DO have the EZ-plug, but don't have the EMG wires), attached some regular wires to the prongs, and wired it up.
    I honestly liked the 81 better without the SAs on the same battery, so I rewired it as an 18 volt system, with the singles using one battery and the 81 on its own. Tweaked the trem a bit to get it flat, and now this b1tch screams like a muthafugga [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, I'll post pics later - till then imagine an all-black Soloist with two white singles [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc

[ June 24, 2003, 07:37 AM: Message edited by: Newc ]
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Finally found a Soloist that "fits"

Congrats on the find ^.^ I have yet to find one that fits me perfectly as well. I'm still lookin at those Rhoads modles though!

Comment

The 81 sounded very full and aggressive when it was the only pickup in the guitar - about like a Duncan Distortion. Once I added the SAs, the 81 kinda had a bit more "glassiness" or Strattish tone - not so much weak like a single-coil but kinda raspy.
      Once I put the SAs on their own battery, the 81 regained some of its beefiness, and the SA's tone improved as well - deeper bass response in the neck, less "telephone sound" when the neck is used with the middle. Before, the neck and middle together sounded kinda thin and brittle like the intro to "Call of Ktulu", but now they sound like the intro to "One" - a little better bass to smooth out the sharp highs.

The 81 doesn't sound as good as it did when it was the only pickup, most likely due to the fact that it is now running through the switch AND the knobs. Before it was just straight to the knob. But it does have a better sound overall since it's getting the full battery.

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks.

I'm debating whether to put a Duncan Custom in the bridge and a Little '59 in the neck, versus EMGing it. I may try the Duncan set-up first before I gut all the electronics for EMGs. Mine's a late '93, so it has a Bill Lawrence 500xl with J100 singles. The BL's not bad, but it's a bit microphonic and has a somewhat tinny high-end.

Comment

Newc, seeing as I now own two of your prior Soloists, what was it about them that turned you off? The Coral Sea has one of the finest necks of any Jackson, and the SD, well, dayum, what can I say bad about that? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Just wondering your take on it...
          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
          Gotta get away from here.
          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Newc, I'm considering going 81/SA/SA in my new (to me) Soloist, as well. What was it about the 81 that you liked better without having other pickups drawing on the same battery? And how much different was it?

Comment

Joe - I could never quite put my finger on what exactly I didn't like about them, just a feeling that something wasn't "right". I do recall the Coral Sea's neck feeling a bit hard - not as in hard to fret but like it was empty, cold, and lifeless. Of course, that's as much a part of the individual player's personality as note selection and phrasing.

I liked everything about the San Dimas - the heavy weight, the frets and board, the h-s-h pickups, the hhefty neck, and even the non-recessed Floyd. There was just something about it that I was not comfy with, and I still can't put my finger on it; The headstock was not a problem for me, and the 3 mini-toggles was kinda awkward, but being a switch-freak myself, it took only minor adjusting-to - it's just one of those intangible things, like something you see out of the corner of your eye, but can never see straight-on.

Newc

[ June 25, 2003, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: Newc ]

Comment

I hear ya, bro! Everyone has their own interpretations on it. Through my rig the Coral sounds very nice, better than the SD. But I'm trying new pickups in it, have EMG's now, might go back to the Duncans or something else. One thing I've discovered, surprisingly, is that the old Jackson USA wound pickups really sound pretty good in the older SD guitars, strange, isn't it?
                "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                Gotta get away from here.
                Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

'kin 'kers....*is bitter because he can't afford any USA guitars much less to go through 3*...of course...I'm also unemployed...so maybe I shouldn't b*tch [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

The only one I really miss is the Archtop, but it had string-thru/tunamagic. If it woulda had a Floyd, I'da married it [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Ozz - Pre-Approved Credit Cards mean never having to say "I found a job" [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

[ June 27, 2003, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: Newc ]

Comment

Working...
                    X